How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-07-2007
fashion elite

i fell shady too.. i just bought some Max Azria shoes...

lol.

17-07-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PursePrincess View Post
I feel soo guilty reading your post.....,because I do buy lot's of things I dont really need....like....Another pair of designer shoes

I can afford them,but sometimes i wish i can be less selfish and use the money on something more useful for others,or maybe save for my own future???
Well, there are lots of great organizations out there doing good work--Heifer International, Doctors without Borders, and so many more ... if I were you, though, I'd be tempted to start my own What's important to you? What's the change you would like to see in the world? I have found it really fulfilling to be personally involved with things I think are really important.

I'll tell you what I would think about doing if I didn't have to work, and that's to organize a campaign to get the levees in New Orleans fixed properly, and also draw the connection between global warming and whether we get to keep any of our coasts or not. Al Gore and the whole green crowd + the New Orleans music scene ... now there's a party just waiting to happen

PS I have been thinking about my own priorities, and have decided to hold my spending for fall to $1000 (exception for the pair of shoes I have pre-ordered, assuming they show up). This should be an interesting challenge I can remember a time when I would have thought this was a very exciting budget, but then $$$ went a lot further then too

18-07-2007
front row

I totally get what you guys mean. Sometimes I feel kinda disheartened when people comment on a celebrity's outfit and say she's got a "mall rat" look. What about people who can't even afford to splurge at the local mall?? My clothing budget per month is probably about 100 pounds (about $200)...not really that much.

Sometimes fashion gets me frustrated because I love it so much and I feel like I know more about it than most of my friends in college but still I can't express it the way I want to, because I can't afford most of the things I love.

V.I.P.

lick1987 ^the trick is to make your own

19-07-2007
V.I.P.

^You make it sound so easy!

19-07-2007
front row

I do not have so many designer pieces because I can not afford them either, like most of you. I buy a few on sale or ebay as much as can but I had a big credit card problem (twice) so I stopped shopping whether they are designer or not . In my city, designer goods are pretty much expensive than the other countries and we do not have many outlet stores that sells designer goods. I have a job with not very high salary,I have to pay rent and other expenses ..etc,no rich husband or boyfriend or family. I love fashion a lot but it gives me pain when I would like to have all great items that I know I will never have

19-07-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaou View Post
I live at home, rent free :p...in addition, I live in the NYC metro area so I have easy access to all the huge department stores and boutiques, whereI buy almost everything on sale. The only thing I pay for full-price are handbags that don't go on sale. Everything else, I wait for it to go on sale. I'm of the mindset where if something is meant for me, I will eventually get it...if I can't get it, then I'm better off without it.

this is how i live also!! only difference is i will pay for some great shoes...
(and jeans sometimes)..i'm moving up to really investing in a great handbag for fall that will carry me through years...not only b/c its a designer but b/c its well made!

i live for Sample sales...and trade employee discounts!! I just bought a $1K Alexander McQueen shoe for $200!!!! it was 80 % off...
there are some things in NYC I

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
^You make it sound so easy!
nah it just takes some time

19-07-2007
& b

I sell my body.

I still can't cut it for kmart though

V.I.P.

I'm part of the "Never Pay Full Price" club. I had NO money in high school-our family had a house and cars, but we weren't well off to where I could do all the activities or things I wanted, and I pretty much had to skrimp on everything. Clothes were the fashionable things on clearance racks, but I am picky so I was able to do well. Ever since I've gotten a job though, I could afford to maybe get a piece or two every so often but not every day. The only thing I splurge on though are my sunglasses. I don't see the need for me personally to have a ton of clothing that I won't wear because I have no life outside the house besides work, and I have such a strict dress code that it wouldn't matter. I have enough dresses and tops anyways!

20-07-2007
princely

Saying everyone here has designer clothes here is a big overstatement. When looking through threads, I find there are just as many members who spend alot on designer clothes and members who don't buy any designer clothes. Personally, I have maybe 2 or 3 items tht could be called "designer", though they aren't anything luxurious. My advice is to try buying clothes of better quality, but not as many, at least that way the clothes you have will stay with you for a longer time. If you find yourself in awe of all the designer purchases, use it as a means of motivation for yourself to work harder and hopefully one day you will be able to buy them too. Clothes are what you make of it, so be creative and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 20-07-2007 at 06:38 PM.
20-07-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lick1987 View Post
Sometimes fashion gets me frustrated because I love it so much and I feel like I know more about it than most of my friends in college but still I can't express it the way I want to, because I can't afford most of the things I love.
My sentiments exactly, word for word

Browsing through lagarconne.com just breaks my heart!!!

21-07-2007
rising star

I don't have many designer items, but the ones I do have I paid for with the money I earn working.

I didn't have designer purses when I was a high school student, nor a college student, nor all those years I was a graduate student and a post-doctoral researcher. Now, I can afford them.

21-07-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by PursePrincess View Post
I feel soo guilty reading your post.....,because I do buy lot's of things I dont really need....like....Another pair of designer shoes

I can afford them,but sometimes i wish i can be less selfish and use the money on something more useful for others,or maybe save for my own future???

Well,I really admire your honesty,and hey...You can be stylish with H&M too you know!!!
Hey, don't fret.
If you do have the money, there's nothing wrong with spoiling yourself from time to time...

I'd simply feel guilty if I spent my food/gas/ whatever money I get from my parents (who both work very hard) on something too expensive for my standards and then beg them for more money bc I ran out of it And they'd tell me off for sure.

It's just a matter of income. One day when I finally start working, I will spend some of my money on one fine bag, I already know that... but until then I guess I will stick to H&M and the like

24-07-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lick1987 View Post
that is exactly the way how i feel ! Probably I get more money than other my ppl in my age , so there's nothing to complain about , but yeah ... good fashion is expensive. but I think the point to say : "okay now I've enough money and can afford all designer clothes and can buy the newest pieces..." will never be reached. unless you become a real billionaire. otherwise you will always be a step behind the scene. even if you earn a lot of money ... it's the concept of this market ... more & more & more ... and we're all so addicted that we ( at least me ) feel never on the top of the trends.

btw ... i'm only 16 , but my concept is ... either pieces have to be really cheap ( like H&M and stuff ... you can save a lot of money that way , the basics are okay there... but the quality has to be good! ) or expensive. nothing in between ... cause that is crap in general.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
afford, designer, items