How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2004
windowshopping

Under the "compulsive shopping" thread, TiffanyBlue Posted: "you guys do the *leave the price tag* on thing too?" which made me curious as to how many people on this board wear clothes, or anything else, and leave the price tag on knowing that you'll return it . and why?

18-03-2004
front row

I dont like to do that.. I dunno.. I feel wierd about it lol plus I would feel so paranoid taking it back... thinking I might get "caught" lol how embarassing lol

18-03-2004
windowshopping

I remember last year, some women were banned from "Filene's Basement" stores So embarrassing! And to be on the news and such. In the below article, a woman even shows off the things that she buys and later returns.

Quote:
Tuesday, July 22, 2003
Past the point of no return
By Kristi Palma
Staff Writer

You buy an item of clothing at a store, bring it home and for whatever reason decide you don't want it. So you bring it back, good as new.

No problem? Usually, but not always.

While many stores report return rates of 10 percent or more, there are extreme cases in which a shopper will return as much as 90 percent of what she buys.

Others don't just abuse the policies, they break them. Shoppers and retailers around the Valley tell stories of people buying a piece of clothing, wearing it and bringing it back, tags still attached.

"It happens all the time," said Jeanne Pratt, district manager of Casual Corner, which has a store in The Mall Rockingham Park in Salem, N.H. "They bring in an item with a wrinkle down the back and a deodorant stain in the armpit and swear they didn't wear it. The majority of our customers are honest. But there are people out there who do try to take advantage of your system."

The issue of shoppers abusing return policies is a touchy subject; most stores asked about abuse of return policies for this story refused to comment. Shoppers and retailers are buzzing after two Newton, Mass., women were banned from all 21 Filene's Basement stores last week because they returned too many items and made too many complaints about service.

Some retailers say that while banning a customer is rare, especially from all stores in a chain, sometimes it's warranted. Pratt said she can envision instances in which a customer might be banned.

"I would think almost any retailer would tell you it needs to be excessive (the circumstance leading up to a ban)," said Pratt. "But they would never say, 'I'd never do it.' It could happen."

Why do customers return an item? Local retailers tick off a laundry list of reasons: it doesn't fit, it's discolored, she changed her mind, a spouse disapproved, the seam split, the item shrank in the wash.

Return policies in most stores mandate intact tags and sales receipts for refunds and offer store credit for items without receipts. For some, there might be a time limit for returns. For example, at Macy's, bridesmaid dresses must be returned -- with all tags attached -- within 30 days. However, at Casual Corner, customers can return an item bought two years ago, though its value will be judged according to today's prices.

Are customers returning too much and trying to return things they shouldn't? You'd better believe it, said Pratt. Fifteen percent of her sales result in returns, she said.

Carol Sweeney, 58, of Lawrence said she has an acquaintance who actually brags about it.

"She goes to fancy places, buys these beautiful dresses and then returns them with the tags on," said Sweeney during a recent shopping trip at The Loop in Methuen. "Then she brags about it like it's something great. I just think it's a sin."

Pratt said her store will not accept items that were obviously worn, even with a receipt and tags.

Don Hathaway, manager of JCPenney in The Mall Rockingham Park, said problems with returns occurs "very seldom" in his store.

What would Hathaway do if a customer tried to return a worn item with tags?

"That's an individual decision," said Hathaway. "It's hard to say until it actually happens. I've never come across that. You would have to be someone really out of the ordinary, I think."

JCPenney has no limit to the number of items customers can return, said Hathaway. As long as customers have a receipt, he said there's not usually a problem. In his 30 years in the business, he's never seen a customer banned, he said.

Pratt has never banned anyone from her stores, but said she would.

"It would need to be excessive for us to take a stance like that ... there comes a point where you have to protect your associates. If a customer is abusing your associates, how long do you tolerate it?"

More stores are starting to track customer spending and return rates. Casual Corner writes a letter to customers who have a return rate of 80 to 90 percent. The friendly letter asks if there is a problem with the store's products. It is intended to let the customer know the store is keeping track and usually results in customers laying off the returns, said Pratt.

