How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-02-2011
Meg
inspired contemplation

I think their styling in the catalogs is great. To be honest, for my wardrobe, I find J.Crew does offer a lot of great basics, as well as price-conscious fashion forward pieces, and then crazy elaborate pieces (like $2,000 sequined pants) - but I love the variety. And the variety in sizing (ie petites, tall, etc.) I've never had a problem with quality.

For awhile I was a bit 'meh' on their styling and offerings, but I think things are starting to pick up again. I loved a lot of items in their spring lookbook. Just got these wedges - I think they are a more wearable (ie everyday) version of the wedges put out by Celine and Chloe

jcrew.com

16-02-2011
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Meg (and other J. Crew fans), there was an article at Wall Street Journal/Market Watch online that may be of interest that includes an interview with Jenna Lyons:

Giving Classics a Fresh Look at J. Crew

Enjoy.

trendsetter

I have had problems with J. Crew's Dream collection. They just pill too much too soon. My last J. Crew purchase (in Oct.) was a waffled cashmere zip sweater, which I looooove and have worn many times and no pilling yet.

Meg
inspired contemplation

hmm - thanks for the warning. I have two J. Crew sweaters (well technically one is my boyfriend's but I'm the only one who wears it) but neither are the dream collection. That's frustrating - I hate pilling

Thanks for the article Erin! Really interesting read - it seems that sales reflected my sentiment above that late last year, the styling and products were a bit boring. It's great to see Jenna speak about their concern over quality (like their recent video about their shoes being made in Italy) and also how important styling is. There are a lot of great pieces out right now - can't wait for the next update. I really wish they would either ship to the UK or open a store in London...

Last edited by Meg; 16-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.
17-02-2011
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Meg, those wedges are fantastic! And they look absolutely comfortable! Nice purchase.

There's also a video of Jenna on Wall Street Journal Online... I'm not sure if I can embed it, so here's the link:

Boss Talk: J.Crew's Jenna Lyons

Making a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
^ Meg (and other J. Crew fans), there was an article at Wall Street Journal/Market Watch online that may be of interest that includes an interview with Jenna Lyons:

Giving Classics a Fresh Look at J. Crew
Thank you for posting this . A great read.

I own 3 pairs of trousers and I'm very happy with the quality of them. But I would like to pick up a cashmere sweater or two as well the next time I'm there. They look so soft. But piling is definitely an issue.

front row

I recently just made my first online order from J.Crew and to my delight, everything fit when it came in! A rare occurence when ordering from the online version of a store one doesn't even shop at. The quality is good but I'm not sure if I would pay full price. Similar to Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, I know there are always coupons and mark downs shortly after release.

I love their "basics with a twist" style. I work in an office but hate buying typical office clothing as it is usually very boring. I like the addition of a funky color, a small ruffled edge, etc. to spice things up a little.

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

^ Glad your purchase worked out, ellesea.

I, too, do not purchase items from J. Crew at full price.

And it sounds to me that you're fitting their target market quite well - a woman who wants the "basics with the twist." That's definitely one of the things that I like about J. Crew the most.

front row

^ It's true, I am their target market! 20-something cubicle slave who style wants to look relatively stylish and age appropriate but without designer prices or too much fuss.

Funny enough, I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Whereas I used to wear a lot of vintage, do a lot of layering and generally wear a more complicated outfit, I now love the ease of J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc. pieces.

I'm becoming an "adult".

front row

Thread resurrection altert: has anyone seen the Edie purse? The leather looks lovely in images. I'm really taken by it.

Making a Mess

^ I just received the October catalog which has that purse on the cover and I am absolutely in love with it. Would love to see it in person.

I have a question about sizing. Do the minnie pants in twill run true to size?

I ask because I own the pixie pants in a size 4 but I also own trousers by them in a size 0. So it seems to me that their sizing can vary quite a bit.

ETA: Lapin here is a blog review of the Edie purse with pictures .

Last edited by Party_Vixen; 01-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.
02-10-2011
tailored

i've seen the edie in person, and it's a great bag...
i've been waffling back and forth about getting the leopard one (it's a great alternative to the celine box, and i love that it has a shoulder strap), but it's not an "everyday" bag...
it's basically large enough for wallet, phone, keys, maybe a makeup bag and one more piece...

party_vixen, i find the minnie runs true to size...

fashion icon

On the point of sizing in J.Crew, are they commonly accepted to be seen as a large cut? I usually buy size 10 Australian (equivalent to a UK 10), FR38/IT42, and US 6, but I wear a small or US 2 in their skirts, tops and shirts. This is the same with Madewell.

So when you say the pants run true to size - in terms of what I usually am in other brands, or with J.Crew?

03-10-2011
tailored

^ i would say what you wear in other brands...
i tend to be a 4-6 in most american brands (j.crew, banana republic, gap, etc), but i can vary with euro brands...

fashion insider

I went to J.Crew to pick up an Edie bag for myself but left without one, unfortunately. The store I went to only had 6 and all of them were scuffed to some degree, one also had a dent right on the top of the flap. The leather is quite soft and I can imagine it would get scuffed over time but I wasn't about to spend CDN $270+ in order to buy one that was already that way. Needless to say, I was really disappointed. It's a beautiful bag in person. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy it online, instead.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
crew