How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-09-2012
front row

Least expensive city to find Designer Labels?
Hi,

I am set to go on a shopping spree and I wondering as to which city will provide me the lowest prices for the same item.

For example, if I purchase a Rick Owens jacket in Paris will I pay more for the item than I will pay for the jacket in Stockholm or New York?

I've shopped in Tokyo and I know that i pay far more for the same items than I do in Canada.

Which global city offers the lowest priced labels?

17-09-2012
tfs star

I think it depends on the label you want to buy, they're generally cheaper in their country of origin, for example Burberry or Vivienne Westwood would be cheaper to buy in London than elsewhere.

front row

From my understanding, Barcelona offers the lowest price point for the same item when compared to all other major European cities. I'm wondering how this would compare to NYC pricing.

17-09-2012
front row

I've also come across this. You can see in the jeans category that New York is leading the way in the bargain category.

17-09-2012
V.I.P.

I think it depends on many factors. Currency exchange rates, VAT, whether you go shopping during the sales season, etc. I live in Switzerland so it pretty much doesn't matter where I go, I will always get better deals everywhere else because everything is overpriced here.
I thought Antwerp had an amazing selection of designer labels and the prices were lower in comparison to, for example, cities in Germany or the UK. Italy and Spain also seem to be on the less expensive side.

That said, I am personally a huge fan of online shopping because it allows me to compare prices and usually I will find everything I want at a much lower price point than what I would pay in store.

17-09-2012
fashion insider

Ah well jeans may be cheap in NY (which is surprising given the extra material they use in US sizing ) but a lot of European labels are more expensive, as Kate says they're often cheaper in the country of origin. I was looking at a coat recently and it was $400 cheaper in the UK than in the US.

front row

I'm wondering if Italian shoe labels such as Guidi or Marsell would then be less expensive to purchase in a city like Milan over somewhere like NYC?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, designer, expensive, labels