How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

I'd pay $X for This but not for That
I was down to the bike shop today, putting some money down on some long-awaited upgrades for my much-abused commute bike and a few simple things quickly totalled up to $230, a fairly lordly sum which I ponied up with little complaint.

Now. It took me three months to commit to buying a $70 pair of shoes, and I'd run naked up the street before I paid $230 for a pair of jeans, but on my bike I'll spend it without thinking twice.

Makes me wonder what other people's spending threshholds are, and what they willingly will drop a big chunk of cash for, but won't spend the same amount for another item.

For instance, I had no problem digging up the $315 when we had to buy a refrigerator, but I couldn't imagine paying that much for a purse. Conversely, I have no problem whatsoever paying $100 for a pair of boots when they last me for 8 years, but I wouldn't spend that much on little tidbits from MAC. Electronic stuff, I'll fork over the cash pretty willingly, but I won't go over $50 for a pair of jeans.

In my own little spending sphere, I'm willing to pay more for shoes (but not over about $150, it seems) but not willing to pay more than $50 for most other clothing items.

However, I'm just about to pay out the price of an average Vuitton for a fresh paint job for my car.

I definitely justify my big-dollar purchases by how much I'll use it. I ride my bike daily, therefore $230 is a small price to pay for a pleasant, speedy, and trouble-free commute. My car is a classic, and therefore a good paint-job only increases its value. I put a lot of miles on my feet, so Payless just won't cut the mustard.

So, what'll you guys fork out the big bucks for, and what price-line will you absolutely not cross?

17-05-2005
User Friendly

Yeah, I pay more for things like necessities.. or what I deem necessary. A refrigerator for example.. you only have one and you use it on a daily basis and its needed while a purse is not.

My example would be textbooks.. I spend hundreds of dollars on books every quarter.. and I think.. man.. I could have gone shopping and bought shoes!! Though if I had that money.. I actually wouldn't buy shoes.. but save it instead since I'm broke. But thats my example.. 120 dollars for a chemistry book.. because I'm a student and thats what I'm going to school for.. to learn.. not dress cute.. though I can still do that with my budget I think.. well I'd like to think so at least

17-05-2005
V.I.P.

I won't pay sh*t for anything other than fashion and music stuff. Well, I do. I'm not cheap by any means. But I hate spending money on anything other than those things.

Edit: Almost forgot, if I take a girl out, I'll drop a load of cash. I love really nice dates. My favorite restaurants are super expensive.

Last edited by AlexN; 17-05-2005 at 08:14 PM.
17-05-2005
Frozen irony.

Hellooo, Alex

Nah, seriously I totally agree, with what Alex said, I hate spending money on anthing else than fashion related items, I hardly do, and if i have to i do anything to avoid it.

17-05-2005
V.I.P.

I hate wasting money. I have to feel a worth of things that I'm buying, no matter the price. Hence, I don't mind spending $300 on a well made garment, and absolutely loathe and feel cheated when I buy a $5 sandwich that tastes like crap.

17-05-2005
front row

i have too many bills and am practically broke to have a threshold.

17-05-2005
fashion insider

At our household, everything is kind of balanced. We spend a lot on furniture, clothes, cars, etc. We are only stingy when it comes to food...

17-05-2005
User Friendly

my family is quite the opposite.. my parents are super stingy.. to the point where I have to lie about some of my purchases in fear of being reprieved.. but when it comes to food.. they're willing to shell the dinero

17-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I hate wasting money. I have to feel a worth of things that I'm buying, no matter the price. Hence, I don't mind spending $300 on a well made garment, and absolutely loathe and feel cheated when I buy a $5 sandwich that tastes like crap.
Exactly!

17-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA
my family is quite the opposite.. my parents are super stingy.. to the point where I have to lie about some of my purchases in fear of being reprieved..
Oh my gosh, I do the exact same thing! I'm so unlike the rest of my family. My mom always asks "so how much was that?" in a really bitchy tone, of course. So I just say, "Uhhh...I don't remember." Then she knows she's not going to get anything out of me and just leaves me alone.

