How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2005
backstage pass

Designer
I have read quite a few threads about how some members of this board buy designer clothes, handbags, accessories etc but how the hell do you afford it? I can only dream of buying any designer stuff! Are you wealthy or just buy it and get broke?!

05-04-2005
backstage pass

A little bit of both. I usually see whats going on and get stuff at a cheaper price or try to find someone that knows how to sew to make it for me : )
I think alot of people buy it and get broke, there are people that can actually afford go out and buy a $5,000. Unfortunately Im not one of them

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
05-04-2005
etre soi-meme

i dont buy designer clothes..

05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy-t1
I have read quite a few threads about how some members of this board buy designer clothes, handbags, accessories etc but how the hell do you afford it? I can only dream of buying any designer stuff! Are you wealthy or just buy it and get broke?!
It funny...Missy, when I first came to TFS I felt that way too...looking around at everyone buying this and buying that....I thought everyone on here was super rich but once you get to know people (not that I am done doing that) you realize that people save up for items they want...use discounts, have rich friends, know where to shop for good deals,....etc. Don't let the "DESIGNER" stuff get to you....I don't think anyone on TFS (except for a select few) are on that "Donald Trump" "Bill Gates" "Sultan of Brunai" level.....YET!!!

Last edited by *Happiness*; 05-04-2005 at 10:08 PM.
05-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
i dont buy designer clothes..
*seconds the statement

06-04-2005
V.I.P.

I buy a ton of designer stuff, but I always find good deals on most of it. And I just save up for the stuff that's still really expensive.

03-07-2007
fashion icon

How does everyone afford all these designer items?
I know that I have credit cards up the wazoo and a few things have been gifts but some people here who post are so young and seem to have thousands of dollars worth of stuff...like over 10 pairs of Louboutins!

Do you all have amazing jobs and get things for free or just have generous parents or in substantial amount of debt?

fashion elite

lol...
well i dont really have a ton of designer stuff, i love H&M and some of the stuff is even better then designer,

but...

SAMPLE SALES.

a benefit of living in nyc, im sure, but seriously, like 30-70% off awesome designer stuff.

03-07-2007
V.I.P.

There is this kind of thread already...but
tFS is such a large community and there are people with income in both ends...And I guess we all know that great style has little to do with the insides of your wallet. For myself, I make 800 a month by working hard, and not in so pleasant job. But for a 16-year-old that money is a lot, and I can splurge on some things that aren't necessary clothes...And I guess that's how it goes like: to some people, shopping designer clothes is their only vice, the thing they invest their money in.

03-07-2007
In Bloom

It also depends on where you live... I don't know anyone who owns anything worth more than $500...because of the insane taxes we have to pay in Denmark. And on top of that, food is very very expensive as well Actually, everything is expensive.

we were in love

03-07-2007
the crying of humanity

I wonder this myself.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
It also depends on where you live... I don't know anyone who owns anything worth more than $500...because of the insane taxes we have to pay in Denmark. And on top of that, food is very very expensive as well Actually, everything is expensive.
same same in sweden! like you cannot buy designerstuff here, you need to buy it somewhere else and ship it over. haha.

backstage pass

I have been wondering this too...especially when I stumbled upon the "Post Your Handbag Collection" thread...

04-07-2007
rising star

I think there are a lot of people quite high up in the business on this forum and therefore they must get loads of freebies as well as very well paid jobs...

04-07-2007
V.I.P.

I remember reading that Isabella Blow (RIP ) bought an entire collection (Jean Paul Gaultier, I believe) and it took her two years to pay back all of the debt.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
afford, designer, items