Comme Des Garçons - Page 10 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
17-09-2014
front row

One of the things I've always admired about Rei....is her insistence on having no desire to please an audience. She designs what she likes and what appeals to her...without a thought or care of anyone's approval or disapproval.

Rei is too wise...not to realize what things sell on the market very well....and which things, don't. She truly doesn't care if the collection she presents...is going to be marketable or not. She refuses to "play it safe" that far too many other designers do.

When she presented that collection a short time ago during summer...for women...where practically every piece in the collection was almost un-wearable....she went ahead and presented it, anyway. I'm sure she realized that the collection was going to be a financial success....but again...she simply didn't care. It was very much like her saying to other designers....."nothing from my collection is marketable...nothing from my collection is safe or easy to wear...nothing from this collection will appease a huge audience...and very few women would actually want to wear any of these pieces....but I went ahead and did it anyway."

Rei has a rebellious spirit...and she's relentless.

18-09-2014
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by margielamike2004 View Post
SOFTGREY....in regards to the skirt that you own.....from the witches collection....have you ever considered wearing the skirt.....over a pair of pants??
thanks for the idea...
i don't know that over pants is less dramatic though...

anyway- the skirt is so long, that isn't a real option...
well- long in the front and shorter at the back...
with the option to wrap it around and bustle it at the back...

i've seen rei wear long ornamented skirts with just little sneakers and a blazer...
i think the key is that the skirt can be the only weird item in the outfit...
the rest has to be toned down...more casual...
only could find tiny pics...
style.com

mike- your jacket sounds like a great item...and, yes, completely timeless...
you are lucky to have something from the 80's...

*collection pics from style.com
*rei from pinterest/corey mah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00260f.jpg (21.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 00320f.jpg (22.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 32225f35d92ddcfcf1d184339effcdd1.jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 18-09-2014 at 12:28 AM.
19-09-2014
flaunt the imperfection

and---i just saw that the cdg PLAY line is available at jcrew...!!!

i confess...
i really really really really love that silly heart logo...

19-09-2014
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
That's one of the things I've always loved about CDG....and that it was never focused on being a commercial label. Although Rei posted advertisements in fashion magazines, and such...and it wasn't very often that the clothes were represented. Most of the adverts consisted of presenting lesser known artists, photographers, actors/actresses, etc....kinda like giving other creative people more exposure...and less concern for the labels own gain or profit margins. She was also very much against using logos or corporate branding to garnish familiarity. From my perspective....Comme was never a brand that needed to reply upon cheap marketing ploys to get attention or to make more money...the things she made and the collections she presented....spoke for themselves. Unfortunately, people are less likely to spend 1000 dollars on a piece....that other people are not familiar with...they're more likely to spend their money on a piece that flaunts a labels status...which in turn makes other realize that what they're wearing is very like to be assumed as expensive.

It's one of the reasons why I absolutely can not stand anything from the Play collection. To me...the pieces are way too commercial....the pieces are way too basic....and the pieces are way too over-priced. I'm not going to spend 400 dollars on a navy-blue cardigan...simply because it has a quirky heart patch with eyeballs sewn onto it....when I can actually find a navy-blue cardigan at a vintage store for under 10 dollars. Spending money on anything from the play collection....simply doesn't seem sensible or practical to me....but to each, their own.
yes it used to be like that. it was alright if she was just letting her things speak for themselves and if you receiver received them. but those fortunate days are not anymore. now, dealing only with natural receivers like you is not enough, especially when she wants to continue what she does. she has to do what she doesn't at the same time. without stuff like explanation/advertisement/branding, it is difficult to survive. it's necessary to have people know CdG, to begin with.

the japanese market or more specifically tokyo market used to be fertile and generous enough to make such companies as YY inc alive, no matter how drunk the qualities of a company manager might be, only if a designer is genuinely gifted. but it's severe these days.

and also she has still been trying to win, against male society, status quo, certain sense of values, luxury conglomerates, mainstream, fast fashion...( although half of her brain thinks that she might already have lost, what she said in the asahi interview ). so she opened DSM in ginza, closing 10corsocomo CdG in aoyama, because she has to do fashion as a souvenir, that is, she needs to deal with customers other than natural receivers. and for those who believe in "the name of the rose", she has to do the rose as the name. so you've got PLAY CdG there even if you don't need it at all. she is the person who does beatles CdG while she knows well she will be scolded by certain kind of people.
in the japanese fashion industry, maybe it's only two that are really in the ring. her and tadashi yanai. it seems that the rest is just busy in managing themselves.
anyway she is trying to win against whatever. that's the point since that's what makes her rei kawakubo of CdG.

Let the stars decide
19-09-2014
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
Although I have always loved Comme from its earliest beginnings...i might be a huge supporter of Rei's...but there are also times when some of her collections don't appeal to me. I'm not the type of person who admires one particular designer...and claims that EVERYTHING they do, is amazing. It's merely a matter of personal taste...like or dislike.
just to make it clear, those supporters I mentioned the other day are not yes-sayers nor blind. they are quite intimate with their own sales assistant, and talk about the collections frankly. but they are just conscious that CdG is allowed to keep going on by being bought at the retail venue, as long as it is an apparel company.

