How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-09-2009
tfs star

Christmas 09
Do you start early? Apparantly the madness has already begun.
Quote:
Nearly half of shoppers have already begun filling bags with Christmas gifts, according to research from Asda.

As many as 48% of the 8,000 people surveyed said they had already purchased some presents, three-quarters of whom claimed it was a way to spread their festive spending.
More than one in ten, or 11%, said Christmas cards were not on their lists, with more than half saying it was an attempt at cost-cutting.
Asda spokeswoman Jennifer England said: “With only three more pay days until Christmas, many of our customers have started their festive shopping earlier than ever in a bid to spread the costs this year. People might think we’re crazy for selling gifts already, but our customers are telling us it’s what they want so we’re doing all we can to help them.
“By spreading the cost of Christmas and buying gifts early, our customers are making sure that they can have a Christmas to remember whilst avoiding any last minute credit card splurges that will leave them paying off the bill well into 2010.”
retail-week.com

So what have you bought? What are you buying?

22-09-2009
tfs star

My mom has already started but I try to wait until November, usually black Friday. I find that when I start too early, I'll store stuff away and sometimes completely forget about it. This is making me excited, I love Christmas shopping. . . but I really have no idea what to get anyone as of now.

22-09-2009
backstage pass

CHRIIIIIISSSTTTMASSSSS!

I love christmas so much....although the yearly awkward conversation with my boyfriends mother telling her that I don't want to go to their house for christmas day is never fun. Leave us alone! We want to sit at home eating BRILLIANT roast potatoes!

As for shopping, I tend to leave it till november...then you know for certain you'll not end up buying something for someone that they could go out and buy themselves.

23-09-2009
In Bloom

Thankfully, my mum is going to Thailand, so I don't have to pretend that I celebrate Christmas...it's also cheaper not to No, seriously, no Christmas for me this year. I'm going to stay at home and wait for the burglars.

we were in love

23-09-2009
V.I.P.

Christmas shopping starts for me two paychecks after I get a job-the first one, I have to get some clothes and makeup, but the second, I start on stuff for my mum. I'm planning on getting her a MAC blush (Gingerly), a couple fun necklaces, and then a pair of Fit Flops. For my brother, I'm thinking of getting him a video game, and for my Dad, I would do two gift cards: a $50 GC for Panera, because he goes there every day for breakfast, and $50 at Jos A Bank, where he gets most of his clothes.

23-09-2009
tfs star

As much as I plan in advance or think I know what I'm getting people, most of my Xmas shopping is done like a week before lol

23-09-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
CHRIIIIIISSSTTTMASSSSS!

I love christmas so much....although the yearly awkward conversation with my boyfriends mother telling her that I don't want to go to their house for christmas day is never fun. Leave us alone! We want to sit at home eating BRILLIANT roast potatoes!
Hahaha I love that!

24-09-2009
windowshopping

+1 Buying gifts for people are a lot of fun but the actual Holiday is a bummer.
Everyone excepts time and there aren't enough hours in the day.

Noblesse oblige

I already bought some Christmas ornaments in August but it was because I was in Poland and they sell it all year.
Though I LOVE Christmas, I don't like to start it early because then it has already faded when the real Christmas comes - I prefer to start right before the 24th but then I keep my decorations until end of January.

24-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainsbourg View Post
As much as I plan in advance or think I know what I'm getting people, most of my Xmas shopping is done like a week before lol
That is so totally me! Then I am frantic and everyone either gets gift cards or a raincheck

24-09-2009
backstage pass

My husband and I adore christmas... we always buy each other far to much and have started looking already... we both write down a wish list of about £1000 of stuff! We usually end up spending between £2000 to £2500 on each other which most people I know will think is redic... We just love the whole sitting round the tree and pressie opening that morning and also we both love the shopping which has already started... Although I think he does most of his on line for me now as its so much easier and he gets embarrassed going into womens shops... although to be honest he is a fab shopper for me... At least 90% success rate which is fab for a man!

WSG x

24-09-2009
front row

with the growing unemployment christmas retailers won't be happy

25-09-2009
front row

I've never tried shopping early but I'm already thinking about what to get now. My boyfriend is the hardest person in the world to shop for. He's the opposite of materialistic (although he was extremely happy with the backpack I bought him as his going-back-to-school gift), and his perception is that if there's something he likes, he'll get it for himself! ughhh I hate shopping for other people.

25-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_25th View Post
I've never tried shopping early but I'm already thinking about what to get now. My boyfriend is the hardest person in the world to shop for. He's the opposite of materialistic (although he was extremely happy with the backpack I bought him as his going-back-to-school gift), and his perception is that if there's something he likes, he'll get it for himself! ughhh I hate shopping for other people.
I have a few friends like that... my wifes dad is a constant pain... he doesn't really seem to be into anything... We have found the best thing to do is go round the week before and have a chat... deliberately bring up things with pointed questions and try and draw up a list of even just his interests... say its the outdoors... then go to the shops without any real pre conceived idea apart from the outdoors... and something often pops up... another good way is the gift finder on ebay! Even if you dont shop on ebay its good for ideas...

I tend to think i'm a good pressie buyer but I do prob put a lot of time and effort into it... Like I always have a big christmas list on my computer which runs from about now with everyone ive got to buy for... ideas... then what I buy and the price... Im sad that way with lists but I have spreadsheets for everything in life! I guess im just a bit ocd on organisation...

Failing that though just ask the person... or gift vouchers... but I always think gift vouchers are a bit like you could not be bothered!!!

WSG x

11-11-2009
rising star

I have turned into a complete christmas-a-holic. This year I have put half of all of the presents on hold or lay-by. I have had shop assistants order me things in and as of this morning my first christmas gifts are on their way to me (for other people). The reason why I am getting ready so early is because I love seeing all of the presents sitting under my tree and I have an undying need to buy people gifts
I don't really care what other people buy me because I am happy with most and understand lots of people have limited funds, but just in case I buy myself presents too and they get wrapped under the christmas tree with a to sea of love from santa on them one thing that is a must though is a good set of Dvd's because I don't do much on christmas day except watch them and eat.
The funniest bit is that I have been put in the christmas section of my work a couple of times and I just decide on what christmas things I am going to get every day.
As much as I propell holiday consumerism, I want to do a bit of charity work over the Christmas period. Feeding the homeless and such...... we have to all remember the people that aren't as fortunate
I already have put a little santa figurine out to remind everyone that christmas is-a-comin'

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, christmas