How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-05-2009
trendsetter

I LOVE J.Crew catalogues and the styling (especially the color combinations). But many of their clothes actually don't look so good IRL and the quality has been kinda deteriorating. I have a love and hate relationship with J.Crew suits. They fit me like a glove, but the stitches and seams are unsightly over-lapping and loose and the buttons even have scratches. J.Crew used to make their suits in Japan, now in China.

I hate when they send out in-store only coupons, which are kinda useless to me. Hope Madewell set up an on-line shop soon.

02-05-2009
catch me if you can

I too love J Crew - I have 2 outlets nearby along with a regular store so I frequent it quite a bit. The boy fit tees are some of the most comfy t shirts I own. I also love the bold jewelry that can make a classic peice look more edgy. I have the bauble necklace in the pic that Hanne posted but in black.

Loveletter - I agree with you on the styling -they do a great job there.

front row

They have some great color choices for a assortment of a tee's - earthy and romantic soft tones I've find difficult to find against all the grays and off whites you see in casual tops.

And the styling is always tastefully done, it's making me want to purchase their silk blouse and cargo jacket :p

jcrew.com

Last edited by ElleLesley; 02-05-2009 at 11:27 PM.
03-05-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

I agree. I didn't even glance at that jacket until I saw it styled. Jenna has done a great job setting up a strong styling team. I think the quality of the stuff depends. Some of their stuff, like you said is made in china, other times they get beautiful fabrics and things from Italy, France, etc. It's interesting because on some of their expensive dresses/jackets/tops they mention it's from a couture-house mill and I wonder whether they are being liberal with the use of that term or you really are getting things from high-end Italian mills, couture fabric suppliers at a fraction of the price...

03-05-2009
trendsetter

Some of my friends joke that J.Crew probably uses left over fabric from famous Italian mills because some of their cashmere and other wool sweaters pills easily and terribly, even after only one-day wear. :p I have to admit J.Crew models and the catalogues always make me want to spend more...looking at the items alone doesn't. I have a store nearby but the in-store selection is very limited.

I have been shopping for a short skirt...J.Crew has one that looks similar to Vanessa Bruno's.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I love, love J. Crew.. especially after visiting their website today and actually browsing through everything for the first time in about two years.

But, over the years I have seen many items on which that I couldn't justify spending the money. J. Crew had a beautiful floral shirt last year, but they were charging $168 - I just couldn't put the money down.

I do love their flip flops, and some of their halter tops and tunics are simply gorgeous.

I do have to say that the styling (and visual merchandising) is amazing. For example, lately when I've walked past the J. Crew at the Grove I almost drool because everything looks so wonderful in the displays.

I've also always loved their basic tops. In high school I had this wonderful pea green deep v cami with built in bra, that had criss-cross straps in the back. I also had a beautiful light peach colored top that had the criss-cross straps. I still have the latter... I wear it as a lounge top nowadays.

Here are a few of my favorite casual looks currently in stores, all from jcrew.com:

And Meg - that watercolor tunic you posted is gorgeous.

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

i stopped in this weekend and was really impressed with the merchandise. quite a bit is still too preppy for my tastes but the slubby t's are always great. i tried on a pair of soft grey drawstring wide leg trousers that the saleperson said based on my aesthetic (i was dressed fairly funky that day, marni'd out) those would be too conservative for me but when i came out of the dressing room with them rolled up, slouched and the drawstring tied off center they made total sense for me. i've worn them twice so far and see them as a staple for work. jcrew taken as is, is mostly boring, but funked up a bit if offers solid basics to build on.

06-05-2009
?

I'm a fan of J Crew too, especially for finding summer dresses, but as I am located nowhere near the US I can only buy it on eBay. At the same time, I guess that's part of what makes it slightly special.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

They have some beautiful, staple swimsuits, too...

And their dresses are definitely gorgeous. They can put a bit of a strain on the wallet, so I often check their clearance racks.

And lately, their cardigans have been superb!

I have nothing but good things to say about this past season's lineup.

08-07-2009
rising star

J.crew has been a real discovery for me...i was traveling in the US this past december and when i saw their window display i was like "What IS this???" It's like they read my mind and combined my love for preppy basics with beautiful colors and funky shapes (floral corsages, short-shorts...) I've been kinda all over the place for years with my style, but finally i found a brand i liked for the stuff, NOT the label...
I agree it sucks they don't ship to europe etc., but i got tons of stuff back from my trip, and i use ebay and the likes...always money well spent!

09-07-2009
tfs star

I have been loving J crew so much lately. I remember loving it in hs and then it went downhill and in the past few years it's just been fabulous. I recently purchased these items.

jcrew.com

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ That cardigan is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdwidgeon View Post
.. combined my love for preppy basics with beautiful colors
The colors really are great... just the kind of colors I enjoy... a sort of bright olive greens, very light peaches, light blues..

09-07-2009
tfs star

i know i love the colors too. The cardigan is absolutely perfect, you are right. I love it.

tfs star

chaneladdict, I absolutely love your recent purchases!

15-07-2009
tfs star

just bought these lovely items:

The dress i got for 14 dollars

I also got a really adorable grey tee with a bib like detail but it isnt online. I love this store lately so much,especially the "dressed up" tees!!

Jcrew.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
crew