How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-11-2005
front row

Pilling is when the fuzzy part of the sweater balls up and forms little "pills" on the surface of the sweater. Allegedly it's associated with lower-quality cashmere.

I have to say, my best cashmere has been from Ann Taylor and Saks Fifth Avenue store brand. Not one pill, very soft, still looks good after years of wear. I even have a 25-year-old Saks brand sweater inherited from my mother that still is holding up very nicely.

29-11-2005
V.I.P.

Guessgirl96, Pilling is when you see little fuzzy balls on your sweater.

I am looking for a cashmere sweater, but I have no idea what to look for.

29-11-2005
slightly dizzy

From what I've seen, Drumohr seems to make excellent cashmere; I only have a knitted cap myself, though.

29-11-2005
front row

My J.Crew cashmere sweater has held up pretty well. Oddly enough, after I handwashed it, some of the pills seemed to settle down and disappear. Anyone know why that would be?

And I'll chime in with what others have been saying about Ann Taylor cashmere. I bought a couple sweaters secondhand in the thrift store, and they look good even though they're probably a few years old.

Last edited by crankypants; 29-11-2005 at 01:32 PM.
05-12-2005
rising star

I also like Ann Taylor, I bought several sweaters last year, have been wearing them non-stop and they are still like new. Also Lord and Taylor is OK and you can get it for less than $100 after Christmas. Charter Club (I buy it from Macy's) has good quality sweaters.

I really like new J. Crew cashmere, is it worth buying?

08-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
I always prounounced TSE as "Tsay" rather than T-S-E...since it originated in Hong Kong I just assumed it was the surname of the founder, which is prounounced 'tsay'.
I actually confirmed it today with one of my friends. Tse is the family name of the founder Tse is the cantonese pronunciation of a Chinese last name.

08-12-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

brora cashmere is good quality and well priced- i buy my everyday sweaters from them and they hold up well. loro piana is overpriced considering it's made in such quantity in china and l-p finet is just very overpriced scottish cashmere.

08-12-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guessgirl96
I would also love some nice cashmere sweaters, I have none...

What are good brands in the $400-$500 range?
I like Generra, Theory, and I got one from Christopher Fischer that was pretty nice. I also love the ones on amoandbretti.com

08-12-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
I also like Ann Taylor, I bought several sweaters last year, have been wearing them non-stop and they are still like new. Also Lord and Taylor is OK and you can get it for less than $100 after Christmas. Charter Club (I buy it from Macy's) has good quality sweaters.

I really like new J. Crew cashmere, is it worth buying?
A lot of is is half off right now at the stores. The 4 season cashmere v-ncks are $99, down from $198.

09-12-2005
rising star

yes, I know. I went today and tried the v-neck sweaters but they were totally see-through, I wasn't really impressed. I finally ended up buying Lord and Taylor cashmere.

09-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
yes, I know. I went today and tried the v-neck sweaters but they were totally see-through, I wasn't really impressed. I finally ended up buying Lord and Taylor cashmere.
i was confused...you meant the jcrew cashmere was seethrough?

09-12-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Perhaps they took off half the material with the price! :p

09-12-2005
rising star

yes, I tried the v-neck sweaters: light green, yellow and baby pink. All of them were see-through, you need a tank top or something underneath the sweater (or a shirt).

09-12-2005
V.I.P.

I went to the Marc Jacobs sale and got a double sided cashmere polo. Now I am so convinced that MJ makes the best cashmere. yes, feeling even better than Loro Piana.

23-01-2006
windowshopping

I have a Loro Piana cashmere bathrobe from their outlet in Italy. It's the softest, most amazing thing I've ever worn and my absolute favorite item of clothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cashmere, good