How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2005
backstage pass

Do you take yourself shopping to reward yourself or cheer yourself up?
I wanted to break the habit of using food to cheer myself up, so lately if I need cheering up I go shopping, for one of two things: Either a cute but not too expensive piece of clothing (if it costs too much, then I'll feel guilty, so that won't cheer me up), or some nice bath products. Bubbles, bath salts, all that girly relaxing stuff. And of course I enjoy my purchases!!

Sometimes, just taking the time for myself, to go window shopping for a few hours (but not finding anything worth buying) cheers me up

Anyone else do this?

19-11-2005
V.I.P.

I used to go shopping to cheer myself up a few years ago.. I am starting to HATE shopping now.. I only go when I need stuff, and I plan before going because I don't like staying too long checking out stores....

19-11-2005
Cinematic Vision

I do this too much, often in relation to a bad day at Uni.

19-11-2005
V.I.P.

absolutely! and also when i'm bored, when i get my paycheck, and when my friends want to go and...

19-11-2005
V.I.P.

Oh yes! Shopping is like a therapy

19-11-2005
backstage pass

^^guilty of all the above ^^
bored, bad day at uni, paycheck, when friends want to go, reward, to cheer my self up, when I can't concentrate on the stuff I'm supposed to do.... to often, yeah.

19-11-2005
V.I.P.

absolutely.

20-11-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
I used to go shopping to cheer myself up a few years ago.. I am starting to HATE shopping now.. I only go when I need stuff, and I plan before going because I don't like staying too long checking out stores....
thesame.... but I can decide that I want (like yesterday) a pinstriped miniskirt, and then I can go looking for it and take the time as I need. I think shopping is the boring part of fashion (if we can say its a part of fashion?) it so hectic and stuff like that. And now every single store has to play lousy music so damn loud!

front row

sort of..... sometimes i feel that shopping is stressful but it is also about 'discovering' something gorgeous!

its like a treasure hunt, because if you dont go searching, somebody else will get the treasure and you will have to wear an old sack.

20-11-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect10
And now every single store has to play lousy music so damn loud!
sooo true. yesterday i wanted to try on some pants but couldnt stand the music..So I had to leave two stores cause of that. I felt like a grumpy old lady
but with so many people, the combination of cold outside and so hot inside (multiplied cause of all the clothes you're wearing to be able to be outside) and then really loud and noisy rap on top of it....headache!!

20-11-2005
V.I.P.

No - when I don't feel great I don't feel like going anywhere..

backstage pass

Yup I do hate the store music. If they start blasting "my hump" or something else I find especially tasteless (anything with the lyric "where mah hoes at?") I will just walk out, go somewhere else (I like to think it will help get the point across).

I find that this is more of a problem with the lower-quality, super trendy, "clubbing" clothes stores though...

21-11-2005
V.I.P.

Hell yeah

21-11-2005
V.I.P.

i just avoid shopping on the weekends. i shop when everyone else is at work or school.

21-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Yasmin, I have done the shopping as pick-me-up thing in the past, and I have to tell you, it's really not that great a habit to form. I'm all for the buying and using bath products when you've had a bad day, but to tell you the truth, I think food is a better idea than shopping as long as you approach comfort food in a healthy way. I.e., instead of Ben & Jerry's, make your grandma's soup or casserole. Food is meant to be comforting, and while bingeing is a really bad idea, getting comfort from food is not. However, even Ben & Jerry's can't affect your credit rating--retail therapy can.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cheer, reward, shopping