I'd pay $X for This but not for That - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-05-2005
front row

As far as health being a #1 priority...it SHOULD be that way, but a decent amount of us are young...and pretty much feel invincible at this point (not that that's a GOOD thing, but it's just how things are)

I'd have to say that I haven't been to a doctor/dentist since I graduated highschool (I'm 20 so that's about 2 years) and even though I really could have afforded to...I've spent most of my money on food and clothing.

Emi

18-05-2005
holy####ery

I would not pay a lot for things that are worthless. I (or rather, my parents and I) am/are not going to spend, for instance, an extra $50 for a triple turn-down service at a hotel if I'm going to be sight-seeing the whole day. And I'm not going to buy sit at a restaurant, buy $100 dollars worth of stuff and not eat it all. I'm not going to buy anything just because it's expensive and people will know that's expensive. It's one thing to be fashion-concious, but it's another thing to be a label hog. Just my opinion.

18-05-2005
front row

hrm, this was a really good idea for a post, AYLI! as for me...I spent three grand on my laptop after taxes, but wouldnt dream of currently spending that on a purse. then again, my computer has given a lot back - Ive taken it to at least one wedding Ive shot, done tons of hours of image editing on it.....its pretty much necessary. it was also completely payed off months after I purchased it

I would love to spend money on a gorgeous bag, but, even if I had employment, and the budget, there is always what my mom would say she is very.....uhm....vocal, bless her. love her to death, but she would NEVER let me get away with spending even a grand on a purse unless I was uber well off!

even without me working at the moment, me and my bf spend a lot of money on food.....we will drop 40+ on sushi per sitting, and untill recently, were eating sushi twice a week! yikes.

I would also drop a wad of cash on camera gear in a heartbeat - my camera cost me two grand, and while that is not a lot, and it has dropped in price a TON since I got it....thats still a huge chunk of change for me. same thing with my camera as my computer though, i get a lot back from it.

not to say you dont get a lot back from a handbag, but, for me, not as much as a computer or a laptop...but one day! this job search is really killing my morale though, and I suppose looking at expensive things on tFS doesnt help that much
silly me.

front row

i spent nearly $800 on a chanel bag but when my boyfriend bought a surround system for his tv for the same amount i just shook my head in disbelief.
i would only spend a lot of money on fashion but nothing else. i have a radio thats like 10 yrs old and it doesn't bother me at all.

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

I would willingly pay all my money on clothes- if people didn't stop me. But when it comes to things like paying to go see a movie ($20 for a ticket and popcorn), I think it is ridiculous.

18-05-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

I hate paying for anything that you can't keep...

V.I.P.

I spend too much on coats...... and too little for my health. Like I am supposed to buy new dermatologist prescribed cream every month and there are months when I am like "Oh who cares, tooth paste should work for zits", and I need new glasses and contact lenses because I can't see so well with the ones I have right now, and I am always like damn, but I can't I have to pay for some clothes......

Argh, I am such a dumbass.

18-05-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
I won't pay sh*t for anything other than fashion and music stuff. Well, I do. I'm not cheap by any means. But I hate spending money on anything other than those things.

Edit: Almost forgot, if I take a girl out, I'll drop a load of cash. I love really nice dates. My favorite restaurants are super expensive.
I have been observing your posts, and seriously, youre the biggest sweetheart (and not just cuz you like to spend on dates)....

so back to the topic:

I will spend on a Louis Vuitton and my car... but I would never buy like couture that isnt D&G.
I can not picture spending $1000 on a skirt, but a purse- no biggie.

V.I.P.

I am cheapie when it comes to food..... I could skip tons of lunches just to save up to buy some CDs or other "useless stuff".

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
I hate paying for anything that you can't keep...

agreed

18-05-2005
front row

Great thread.

I agree w/Faust about needing to feel the quality of something I'm buying - and the more I'll be paying the better the quality should be.

I try to do my cost-saving on big-ticket items, like cars, and am more relaxed about stuff like food. And gasoline. I don't want to have to freak out about a few cents or a couple bucks.

My husband likes caviar, though, and I hope that habit stays in check. So, as to food, I only hesitate at *really* expensive dinners (like over $45/entree, not that we have $45 entrees that often), caviar, champagne (we'll do Moet or Domaine Carneros or Roederer, not Dom, but then I don't really *like* Dom.), blueberries and strawberries at $4 up for a tiny package. But if there are any real cravings, we'll get them.

I'm more hesitant to shell out for a lipstick or eyeshadow - even if it's only $13, even if I spent that at lunch without a second thought. (Well, one can only eat so much in a day, but you could conceivably buy out the whole cosmetics section, you know.)

As to vehicles, I can't (not at my current income anyway) step up and buy a new luxury brand, nor do I think I'd really want to. Instead I research the heck out of the market, and buy current-styling but used luxury brands from private owners. I'd *never* go buy a new, cheaper, non-lux make of car (and that's to do w/my styling preferences and quality perceptions).

Also, as to clothing, the market seems to have reduced prices over the years on meh/middling fashion clothing (I mean GAP, Limited, etc.). So while I'd spend 'whatever's-needed-within-reason' for a classic piece from a great make that I know is high quality, the mass-market clothing has to be reasonably priced or I just won't buy it because there are so many similar alternatives out there for less. (Not talking about one-of-a-kind items.)

The iffy construction and fabrics of some of these mass market brands freaked me out enough recently to go find a really good designer resale shop (the woman has fantastic taste, sleek items in my colors, and the store does not smell like mildew). So I'm building up a basic, higher-end wardrobe with that, and am happy shelling out even much more than I'd spend on a new pair of pants from say, Express, for a great well-made, lightly pre-owned basic. (Most recent buy there was a Giorgio Armani wool herringbone jacket for $100.. matches a bunch of stuff and can be dressed up or down, I love it.)

Last edited by cbcb; 18-05-2005 at 09:27 PM.
19-05-2005
Diamond

Fun thread! I refuse to spend a lot on candles or any other home fragrance. I see these candles and oils that sell for like $50 and I just think it's outrageous! I also have a hard time paying a lot for body wash, bubble bath, and other bath related products. Anything over $25 is too much for me.

~Madeleine Albright
19-05-2005
backstage pass

i d never pay a lot for D&G because the quality sux

windowshopping

I will pay hundreds of dollars for shoes, clothes and purses (which I cannot afford because I'm a student) but I am willing to go into debt and not eat lunch for months for these things - but what can I say I'm just obsessed.

Then again I would not spend more than like $100 on fixing my car - I'd rather just take the bus or the train...(I live in L.A.) I don't think that my car deserves a lot of money because I just don't connect with it. It's just a machine that'll get me to work and school - nothing really special.

I need a 12-step program I should have different priorities.

~Carly

Last edited by DramaticChick; 19-05-2005 at 01:08 PM.
19-05-2005
slightly dizzy

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't like to spend money on travels... I love travelling, but I'd rather spend my money on clothes and accessories. It's not like I never travel, but I don't do it as much as I feel I could and should... What I really like spending money on is knitwear (some cotton, but mostly wool or cashmere) and shoes/bags. And skin care.

My apartment is also something I should spend more money on. For instance, I should get a new floor for the hall and kitchenette because it's old and disgusting linoleum or something. I will do it soon, it REALLY needs to be done. Still, not my favourite way to spend money... I should look into buying a not-quite-so-tiny apartment, I could afford it. But it's so tempting to keep spending money on other stuff...

Oh yeah, like AYLI said, shipping feels very expensive somehow. I just sent four insured parcels to Sweden: 138 . Yikes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
$x, pay