How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2005
wabisabi*

Men's Basics
ok, i need to build up my basics. blank slim t-shirts in basic colors, slim cut button ups, boxer briefs, etc.

what labels do you guys recommend for these? include the range of cheap to expensive - quality always in mind.

10-01-2005
V.I.P.

The Dolce & Gabbana Basic line has some very comfy and rather slim-cut tees and buttondowns. I have a couple black t-shirts, a red t-shirt (very nice color), and a white buttondown. All were cheap (especially on sale), they fit me very well, and they're lasting me pretty well so far.

Recently, I acquired some basic buttondowns at Armani Exchange. Usually most of the stuff from that place is pretty awful, but these are actually very well-made for the price (far superior to Gap, Banana Republic, Guess, etc.), and the fabric is rather unusual and cool. But the big plus for me is that they're SUPER slim cut. They fit me perfectly. I've already thrown two of them into my outfits, and they worked fine with my more expensive stuff. However, I still think it's just some type of fluke. I can't imagine them actually trying to improve their quality since it's just a chain store.

Overall, I don't think about what labels to buy for basics. I just kinda pick up random stuff when I see it on sale. I would never hunt for either of the aforementioned brands; I just kinda stumbled upon some good deals. I would suggest doing the same. Just keep an eye out. Go to www.bluefly.com. They tend to have more "basic" stuff than other websites of that sort. And remember that basics don't need to be an expensive, fancy label.

10-01-2005
backstage pass

For t-shirts I stick with American Apparel. Their t-shirts are made from extremely soft cotton and are cut very slim, so they're very fitted. And the best part is they're sweatshop free.

10-01-2005
yes

these are basics which you cant fault with.....

long sleeve cashmere V neck sweater........in black.......white.......and in cream
loose vest top........in black.......in white
tighter tank top.......in black......and white again
hoodie in grey and in black

u can mix and match them and wear them with practically any trousers and jacket and look different every time

10-01-2005
trendsetter

Helmut Lang for basic tees and button-ups.

10-01-2005
fashion icon

For basic items with a twist I recommend Y's for Men by Yohji Yamamoto. When I say twist I mean they are pretty much your standard items (e.g. fitted t-shirt in solid colors, button down shirts) but there may be a small detail here and there like an unfinished hem or perhaps a looser neck.

10-01-2005
V.I.P.

2(x)ist for the value - hands down. And I'd make my way to discount store - there is no reason to pay the premium for basics that the department stores demand.

10-01-2005
yes

i would recommend H&M and Topman for those sort of things but i dunno if they have them where you live

10-01-2005
V.I.P.

Oh yeah, Helmut Lang would be my favorite for basics, actually. Pricey, though.

10-01-2005
trendsetter

As FTB, said - Y's is quite nice for basics as well.
Rick Owens does wonderful long sleeve shirts, but they are very pricy.

10-01-2005
front row

I'd recommend A|X plain tee shirts for basic tees. They're produced in pima cotton jersey, which is a highier grade of cotton than your standard cotton jersey used for regular tees. The shirts are slim fitting and tagless too. Being a student I'm working on a budget so, I buy my slim fit shirts from H&M and Zara.

10-01-2005
V.I.P.

^Yep. Very comfy, very soft, and very slim.

10-01-2005
wabisabi*

sorry, random question but what's the sizing for A|X? they're having a online sale now with a 20% code. I'm a 38US 15.5 collar.

anyone a fan of james perse or is he just overpriced?

10-01-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
sorry, random question but what's the sizing for A|X? they're having a online sale now with a 20% code. I'm a 38US 15.5 collar.

anyone a fan of james perse or is he just overpriced?
I bought 2 James Perse long sleeved tees 3 years ago in LA...I'm still wearing them today. I think his basics are decent.

10-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
I think that means you're kinda inbetween a M and L. You'd probably want a L for t-shirts, which, on top of being slim cut, will shrink. Especially if they're pima cotton; I order the pima cotton tees a size larger than usual, and they're still a slimmer fit than the normal cotton tees in a size smaller. I hope that makes sense.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
basics, men