How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2007
backstage pass

^ But you can have "good fashion" at any price really. If you combine things in the right way, make your own, add your own touch to them etc., you can make any piece special.

24-07-2007
tfs star

I've always wondered. But then I think, how many 14 year olds can affored Prada and Galliano?

One day, One day I will! lol
I agreee so much with you though marylauda!

backstage pass

Sometimes I get depressed too; especially when I see the rich girls at my college dressing to trashy southern but with so much money; they dress in the crappy i think I'm preppy clothes of abercrombie; head to toe all the time. While I scrape around rhe internet for deals on hip contemporary clothes.

I shop at strategic times like now right before school and then later for winter. I live at home during the summers and in dorms during school so I don't have to pay utilities or food; unless I eat out; and then I search for online coupons; I also just pay for gas and try to walk as often as I kind. But I do try to buy staples like great cashmere sweaters and a good coat. the coat can come from vintage or second hand. shoes and sunglasses are my link though. I have two pairs of eyeglasses one chanel that I bought and another a cheaper pair that my mom bought.( she refuses to pay for expensive things) At times I do splurge and can't help myslef; but I've been breaking myslef of buying lots of crap on sale. Plus you can go to target and get basics to pepper over more high-end things.

03-08-2007
front row

I've been wondering about this myself. I saw a thirteen-years-old girl today at the plaza who bought a $200 coin purse, and it ate me. But I guess it is just about priorities. My friend and I earn about the same income. But she always seem to be shopping, and eating out.

I rarely buy any designer daily clothes. When I buy designer clothes, I shoot for the dresses or gowns. Most of the dresses and gowns I own are vintage Versace, Dior, Valentino, and Givenchy. And no I didn't buy them, my dad got them for me. (This is one of the things that makes me regret getting myself emancipated from him when I was 15) But it taught me the value of money. Now I have to earn all my privileges through my own money.

I just got a $400 red leather jacket, and it feels absolutely amazing. I know it doesn't mean much for someone who buys $2000 bags, but it's the first time I got something a bit pricy with my own hard-earned money. I do hope I will someday be able to update my gowns collection with haute couture garments.

But money doesn't equal class, or style. I saw so many people wearing expensive clothing (and I mean EXPENSIVE), and they look...well...tasteless. Then again, I once wore an outfit that cost me 50 bucks and people thought I were an heiress (not anymore, people!) and they got pretty disappointed that I said no to this Valentino lacy red dress.lol

People need to realize that designer clothes aren't all that to rave about. I detest the garment instantly if the name of the brand or the designer is sewn or shown out front. I only buy pricy clothing if the material AND the making are worth it. I would never pick up a tissue-thin blouse for hundreds of dollars, no matter if it is of the best designer in the world.

05-08-2007
windowshopping

i agree with everyone that said style isn't the price of your clothing; my mom refused to buy designer stuff (even though she loved them) because she thought they were way too pricey; she constantly shopped at outlets and middle-range stores and she always looked good.

i only have a few pairs of designer jeans but i'm working towards more high-end pieces. i have to break my bad habit of buying cheaper pieces just beucase i'm in the mood...

07-08-2007
backstage pass

I don't know why there is such a big fuss about designer clothes. In fact, these clothes are very pricey, because of the brand and its name. You can also be fashionable with clothes from Zara or H&M or Forever 21, because what matters most is not that label that you see only for yourself, it's the beauty of the product and how it suits you, it's very important that you like it. Anyway fashion changes very quickly these days and if it's not in fashion anymore, you'll not wear those Balenciaga jodhpurs again, even if you spent a lot of money on them.
Indeed, quality is very important, but if you don't get to wear something that often, then quality doesn't get its role: the durability of the garment. Then why spend hundreds of dollars when you can be chic with less?
I have only one pair of Calvin Klein jeans and one pair of Michael Kors shoes, because I found them at a really good price.
Designer clothes are made only for the super rich who can afford to spend like, 10 000$ a day. But if you live in New York and get to the sample sales, then you're a lucky person.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanboy View Post
helloooo

swedish designers are the new cool. you guys are lucky
hehe ok that's kinda true! clothes from rodebjer, acne, cheap monday and so on is cheaper to buy in sweden than the states. but if i wanna buy for example marc jacobs, luella or something like that, i can't! the prices are c-r-a-z-y! it's cheaper to travel to nyc and buy stuff and fly home than buy it in sweden.

Push it to pop it!

It's basically been said already, but if you are just a normal middle class person, you might have to give up some stuff to afford nice things... and you definitely have to save up for a while if your entire wardrobe is designer.

And you have to stop buying things that are just ok... rather, look for stuff you love.

I used to only buy stuff that was just ok, and I now regret it because i spent a ridiculous amount on things that I don't even wear anymore...

also, shop online!

10-08-2007
windowshopping

I shop online. The internet has saved me a fortune in finding great deals on almost everything. Ebay, regular boutiques with discount codes, price matching, etc has saved me a fortune.

10-08-2007
rising star

I feel like all the megative comments towards people who already have money are a little unwarrented I don't know but I dislike when people make themselves out to better than other people in terms of taste, because it seems horribly arrogant and self-righteous. Sorry, just had to vent a little. It's true they have money they may not deserve but it's not your job to judge and envy, just to work on yourself.

On the topic at hand: I don't actually own any proper designer items, a few items from their lines but nothing special. I know people who do and they work very hard at their jobs to be able to afford it, because clothing is never a priority. It's proper to enjoy fashion without buying every pretty piece you see and wanting to own it, like it's possible to enjoy art. But as people we tend to want to horde items.

11-08-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingminglei View Post
I feel like all the megative comments towards people who already have money are a little unwarrented I don't know but I dislike when people make themselves out to better than other people in terms of taste, because it seems horribly arrogant and self-righteous. Sorry, just had to vent a little. It's true they have money they may not deserve but it's not your job to judge and envy, just to work on yourself.

You took the words out of my mouth.

If I got a dollar every time I read/hear/come across someone online and/or real life say things about other people like more money than sense, more money than taste, you can't buy good taste, money can't buy style, fashion victim, label whore, how nouveaux riche, new money style, money can't buy elegance, money can't buy this and that, tacky galore, gaudy galore, etc etc etc (you get my drift), I'd probably be rich by now.

I've been fortunate enough to know people from different financial backgrounds and more often than not, the people who say unsavoury comments towards the people who "have" are the ones who don't have it and the only thing that makes people say crap is nothing but pure envy and jealousy.

I say live and let live. I always believed personal style is personal. Taste is personal. Elegance is personal. Spending habits is personal. Same applies to beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so what looks pretty to someone might be absolutely hideous to another.

11-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

I see no problem with harassing people who wear only expensive, status-symbol items.

Not to make them feel bad, but to let them know that they only like their logoed wardrobe because it makes them feel more important than everyone else.

Whether the people who say that are jealous or not, its true

11-08-2007
rising star

what a great thread topic. just wanted to let it be known, that i enjoy reading this one...

front row

outlet stores, gifts, sales and ebay.

12-08-2007
fashion icon

thats why i started this thread! it really is an interesting read..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
afford, designer, items