How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2013
front row

And another article on how to differentiate good quality cashmere from others:
Source The sceptical shopper
Quote:
Yet even cheap cashmere can feel lovely. It’s hard to know, as you queue at the till, whether your bargain will pill or sag within days. (Pilling afflicts expensive cashmere too, though it should stop after the first wash.) But there are subtle signs of quality, and once you’ve got your eye in, much of the cheaper cashmere on the market starts to seem a false economy.

Look for tension in the knitting: stretch a section and it should ping back into shape. Hold it up to the light and you shouldn’t see much sky: paradoxically, the best cashmere, though made from the finest hair, has a density to it. Examine its surface: fluffiness suggests the yarn was spun from shorter, weaker fibres and will pill. Be sceptical about softness, too. Over-milling can make a garment too soft and silky, and therefore prone to bobbling and losing its shape. More expensive cashmere may be harder to handle in the shop, but will ease up with wear and hand-washing. The best cashmere actually improves with age–so long as the moths don’t get to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

22-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

^^Thanks Eva...
That is quite useful info and what I had discovered for myself after years of personal experience but it's good to be validated...

i was lucky enough to get to a Christopher Fischer sample sale the other day and picked up 10 new yummy scrumptious cashmeres...

there were definitely sweaters i put back because no matter how soft and yummy they felt at the moment, i could tell they would not hold up well and would pill like crazy...
conversely, i had to really push my friend into a really great sweater because she just kept whining that it wasn't soft enough but i know with certainty that it will wear beautifully and she will be thanking me later...

the best bit is that i got two really thick and cosy grey cashmere cardigans, which i have really missed in my wardrobe for years...
it's finally about time...

and i got this amazing cropped ivory waffle knit that is sort of a cape shape with shawl collar and a horn toggle at the neck...
should be great for next fall with my junya ruffled camo skirt...

now i just have to find room for them in my closet...

Last edited by softgrey; 22-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.
23-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
When stored, cashmere needs air, Mr. Cucinelli notes, "so it can 'breathe' because it is a natural fiber." The designer prefers to store pieces in a colorless cardboard box with cedar disks inside. A lightweight fabric bag also works, but a box gives material more room to breathe, and the cedar disks deter moths while adding a subtle scent.
hmmm...
i think that moths can get into boxes and they like the little corners to lay eggs...
*can't tell you how many i have found in my shoe boxes!!!

i think i am going to store my cashmere in pillow cases this season...

25-05-2013
botanizing on the asphalt

the cedar blocks are the best moth deterrents I have found, and they really do smell good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post

10 new yummy scrumptious cashmeres

Last edited by laika; 25-05-2013 at 07:47 PM.
03-07-2013
front row

I recently purchased a lot of cashmere jumper/sweater so I will be trying this storage technique ! Do you guys think the plain ikea box will be enough? I would have preferred box I can hung in my wardrobe like clothes cover but I don't even know if they exist or where to find them..
Anyone tried his cleaning method? Did it work for you?

28-10-2013
tfs star

Bought a Iris and Ink cashmere sweater from the outnet. 4 days later and it is ruined beyond repair. The threads are so tiny I can't fix the huge mysterious snag that has appeared on the chest. It was too thin and delicate.

If you are looking for Good Cashmere I suggest looking elsewhere...

28-10-2013
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Bought a Iris and Ink cashmere sweater from the outnet. 4 days later and it is ruined beyond repair. The threads are so tiny I can't fix the huge mysterious snag that has appeared on the chest. It was too thin and delicate.

If you are looking for Good Cashmere I suggest looking elsewhere...
Yikes! Definitely contact their customer service! THey should take it back if it's falling apart...
That's crazy.

28-10-2013
tfs star

^They have offered to take it back. Their service is really great.

I was so happy with the quality of their silk shirts, I just assumed their cashmere would be the same. When unwrapped it, I instantly noticed that it felt more like a thin merino wool. Very soft, but so sheer.

Maybe I just was really unlucky...

28-10-2013
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^They have offered to take it back. Their service is really great.

I was so happy with the quality of their silk shirts, I just assumed their cashmere would be the same. When unwrapped it, I instantly noticed that it felt more like a thin merino wool. Very soft, but so sheer.

Maybe I just was really unlucky...
yeah, that could be the case...

I would definitely just send it back and be done with it.

10-11-2013
front row

That makes me happier that my size sold out in the outnet sale.

28-11-2013
front row

mango.com

I bought this cashmere sweater from Mango and the quality is so fine and good!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cashmere, good