How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2009
fashion insider

I should be studing but I couldn't pass this woman trousers...they're Gareth right???

jakandjil

brownsfashion.com

28-01-2009
vertebrae by vertebrae

yes indeed those are Pugh

28-01-2009
fashion insider

thanks I wasn't sure because of this elastic thingy of the browns pic, because the woman trousers don't have it

29-01-2009
Soviet Camaro

What if... ?
Rumors are floating that GP will be tapped to replace Kris Van Assche at Dior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue.co.uk
In Support Of Pugh

28 January 2009, 06:27PM
FOLLOWING weeks of rumours from the fashion front line, Bernard Arnault, chairman of LVMH, has confirmed that the luxury goods conglomerate he controls is financing Gareth Pugh's shows.
The rumour-mill went in to overdrive this week when Delphine Arnault, Bernard's daughter, attended Pugh's Paris menswear show, declaring it "amazing." The confirmation of support by Arnault however, may not put paid to the whispers just yet.
For some time fashion insiders have been suggesting Pugh may be appointed to take the helm of an LVMH label. The house of Dior in particular has been proposed as a new home for the Sunderland-born designer who finds himself repeatedly named as a possible replacement for Kris Van Assche at Dior Homme. Arnault said: "He's an interesting designer, and it's good to support him...But LVMH does that with many talented people, even musicians."
For now he remains an independent, but firmly under LVMH's esteemed wing.

Is this good or bad for Gareth Pugh? Good or bad for Dior (well, most of us would probably agree it would be good for Dior. )

My first thought was that I don't want to see him absorbed into a conglomerate - particularly LVMH. But it has been pointed out that in some ways, it might be a good exercise for him...

What do you all think?

vertebrae by vertebrae

I really hope that's untrue. I think it would be detrimental for Gareth and hinder his creativity and the persistent unique vision he's shown. I would hate to see him have to work in a completely different style than what he's known for. I don't know, it just seems so weird to me

TARALIS for DH! hehehe

30-01-2009
fashion insider

I wanted to ask that but I didn't knew where.......I really don't know what to think..............I'll hate if LVMH take control of his name or something like that, I think thay will be terrible for his creativity as Inaya said......

But reading again the article it said that they're financing his shows...does that means that they're just beeing cool and giving him money for his shows.....obviously they want to make sure to be with him to eventually make him part of LVMH......so many questions..........but there's a phrase of relief....."For now he remains an independent, but firmly under LVMH's esteemed wing"..............

...and I'm still don't own any of his pieces........I'll have to hurry before I only found toned down Gareth....

Last edited by cesarcmma; 30-01-2009 at 03:09 PM.
30-01-2009
backstage pass

This seems like a constant reacurring theme with LVMH. They invest in the current enfant terrible, appoint them to a failing house and hope for the best. Just look at the history; John Galliano to Givenchy then Dior, Marc Jacobs to Louis Vuitton and the failed attempt of Alexander Mcqueen at Givenchy.

30-01-2009
Stitch:the Hand

i hate the idea too. i want to see gareth continue to grow and evolve before even thinking of trotting off on some corporate house tangent. i hope he never does to be honest.

and frankly....i said before and i'll repeat it till the day i die(because it doesn't seem to stopping)....corporations are wanting all of our indies,our indies with extraordinary vision,and take complete control of this industry. first it was helmut and jil followed by lee,then olivier,margiela and riccardo. they don't want independents or independent-minded consumers because it takes their money away from their empires. they are dead intent on having all the ideas under one or two roofs because they receive the praise in the end for 'supporting' their talents.

and if my signature isn't example of this fight designers face then you would be sadly mistaken.

31-01-2009
trendsetter

do you not already think gareths style, has been toned down ALOT over the past couple of seasons?

31-01-2009
rising star

Well yes, his previous collections were more show pieces than wearable ones. He's had to tone it done so that the clothes have more appeal to the masses which = money money money $$$$$$$$. Nevertheless, i know what you mean i think he's original London shows were amazing, especially Autumn Winter 08/09 not forgetting summer 2007.

31-01-2009

but they're still not easy-peasy either though. still quite esoteric,imo. i mean spring is not a collection i would deem commercial,by any means,nor easily accessible accept for those with the right personality or for showy purposes.

01-02-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Rumors are floating that GP will be tapped to replace Kris Van Assche at Dior...

Is this good or bad for Gareth Pugh? Good or bad for Dior (well, most of us would probably agree it would be good for Dior. )

My first thought was that I don't want to see him absorbed into a conglomerate - particularly LVMH. But it has been pointed out that in some ways, it might be a good exercise for him...

What do you all think?
It could be a good exercise for him, but I feel like it's too soon for him. I myself don't want him absorbed in a conglomerate such as LVMH. But if ever it pushes through, I just wish that he'd still stick to his design aesthetics and won't let anyone get in the way.

01-02-2009

^don't count on it. LVMH is a profit-monger afterall,they have to dictate.

01-02-2009
Soviet Camaro

I think Gareth has a strong enough vision that LVMH would not "break" him. I agree with Scott (and others) that it would be restricting to work within such a conglomerate. I think he might come up with some beautiful, subversive and subtle work under those conditions; but ultimately, I too would like to see him keep his independence for a while longer, at least.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post

What do you all think?

I think it is a good exercise for him.

He told me in November he really needs to find a way to make money, he is interested in commercial projects. I think he will always have his more avant garde outlets, but he is feeling the pressure to sell. Having LVMH back him will give him the free reign creativity he desires for his own label, and the resources and "big business" of Dior Homme will help him to control his creativity in a more commercial format.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gareth, pugh