How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-04-2011
I am half-sick of shadows

Moda Operandi
Was wondering if anyone had ordered anything yet from Moda Operandi (Lauren Santa Domingo's invitation only trunk show site)? They have some lovely, though expensive, stuff but personally I'm not a fan of the concept of "pay now, have delivered in 4-5 months".

21-04-2011
V.I.P.

I've been a member for several weeks now but never ordered anything. Everything seems so expensive! And I really hate when I can't compare prices which you can't when no other online shop sells those collections yet But judging from things like the classic Alexander Wang bags I get the impression MO is more expensive than other shops. And I'm not a fan of paying for something so much in advance either. Fashion moves way too fast, I can never be sure I still like something after 5 months. I often find myself being bored of those pieces I loved the most in the runway once they hit the stores whereas I suddenly love something that I didn't like or notice on the runway.

24-04-2011
V.I.P.

this is the future of fashion! the girls had a genius idea to do it now as from what i hear it works really well...
it makes sense to buy as soon as you have seen it on the runway.. only negative, you gotta wait months but that is what buyers do anyway so at least this way the customer can actually make sure they get what they want...
personally i would only use it with a piece i really really know i want and dont feel like looking for once the collection actually hits the stores...

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
07-06-2011
I am half-sick of shadows

Well, I've given it a "test run" ...though I won't have anything to show for my splurge until sometime in August...

Distressed Fair Isle from Edun's Fall/Winter collection...I'm a sucker for a sweater.

Pic: modaoperandi.com

07-06-2011
V.I.P.

i joined but havent ordered anything yet. concept is good, i dont mind waiting if i know its ordered but paying in advance is going to take a huge "i want" moment, especially not knowing where their price points will hit. i hope the selection gets better.

the thing is brick and mortar stores already have trunk shows where you can pre order and pre pay as well as actually touch and try on the merchandise, so there has to a value added bonus if you ask me. i guess the idea of having it happen online and not being able to get to a store trunk show is the bonus.

we'll see.

hebden
, you chose well. very nice. i'm feeling a sweater rush for fall too.

08-06-2011
scenester

Joined and I love it but yet to order. Too expensive to wait, for me haha.

V.I.P.

Isn't the one benefit of this site that the clothes you get are the runway versions and not what is often modified for the stores?

30-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
the thing is brick and mortar stores already have trunk shows where you can pre order and pre pay as well as actually touch and try on the merchandise, so there has to a value added bonus if you ask me. i
i understand that some stores are doing away with trunk shows now...
leyla may be right---this may be the wave of the future...

31-08-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla m. View Post
this is the future of fashion! the girls had a genius idea to do it now as from what i hear it works really well...
it makes sense to buy as soon as you have seen it on the runway.. only negative, you gotta wait months but that is what buyers do anyway so at least this way the customer can actually make sure they get what they want...
personally i would only use it with a piece i really really know i want and dont feel like looking for once the collection actually hits the stores...
I agree. I think I'd only ever use it in really, really special occasions, like when there was something I knew I wanted to grab because it would get sold out when it hit the stores. And since it's more expensive, too, I would rarely use it. However, I do like the concept of ordering something straight off the runway but then it coming when it's the season for it. I think that's genius.

09-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

Fashion Startup Moda Operandi: Now Opening to the World

Moda Operandi, the closely watched online retail operation from ex-Gilt exec Aslaug Magnusdottir and Vogue contributing editor Lauren Santo Domingo, is in transition.
Once accessible only via application, the year-old site is opening its doors and bolstering its content offerings in an attempt to draw new shoppers in and keep them there.
Moda Operandi sells clothing “straight off the runway” through a series of three-day online trunk shows. Instead of waiting for items to appear in stores half a year later, shoppers are able to place pre-orders with a 50% deposit.
Designers then produce those orders and ship them to Moda Operandi as soon as they are available — about six weeks for jewelry, and four to five months for ready-to-wear — which Moda packages and sends to customers.
For many, the site’s appeal lies in the access it gives them to the more artistic or extravagant items in a designer’s collection — the ones that might not make it to their local Neiman Marcus because they lack mainstream commercial appeal. Ordering through Moda Operandi ensures shoppers will get their hands on items they saw in the shows.
The company made a series of high-profile hires at the end of 2011, funded by the $10 million Series B round it raised in June. Among them is Roopal Patel, former women’s accessories editor at Neiman Marcus; Taylor Tomasi Hill, the much-photographed former style and accessories director of Marie Claire; and Ashley Bryan, previous head of U.S. marketing for Net-a-Porter.

mashable.com

09-02-2012
V.I.P.

i still really want to order something from them but am waiting for someones experience i guess..
anyone?

i also dont (think I) mind the 50% deposit... so many other websites require full prepayment on pieces which wont come in for at least another 3 months or so and i still order from them.

now thinking about it the other downside is that it is all in US dollars and the items get shipped to the US/M.O. first before being sent to you.
so if you are based in europe you will get to pay duties as well.. hmmmm

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moda, operandi