How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2009
scenester

I've heard the music/ stench is to repel parents. But I guess in a lot of cases it repels shoppers too :p

I went through the typical Abercrombie/Hollister phase around 7th grade, and I'm glad it didn't last too long. I always shopped at the little kid's abercrombie, so I never dealt with the ridiculous over-pricing. I don't particularly like the the clothes anymore, but I don't have a problem with them. What I do dislike is the people who are clad head-to-toe in A&F and Hollister and are convinced that they are God's gift to fashion and impossibly original. Well, anybody who has that attitude, no matter how they dress, is pretty annoying.

25-07-2009
backstage pass

I used to like their clothes more, but I got really bored with them, same thing, same styles, it always seems. Plus, their staff tends to be immature and annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mod View Post
I've heard the music/ stench is to repel parents. But I guess in a lot of cases it repels shoppers too :p
Yes, I'm 18, and have to say, both of those things repel me, especially the music. I'm partially deaf, so the loudness, isn't too awful, it's just not being able to talk to anyone else, unless you yell, and then it seems whenever I'm trying to communicate, in there, and therefore yelling loudly, the tracks always seem to change at that exact moment, and suddenly, there's like 5 second silence, and for the first second or two, I'm still yelling like a idiot, and it's dead silent, so the whole store and anyone walking by can probably hear me loud and clear now.

oh! darling

Quote:
What I do dislike is the people who are clad head-to-toe in A&F and Hollister and are convinced that they are God's gift to fashion and impossibly original.
True. Just because you are wearing T-shirts with nothing more than palm trees on it doesn't make you The Sh!t.

windowshopping

If i had to choose, i'd prefer A&F over Hollister because with the latter, i get an image that yells "pre-teen/high school." With A&F, some of their pieces actually look kind of cute but not too high school. I also find A&F stores more tolerable because Hollister stores are waaaay too 1) loud 2) dark 3) cluttered. At least I can easily walk around A&F stores without bumping into a lounge chair, or a wooden table...and they have pretty catchy music sometimes as well.

Actually, out of all the A&F brands, I prefer Ruehl.

26-07-2009
V.I.P.

i actually downloaded some tracks off iTunes based on their monthly playlists

even tho it's very dance/techno heavy... some of their house remixes are good tho.

26-07-2009
fashion elite

^^ Too bad they let Ruehl go, they had the best clothes of the bunch. And the stores were so pretty!

I know Hollister and A&F don't have the best rep around here, but they make a mean pair of jeans. They're tight in all the right places and all the ripped jeans I have from them are pretty amazing, IMO. And I don't think I've owned softer sweatpants and fleece jackets in my life.

26-07-2009
V.I.P.

IA on the jeans

26-07-2009
front row

Yesterday I went to Hollister and bought a pair of jean shorts on sale.. The weird thing I noticed was that they were in odd number sizes (1, 3, 5, 7, 9)... does this mean I bought shorts for junior girls? The store wasn't split off into different sections for girls/women and I didn't know they made junior sizes to begin with (although the sizing of their clothes in general is probably meant for pre-teens ). I've never bought a pair of pants/jeans from Hollister or A&F so I was a bit thrown off. Some of the shorts also had a waist size (ex. 26) written beside the single digit size on the label..Nonetheless, they still fit well, which was kind of a surprise heh.

26-07-2009
scenester

^Yes, I think they do all their sizing in juniors.

26-07-2009
V.I.P.

Hollister is the "teen brand". therefore, no adult sizes.

26-07-2009
scenester

I haven't been to Hollister in years, but whenever I got to Abercrombie Kids or sometimes A&F, their music is always on low and the employees are extremely helpful unlike other stories I've heard.

27-07-2009
fashion insider

Well I like it A&F, it's almost politically incorrect to say it, but I like the store. I think men look fresh wearing their clothes and they make amazing pairs of jeans and shorts for women . It's not exactly a shop i would go to buy a look, i'm not a teenager and it's too preppy for my taste, but for specific things it's a great store.

27-07-2009
V.I.P.

^ I agree. Men do look fresh wearing Abercrombie. My best friend, who's a girl, is one who dresses head to toe in A&F and though I think that's unnecessary, it's a great store for basics. A little overpriced (granted, you can find the same cami for like $5 somewhere else), but they do have decent wear if you know how to mix them up with other things. The only thing I don't like is the cotton is really thin on the tank tops and tend to get tiny little holes in it which is pretty annoying since they're not too cheap.

And Has anyone been to the Hollister in NYC yet? It just opened but I haven't gone. It's supposedly really huge. I don't think I've ever gotten anything from a Hollister and though I'm aware the look is similar to A&F, is the quality of material the same too? Is it better, or worse?

27-07-2009
windowshopping

I think that A&F is good for basics as well as when you need something decent looking but don't have time to come up with an outfit. The prices aren't that great, but when they have clearances its completely affordable. Plus, they seem to always be a season ahead so its easy to stock up.

27-07-2009
front row

both are totally evil

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abercombie, fitch, hollister