How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-11-2005
rising star

Hello Elsa
In your question, you mentioned the issue of quality and sweaters that pill and fuzz (that's the english expression for it). I have had sweaters by TSE and N.Peal, and some were terrific and others complete garbage.I would suggest the problem isn't a brand, but the ply of the cashmere itself.

A good cashmere sweater should be at least 4-ply, which makes a good, long lasting, soft cashmere sweater. The higher the ply, the softer, warmer, thicker (but never heavy like wool) the sweater. 8 ply and higher is wonderful; it is also extremely expensive, and usually used only by luxury brands. The higher the ply, the higher the quality, softness and durability, and, of course, price. I have seen cashmere go up to 12-ply- in a locked showcase at the store. I did not dare ask about the price.

Another consideration is country of origin. Cashmere used to only come from Mongolia; back then cashmere was extremely expensive-you could never find it at mid-range department stores or discount outlets. Eventually farmers figured out how to raise the goats in China (and also, if I am correct, parts of India); but the climate and diet is different, so the goats grow a different quality wool. (Think of fur- a Canadian beaver fur will be very different from a South American beaver fur- the climate makes the animal's fur/hair grow differently).

The laws on the labelling are unclear- if the label says "Made in China", it could be Mongolian cashmere that was only knitted in China, or it could be knitted in China from Chinese cashmere. As far as I know, no country requires the label to tell you where the fabric/yarn was made- only the content.

I believe Loro Piana, Filatura di Crosa, Cariaggi and Noro Cash are all excellent cashemere mills; they are all in Italy so if you are determined you could simply buy the cashmere from them (many people do, at warehouse sales, then re-sell them on EBay) and either knit, learn to knit, or pay someone to knit the sweater you want for you.

01-11-2005
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i know saks in nyc has a big tse dept...
Thank you, I will try the Saks here in Boston.

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

I think Jcrew's cashmere is 2ply...which doesn't sound good...no?Thanks for the info. Someday!

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

I would also love some nice cashmere sweaters, I have none...

What are good brands in the $400-$500 range?

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guessgirl96
I would also love some nice cashmere sweaters, I have none...

What are good brands in the $400-$500 range?
J.Screw

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

^jcrew cashmere are at $100+...
400-500 can afford TSE.

01-11-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
i love marc jacobs' cashmere, although it is obscenely priced.
Yes, I remember a 12-ply sweater at Jeffrey for like $1200 several years back during the cashmere boom (before Banana & JCrew & everyone else jumped on.... doesn't even the Gap have Cashmere now?!?). That's $100 per ply!

01-11-2005
front row

Ply isn't the only indicator for cashmere quality...you can't buy by the numbers alone.

The ply essentially refers to the weight of the thread being used. As a rule of thumb, 2-ply or anything higher should be sufficient to make a fine cashmere garment. You don't have to get 4-ply+, unless you specifically want a heavier-weight garment.

However, you also have to consider the quality of the weave. If you look at a 2-ply garment next to a 1-ply garment at the same price, chances are you'll find the 2-ply garment has a looser weave - the thread is more expensive, so they have to cut corners somewhere. That loose weave is what's going to lead to the garment losing its shape, pilling, and other quality-loss issues as the garment ages.

So when you're buying, make sure to look closely at the weave. It should be dense and smooth if it's good quality. You should be able to stretch it a little bit in front of a light and not see mostly air through it. Also, when you stretch it, it should snap back into its original shape - if it doesn't, then it's too loose for the garment to keep its structure over the long haul.

01-11-2005
Yes, please

Confirming what The Baron said, the fact that it's a heavier weight doesn't necessarily mean it's a better quality. But you could be fooled into thinking it because of the price!

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

Thank you so much for the tips!!!

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
^jcrew cashmere are at $100+...
400-500 can afford TSE.

Thanks what does TSE stand for, or is that the whole brand? Things I could find online would be great, since the only thing we have here is a crummy saks.

01-11-2005
fashion icon

I always prounounced TSE as "Tsay" rather than T-S-E...since it originated in Hong Kong I just assumed it was the surname of the founder, which is prounounced 'tsay'.

01-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

well..crummy saks sells lots of TSE...(pronounced tsay)...

check their website...

01-11-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks I'll check it out as soon as I get home. I didn't mean saks is crummy overall, just that the one by me is, it's ity bity with very little selection.

01-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i know...i'm just playing with ya...
the website has some stuff...
but probably not as much selection as the ny store...
but saks is doing a big cashmere promotion this fall, so they should have lots of interesting stuff that they usually don't...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cashmere, good