Erdem for H&M - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-07-2017
fashion elite

Erdem for H&M
Quote:
Erdem Is H&M's 2017 Designer Collaborator - And Baz Luhrmann Is Directing the Campaign

Next up at H&M? It's Erdem. A two-hour drive from London deep into the Hampshire countryside, along a winding lane, past a tucked away gate house, through swathes of secluded park land, and up a hill, lies a dilapidated Palladian house where mysterious fashion activity has been taking place this week. On one side of the house, a man was patiently spray painting a lawn a little greener. Beyond it lay a vista of tents. One was packed with clothes, and inside it was Erdem Moralioglu and the team from H&M.

Quite a surprise, this, because anyone who knows London's most successfully romantic, cinematically-minded independent designer, also knows how charmingly adept he is at turning down almost every business approach that's come his way in his label's 12 years of existence. So why H&M? "He gets to try out a few things he hasn't done before," says Ann-Sofie Johansson, the company's creative advisor. "Like, it's my first menswear," Erdem laughs. "And the menswear informs the women and vice-versa; I'm thinking of my sister wearing a tweed jacket over a tea dress and trainers. And what our parents were wearing when they met in the '60s."

The actual contents of the collection are closely guarded until their November 2nd launch in 22 countries. Suffice it to say, there are plenty of the flowers and pretty blouses that are Erdem's signature. "He's a perfectionist, and challenging at the same time," says Ann-Sofie. "He knows exactly what he wants: The lace should look like this!"

"Seriously, though, I've seen it as something which is the opposite of what you'd associate with fast fashion," Erdem says. "I want it to be pieces you'll be wearing in 10 years time, as women do with my own clothes."

But the other part of the attraction for a designer who always thinks of clothes as a kind of character study and formed an early attachment to Merchant Ivory films? Having Baz Luhrmann to work with, surely. It was his presence that explained a hillside carpark jam-packed full of trucks and catering vans and the vast delivery of delphiniums and fake flowers that had arrived to be transported through the front door, strewn up staircases, and festooned from balconies. A mini-movie is in progress for the Erdem x H&M launch, with a cast and a script Luhrmann has written. More than this we may not know until the big day. Regarding the short clip you see here, Luhrmann exclaimed, "It's a teaser!"
vogue.com

Last edited by dodencebt; 13-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
13-07-2017
fashion elite

So they couldn't get Dries, so they settled for Erdem. Makes sense.

13-07-2017
V.I.P.

Well I'm quite intrigued by this personally. I look forward to the menswear. There's going to be some killer dresses in this I'm sure. And I'm always there for a Baz commercial.

13-07-2017
V.I.P.

Yay there's menswear! Can't wait!

This is will be one of the best selling collabs for sure.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
13-07-2017
V.I.P.

I'm not sure it will. It may be one of the nicest perhaps, but Erdem's pieces probably won't be a win in all territories and florals are generally quite polarising. It looks to be a very 'him' collection. It'll do very well some places, that's for sure.

13-07-2017
fashion insider

I'm very excited for this. I love Erdem and looking forward to see him do menswear as well, am hoping for some great pieces.

13-07-2017
rising star

I am so excited, better start saving up now, as these pieces would still be quite expensive...

13-07-2017
V.I.P.

Designer collaborations don't interest me at all. What does interest me is the men's collection, would be cool for him to start doing menswear.

13-07-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
So they couldn't get Dries, so they settled for Erdem. Makes sense.
LOL I'd love a Dries collab, but in a relatively recent interview he adamantly stated that he'd never do an H&M type of deal.

As for the Erdem thing - I don't think the world needs any more floral print tent dresses but good for him. Make those coins!

14-07-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
What does interest me is the men's collection, would be cool for him to start doing menswear.
I think that's the most exciting prospect from this collaboration. If his menswear attempt is well accepted and sells, he can take this testing ground as reason to start a menswear line for his own brand.

V.I.P.

I'm anxious to see the menswear, although the pieces in the video doesn't look very promising. A suit, a coat, and a pj-style ensemble? I was never a big fan of his womenswear, but I'm keen to see what he'll do for this line. It'll be mostly crowdpleasers, I'm sure.

14-07-2017
V.I.P.

There's a full menswear outfit on the H&M Instagram, like a pyjama suit. It's very cool. Not exactly easy to wear, but it's cool all the same.

14-07-2017
Hell on Heels

the first collaboration i'm interested in years. i really love erdem dresses' but never really felt like spending big amounts of money on dresses that i'd get little use of - but at hm prices, i'm in!

14-07-2017
V.I.P.

I hope this won't be too hyped. With Kenzo I waltzed into the store at a leisurely pace, tried some stuff on, uhm-ed and aah-ed, and it was over. None of that camping out at 3 in the morning stuff, and pushing your way through the masses. But then I could tell that it wasn't selling all that well.

14-07-2017
fashion insider

I'm excited! I doubt this collection will gather any fan hysteria, which is great for me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
erdem, handm