When questioned, many Valley shoppers said they knew of someone who has either returned items excessively or tried to return items already worn.

"I knew people in high school that would buy dresses and keep the tags on and return them," said Amy Sturtevan, 29, of Lowell while shopping at The Loop.

"That's gross!" said her friend Marilyn Dow, 30, of Peabody.

Erica Somalis, 16, of Londonderry, N.H., said she thinks a ban is too harsh. Like many people she knows, she has returned items to stores many times.

"A lot of times I get home and change my mind," said Erica while on a shopping trip to Riversedge Plaza in Haverhill. "They shouldn't be banned from the store. They should be able to return things, even if it's a lot of things."

Her mother, Frances Samalis, also of Londonderry, N.H., agreed, but said she draws the line at people who return things worn.

"It's not fair to the store and it's not fair to you or I who go to buy it afterward," she said.

Said Loop shopper Vanessa Follis, 49, of Lawrence, "It should be your right to return something."

18-03-2004
offline.

Doing this is just plain tacky. I'd never stoop that low.

18-03-2004
V.I.P.

nope!
however, i usually just buy what i like without trying on. once i do and dont like it, i'll just return it...
i would never wear anything with the intention of returning it

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
18-03-2004
Melody Nelson

No I NEVER do anything like that!, most of my clothes come from paris and new york and I usualy just do phone orders with them and if it doesn't fit I just send it back

backstage pass

No. Even I'm not THAT cheap. Too me, that's just a sign that you're purchasing way outside your means.

18-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

did you know....

every time there is a shoot in a magazine with a celeb or 'real' person who is not a sample size (4)...and most of them are not...that's the only way to get clothes that will fit ...the person being photographed will wear the garment for the picture and then an assistant stylist/editor or an intern is given the happy job of returning everything...tags may be removed during the shoot and are simply re-attached...

this is common practice for all advertising photoshoots and tv shows as well...

18-03-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 18th, 2004 - 4:31 pm
did you know....

every time there is a shoot in a magazine with a celeb or 'real' person who is not a sample size (4)...and most of them are not...that's the only way to get clothes that will fit ...the person being photographed will wear the garment for the picture and then an assistant stylist/editor or an intern is given the happy job of returning everything...tags may be removed during the shoot and are simply re-attached...

some even have those "guns" to make it easier to put the tag back, it's crazy.

I've never done it because to me clothes are a take-it-or-leave-it thing. If I buy something I like, it's impossible for me to return it -even if they price is higher than my budget. But I always buy clothes without trying them on first, so when I come back home, if I don't like them, I'll reutrn then.

I know a girl that used to do the tag thing all the time. I think when you buy from inexpensive stores such as the Gap ot the limited where everything is made in bulk, it's easier.

18-03-2004
V.I.P.

I would never do that, it just seems a little mean...

18-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 18th, 2004 - 10:31 pm
did you know....

i used to be in charge of sending out the looks for DKNY. we neevr sent out anything but the actual inhouse samples
even Jen Aniston and David Schwimmer fit into sample sizes..

the idea of buying something thats been worn to an event makes me

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
18-03-2004
V.I.P.

I've always wondered about that actually. It would cost magazines an awful lot if they had to buy every piece the models wear...

18-03-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I'm more in love with everything I've ever bought than I have been with another human being How could I return my little preciousesss....

fashion elite

I find it (no offense to anyone) a little tacky to do that. If you really can't afford something don't buy it. How would you feal if you knew something you bought had be worn by someone else? I especailly hate it when people wear things to events, like buy $6,000 dresses, wear them, and then return them. Tres tacky.

seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by MJCouture@Mar 18th, 2004 - 11:27 pm
I especailly hate it when people wear things to events, like buy $6,000 dresses, wear them, and then return them. Tres tacky.
Yeah, I wouldn't risk being done for fraud

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accessories, clothes