Let the stars decide

19-09-2014
Vol de Nuit

softgrey, how about some simple black hoodie ? maybe not zip-up one, but just pullover type.
uniqlo will be having another designer collabo line which is likely to have that kind of hoodie.
or a little black cashmere one ?
and your canvas mice ?

Let the stars decide
19-09-2014
flaunt the imperfection

^^so funny that you would mention those shoes~!
i have also been wanting to wear those lately and have been thinking about them...
i don't know why i didn't think to put them together...
such a good idea!

arigato gozaimasu!

hmm...yes- some sort of style like that on top could be good...
i'd love to have a black cashmere hooded sweater...
funny- i haven't got a single thing like that in black...
i guess i usually buy sweatshirts/sweaters in grey these days...
i also think it would be good with leggings...

i just saw this hat...it's comme comme...
i'm so in love...it looks like a little funny wig/cloche...

penelopeshop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10811924_3964326_1000.jpg (52.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 19-09-2014 at 03:42 PM.
23-09-2014
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
softgrey, how about some simple black hoodie ? maybe not zip-up one, but just pullover type.
uniqlo will be having another designer collabo line which is likely to have that kind of hoodie.
and your canvas mice ?
well-
i just wanted to let you know that the shoes are super perfect...
you were right...
arigato gozaimashita...

i don't have a good hoodie, but i did try it with something similar just to get the look and - again- you are right...
it's just great like that...
i'll have to look for something along those lines...

in the meantime, of all the things that i have in my closet, the best thing is a dries top that knots at the shoulder...
it has a banded bottom like a sweatshirt, so it gives that silhouette and the knot is actually very "comme", so it works well, imho...

thanks for the inspiration and collaboration my dear...!!!

Last edited by softgrey; 23-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.
01-10-2014
flaunt the imperfection

aha!
i found a Y-3 sweatshirt top that might be the perfect thing for that cdg skirt...

yattah!

30-10-2014
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Sale Alert! Comme des Garçons, Paris

Comme des Garçons' massive semi-yearly sale, which it calls Market Market Town, is the stuff of legend. John Waters — who, according to lore, wears nothing but Comme — is routinely seen at them, quickly scuttling between the racks to avoid stalkers like us. Aside from cult celebs, there is no better place to score Comme and its ever-expanding universe of lines — men's or women's, recent or current.
Like the Olympics, the host city is always hotly anticipated. And so, announced today, the next Market Market Town will be held in...Paris! That's right, as if Parisians didn't have enough of the world's best design at their fingertips, they're about to have all the Comme they could possibly cram into their closets for roughly 70% off.
The merch is never-ending, replenished periodically throughout each day. You could spend half a day there, as we typically do, and still discover new racks, new bins, new rooms full of stuff. In other words, you'd be a fool not to go. Don't forget to print out the pic above and show it at the door.
L'Entrepôts Eiffel, 107 rue du Chemin Vert, Paris, 75011
Fri, Nov 7, 11 am - 7 pm
Sat, Nov 8, 11 am - 7 pm
Sun, Nov 9, 11 am - 5 pm

hintmag.com

thank GAWD!...
my purse strings couldn't handle another cdg market just now...

30-10-2014
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
and your canvas mice ?

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...
you meant the YY ones, not the MJ ones, didn't you?!
ugh~!...

of course- yes~!
those things just go with everything, don't they...?!
honestly- i am more and more amazed by them every day...
(plus- the polka dot insoles i put in them makes them even more kawaii...heehee...and comfy too!)

yes- good idea...
arigato, mon amour!

Last edited by softgrey; 30-10-2014 at 04:40 AM.
31-10-2014
Vol de Nuit

yes I was referring to the YY mice.
anyway I'm glad that seems to have led to your finding the perfect pair lol, and that your skirt seems to have got its great tops now.

Let the stars decide
31-10-2014
flaunt the imperfection

i'm not sure i really have found the right top...
i'm still working on it...
and i think that the YY mice are a MUCH better option than the MJ ones...
i just didn't think of it because i was being obsessed about wearing the MJ ones...

thanks again for the good idea!

01-11-2014
Vol de Nuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i'm not sure i really have found the right top...
i'm still working on it...
nani!?
here are some just for reference

suzuki takayuki one from F/W 2013
the reracs one from this fall
hyke ( restarting of the label that used to be "green" that had been taking maternity leave) from S/S 2015
the hyke one might be a bit too much of mode, but I think it will come in dark navy as well as black.

minamonakameguro
fashionpress
zozo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06115.JPG (84.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06116.JPG (66.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 5338245_B_01_500.jpg (28.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 5338245_B_02_500.jpg (31.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 5338245_B_03_500.jpg (30.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg hyke_2015ss_02.jpg (55.7 KB, 1 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 01-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
01-11-2014
Vol de Nuit

can this be another inspiration?

I'd wear a shirt in any dark color.

carpe diem

courtesy t
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00018.JPG (44.7 KB, 1 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 01-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
comme, des, garçons