How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2007
backstage pass

I mostly buy designers stuff, but many times I get great stuff on the sales. For me there´s no middle range, clothes have to be designers or very cheap (from flea markets and such), what´s in between is mediocre, just bad rip offs of designers with no quality, like Zara.
And I think to be greatly dressed you have to spend certain money, it´s imposible to be super chic and trendy wearing H&M only. But if you pair your H&M top with a pair of cool jeans or a nice handbag then that can be really cute. But if you only wear cheap clothing, cheap handbag and cheap shoes, you´ll look cheap for sure.
Some designers stuff is overpriced, but there´s no doubt you´re paying extra for something (design, quality, colours...)

13-08-2007
rising star

i think its good to splurge on a couple designer pieces -- like a great coat, pair of shoes, or handbag. other than that I just try to recreate looks or silhouettes that I see on the runway... sure its all about the clothes, but it's also abt the way in which the designer chose to showcase these pieces on the runway- this is genius and it's what im inspired by. sometimes you just think "wow, i would have never thought to pair that and that together, but it looks great!"

someone was saying in another thread that the difference between american and european style is that americans are abt quantity while the europeans are all about quality. that means that its okay if you don't have a million tops or dresses, but the ones that you do have are great quality and you can pair with different pieces in sooo many ways

ps. having said that i can see myself starving a little when I am working in mid-20s to afford some designer stuff. i cant help myself

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTER View Post
But if you only wear cheap clothing, cheap handbag and cheap shoes, you´ll look cheap for sure.
I must have the appearance of a really cheap person, then.

backstage pass

You don´t sound like you have a cheap attitude. I didn´t mean to offend anyone here, I was just talking about clothing!

13-08-2007
scenester

Quote:
I mostly buy designers stuff, but many times I get great stuff on the sales. For me there´s no middle range, clothes have to be designers or very cheap (from flea markets and such), what´s in between is mediocre, just bad rip offs of designers with no quality, like Zara.
And I think to be greatly dressed you have to spend certain money, it´s imposible to be super chic and trendy wearing H&M only. But if you pair your H&M top with a pair of cool jeans or a nice handbag then that can be really cute. But if you only wear cheap clothing, cheap handbag and cheap shoes, you´ll look cheap for sure.
Some designers stuff is overpriced, but there´s no doubt you´re paying extra for something (design, quality, colours...)
wow, that sounds very narrow-minded to me.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course . But to me, it's completely different.

I think style, elegance, are something that comes from the inside of a person. And I truly believe that one can express those qualities (if one has them) even with "cheap" clothing.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy designer stuff if I had more money. But I think that especially in clothes (more than in accessories) the difference isn't worth my money (for now... maybe in the future I'll have more money to spend without regrets).

But I really, really believe that you can be chic with items only from zara, h&m, mango, accessorize (for the bags... I don't know if it's only in Europe tough).

Too often people make the equation between "designer items" and "absolute elegance". It can be like that, but it's not as simple as that.

backstage pass

British I think you are right in a way, designers stuff is not equal to elegance but cheap clothing will never be equal to designers chic. You can be chic, pretty and cool with cheap clothing for sure, but if you compare H&M to Prada...OMG!
You can be so cool with cheap stuff and look terrible all in super expensive designers stuff, I agree on that. Spending money doesn´t assure you elegance at all. But you are talking about someone with really good taste buying cheap and another person so tacky buying designers. But what about the same person chosing a dress in Mango and then another one in Miu Miu? That can make a big difference. Just compare the textiles, the shape, the design...
Why don´t we compare someone with really great taste dressed in Top Shop and some other girl, with a great sense of style dressed in Marc Jacobs?
I own a lot of designers stuff and some stuff from flea markets or cheap stores, and I can tell you nothing can beat the wild silk and pattern of my last Christian Lacroix blouse.

14-08-2007
scenester

Quote:
British I think you are right in a way, designers stuff is not equal to elegance but cheap clothing will never be equal to designers chic. You can be chic, pretty and cool with cheap clothing for sure, but if you compare H&M to Prada...OMG!
You can be so cool with cheap stuff and look terrible all in super expensive designers stuff, I agree on that. Spending money doesn´t assure you elegance at all. But you are talking about someone with really good taste buying cheap and another person so tacky buying designers. But what about the same person chosing a dress in Mango and then another one in Miu Miu? That can make a big difference. Just compare the textiles, the shape, the design...
Why don´t we compare someone with really great taste dressed in Top Shop and some other girl, with a great sense of style dressed in Marc Jacobs?
I own a lot of designers stuff and some stuff from flea markets or cheap stores, and I can tell you nothing can beat the wild silk and pattern of my last Christian Lacroix blouse.
Yes, in that sense the comparison means much more!

Sorry but your previous statement seemed a bit "strong"

backstage pass

1. Borrow stuff from Mom

2. eBay

3. Sales

4. Designer-inspired stuff from Zara and Mango (don't really like H&M that much)

14-08-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishkiller View Post
I think style, elegance, are something that comes from the inside of a person. And I truly believe that one can express those qualities (if one has them) even with "cheap" clothing.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy designer stuff if I had more money. But I think that especially in clothes (more than in accessories) the difference isn't worth my money (for now... maybe in the future I'll have more money to spend without regrets).

But I really, really believe that you can be chic with items only from zara, h&m, mango, accessorize (for the bags... I don't know if it's only in Europe tough).

Too often people make the equation between "designer items" and "absolute elegance". It can be like that, but it's not as simple as that.
I agree

14-08-2007
& b

I will get banned if I open my mouth right now.

so i must not.

& b

what's REALLY sad is that there's people that actually think like that.

trendsetter

Go Ale!

14-08-2007
fashion icon

i get my designer stuff from second hand stores, factory ends
designer clothes in general is ridiculous in pricing, but if it's a really well piece and the price is at least somehow on sale than i think it would be an investment.

i agree with INTER in post #105. there is no comparison to a well cut, good quality fabric, well structured designer piece to a water downed retail store piece.

a good designer piece is forever. it's something you show your child and your grand child, something you can pass down like how you pass down a valueable necklace or wedding ring.

14-08-2007
rising star

As much as people cry quality, I just cannot imagine spending a lot on just one thing. Frankly, it's just my mindset. I am not in the upper classed and I just don't get new things like that.

By the time I actually do have a bit of money, buying a $100+ anything at once and calling it and "investment" is the last thing on my mind. I have things I really should be saving for like college or maybe even up to a good investment like land.

My mindset won't let me justify any large purchase, and I don't think it ever will. I could be making donations, helping my family out elsewhere, or saving up for a rainy day.

As a result, I buy cheap probably 85% of the and I make no apologies. I really want to learn how to sew so I can make my own stuff. (And if I learned how to cobble some shoes I might die of excitement...)

Yes, I'm only a teen, but with my family and background, that's just how I'm raised and I'll likely stay this way for yearrss to come. (After all, what kinds of teens that splurge talk about land investment?)

Seeing all these people with their collection of designer pieces that I wouldn't dream of spending that much on ten of those, it is a bit intimidating.

I suppose I will just never know about this ever bragged about quality. I am more into a look than designers.

14-08-2007
V.I.P.

sales

good copies

do it yourself works best for me

take advantage of your bday

cry and scream on your mother
p.s. maman i love u!!!! LOL

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
afford, designer, items