How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2009
windowshopping

Hollister and Abercombie & Fitch
They are probably a bit controversial here, since some people think that they aren't very fashion-forward and in no way "trendy" like Forever 21. But what do you guys think about shopping there? (I've also heard that Hollister has opened up stores in London also.)

For me, I generally do not shop there, but I must admit they most of the time have good quality stuff. I have recently purchased a pair of Laguna Skinny jeans (dark wash) at Hollister for US$39.99 and have loved it so far. I have trouble finding jeans that fit and their jeans seem to fit me well.

Price-wise though, they are a bit overpriced, especially A&F, a pair of jeans can be up to US$100, which is ridiculous. Hollister is slightly cheaper but I still do not shop there, unless there's a clearance sale.

Concerning sizing, they seem to be discriminating against normally-sized girls, the sizes run relatively small compared to most American stores (like AE or Forever 21). The Hollister that I went to put Size 6-11 jeans up in the shelves, where it is impossible to reach without a ladder, simply inconvenient! The average American women is larger than a small size 11 and they give people of a slightly "larger" size inconvenience! How come a size 0 girl can grab jeans easily, when we (I'm size 9 at hollister for jeans) have to ask for assistance EVERY TIME?

Style-wise, I guess they are considered as "California Causal" or "Surfer Chic"? Though I see henleys, polos, tanks, torn flare jeans and sweatpant EVERY FREAKING SEASON.

What do you think of them?

20-07-2009
scenester

I don't like them both that much, but sometimes I do gravitate to Abercrombie Kids because I'm small anyways, and the prices are cheaper. I prefer it over Hollister because the logo usually matches the colour of the shirt whereas Hollister bird is always burgundy and to me it sticks out too much, lol.

I only buy basics from the stores too, and if you catch AKids on sale the prices can be really reasonable. I've bought nice v-necks from them (where the logo isn't blatantly obvious) for $10 each, and I love the sheer cotton they use instead of heavier fabric a lot of other places use.

Personally, brand names don't stop me from buying things, as long as the price is reasonable and the quality is good.

20-07-2009
oh! darling

Quote:
Concerning sizing, they seem to be discriminating against normally-sized girls, the sizes run relatively small compared to most American stores (like AE or Forever 21).
True. It is such crap.

Quote:
Style-wise, I guess they are considered as "California Causal" or "Surfer Chic"?
I find these stores to be ridiculous because since when was California the utopia Why should all states try to look like Californians? It annoys the Hell out of me. We should take pride in our own states.

The music is always too loud.
The clothing all smells the same.

Hate it.

oh! darling

Typical.

Quote:
When the Shophound visited the new "epic" Soho Hollister on opening day, they noticed a number of reasonably pretty shoppers all wearing the same madras shirts flitting about and standing on the sidewalk outside. It appeared that Hollister had hired people to shop. Turns out Hollister didn't technically hire people to shop — they just flew in employees of other Hollister stores to "support" the opening. Well. Then it's a completely different story!
theshophound

front row

That Hollister store in Soho looks lovely inside with all the staircases and flooring ... too bad the brand is awful.

But I've heard they actually hired 'models' to present the brands clothing and you apparently get payed for it? That's sounds like the case here, though I see no point in it whatsoever And I haven't heard the greatest thing for there quality, I suppose it rips easily.

22-07-2009
trendsetter

only thing I've ever bought form A&F are sweat pants and plain t shirts.

V.I.P.

idc, i like their stuff and especially their fit.

and you got no idea what "overpriced" means before you've seen A&F being sold in a boutique next to Hugo Boss, D&G, Diesel and McQ by Alexander McQueen. those a$$holes jacked up the price for a polo shirt to 99 Euros. a tee costs 69 Euros.

go figure.

23-07-2009
front row

Hollister isn't as bad when it comes to overpricing compared to Abercrombie. Freaking RIDICULOUS. I can't remember if/when I ever bought something full price at A&F. I think Hollister has better sales (50% off) and selection in sizes (At A&F you'd be hard pressed to find a sale item you like in a size other than XS and XL). Their hoodies are surprisingly soft, I'm quite pleased with them.
I dislike how loud they pump the music up REALLY loud in our city's store. That, coupled with the stench of the perfume and cologne you can smell 3 stores down gives me a headache.
Also, the sizing at Abercrombie is whack.

However, despite all my qualms with A&F and Hollister, I still like the stores for the most part. Go figure

23-07-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_25th View Post
Hollister isn't as bad when it comes to overpricing compared to Abercrombie. Freaking RIDICULOUS. I can't remember if/when I ever bought something full price at A&F. I think Hollister has better sales (50% off) and selection in sizes (At A&F you'd be hard pressed to find a sale item you like in a size other than XS and XL). Their hoodies are surprisingly soft, I'm quite pleased with them.
I dislike how loud they pump the music up REALLY loud in our city's store. That, coupled with the stench of the perfume and cologne you can smell 3 stores down gives me a headache.
Also, the sizing at Abercrombie is whack.

However, despite all my qualms with A&F and Hollister, I still like the stores for the most part. Go figure
Oh man, I went return something that I bought at Hollister, and I have also noticed that the music was soooo freaking loud and same with the cologne. lol.

23-07-2009
oh! darling

Quote:
Hear, hear! Too. Freakin'. Loud.

V.I.P.

bring your iPod, pop in your own earbuds, ignore their BGM

24-07-2009
fashion elite

Totally agree about the music in Hollister. I haven't shopped there in a couple of years but when I used to, I remember just getting so annoyed with the music and wanting to get out of there!

Personally, I like Hollister better than A&F. A&F is too overpriced for what it is.

25-07-2009
Noblesse oblige

I have only been once to A&F - that was in NYC at Fth Ave. Also there the music was unbearable loud, so I left before I had had a look at the clothes.

25-07-2009
V.I.P.

i've seen your style Zarina on WAYWT and A&F stuff wouldn't have been your cup of tea anyways lol

25-07-2009
Noblesse oblige

^I guess you are right

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abercombie, fitch, hollister