17-05-2005
fashion insider

Okay, something I find ridiculous are the kids at my school whos parents drive Ferrari's, Bentley's, and Maybach's. Spending so much money on a car is stupid considering its money put on the road for someone else to potentially damage it and not be able to cover repairs.

17-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourniquetMX
At our household, everything is kind of balanced. We spend a lot on furniture, clothes, cars, etc. We are only stingy when it comes to food...
that seems so wrong...
your health should always be your number one priority...
because without it nothing else matters...

and food is a HUGE part of that...

food is something i never scrimp on..
but i have pretty high standards...

i hate spending money on cleaning supplies and toiletries...
dry cleaning, laundry detergent, home repairs...
all the necessities.......

17-05-2005
scenester

I'll drop (in total after having it fitted) a couple hundred on my chef coat, to wear it to class/a job for say a month just to have it splattered in grease/blood/whatever else finds it way onto me, and not bat an eye when I have to buy another one, same with my shoes (hellllo 9+ hours on my feet I better be comfortable) just to have those covered in grease and grime. Things that I need to get ahead (school = tuition, books, supplies).. or cookbooks, extra classes, labs with guest instructors, those can get costly over $500 for a two hour session with some "star" chef. But I'll pay it.

Want to see me freak out, watch me grumbling as I walk outta the hair dresser every month or so ($150 and I'm pissed off and it sucks because I love my hair just hate that I could have paid off some more tuition or had half a car payment saved up)

I love shopping, I just dont spend the money on myself. I can easily walk in see a purse and say omg that would be great for so and so, and buy it, be it $50 or $300, now If I saw it and liked it .. I would have to justify why I should be dropping $50 or $300 on myself and 99.9% of the time I talk myself out of it or say well I didnt like it that much anyways. Or I buy it and then whatever purchase I made sits on my dresser and I have to talk myself into keeping it and not returning it. If my mom knows its something I just loved and I'm thinking about not keeping it she'll walk in and take the tags off of it and be like well guess your keeping it now..

17-05-2005
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
that seems so wrong...
your health should always be your number one priority...
because without it nothing else matters...

and food is a HUGE part of that...

food is something i never scrimp on..
but i have pretty high standards...

i hate spending money on cleaning supplies and toiletries...
dry cleaning, laundry detergent, home repairs...
all the necessities.......
After spending some time so poor that we couldn't afford anything but the most basic of food, I now am very willing to spend more money on good food. Fresh fruit and vegetables probably take up the bulk of my grocery bill, but as a vegetarian and as a sensualist, it is very important to me to have high quality fresh produce if at all possible!

I agree about hating to spend money on cleaning supplies and other incidentals. I also hate having to spend money on shipping. I got my mom a marvelous mother's day present and I got my dad some fun stuff for his birthday, and the price to ship the goodies to them was about 1/4 of what I paid for the presents in the first place! *grumble*

I don't mind spending money on fixing up the house, but I knew what I was getting into when we took it upon ourselves to buy a house that's pushing 80 years old. Again, to me it is worth it to have nicely painted walls and gleaming, mellow woodwork and a nice-smelling kitchen. Also pipes that drain or bring forth water, as appropriate and lights which come on when bidden to do so.

17-05-2005
backstage pass

Alex, you and I are quite alike.

I will spend just about anything (I just bought those Dior Homme Lurex blue jeans from that guy in Japan!!!) when I've got my eye on it and I really really want it.

It's strange, but I'll spend just about anything for a good meal out. I really don't care about price, especially when it comes to taking a date out. Although the first date sets the tone... I'll pick a medium range place and see how the girl and I work out hehe.

Though at the same time, my garbage can in my room is a large plastic bucket because I really don't want to go to Hold Everything and buy a garbage can for $20...

I also held off from buying fresh socks for a while too... you couldn't see the old ones I was wearing so I just funneled the $8 it would have cost for a pack of 10 pairs towards something else hahahaha. Well, I wised up and bought a ton.

These next two weekends in the city won't be cheap... LVMH is gonna make some good cash off of me at Dior.

Thank god things like cars aren't necessary in Boston!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
$x, pay