How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2008
Fashionably Late

Old Navy getting revamped?
This is the first I am hearing of the "New Old Navy". I never go into that store, but it would be interesting to see if they are trying to go in another direction. Wonder if they will try to get celebrity designers like Steve and Barry's and Target have done?

source: styledash

You can observe the new clothing gallery here:
http://www.styledash.com/2007/12/23/...-it-wont-suck/

Quote:
Right around 1998 Old Navy hit their stride. They were right in line with the Dave Matthew's Band-loving, sensitive frat guy look that was unfortunately sweeping the nation. But times changed, people got smarter (and actually interested in fashion), and they stopped dressing like dorks season after season. Other stores that used to target a similar demographic (Gap, J Crew, etc), re-imagined themselves for a more fashion-forward customer, while Old Navy kept insisting that faux-thrift-store, "retro" t-shirts and ill-fitting pants were all the rage.

But rumor has it that maybe times have changed. The company has launched an under-the-radar email campaign to generate buzz about the "New Old Navy." Unfortunately, no one knows what that means.

Fashionista thinks they might be buying Fred Flare and turning into a lifestyle store, or that they're about to release some cutesy TV commercial with their new head designer, Todd Oldham. I have no idea what they're planning -- but I hope they're launching a new clothing line that isn't targeted at high school-aged jocks.

Just a pipe dream?

02-01-2008
the crying of humanity

I hope they don't make too drastic of a change; Old Navy is one store I can always count on for basics at a decent price. I wouldn't want to see them turn into a second Gap, selling basics at a high price. (This is a reasonable concern, actually, considering they're owned under the same retailer.)

fashion icon

well I've seen changes to some aspects of their advertising which is a good thing. I was getting a little put off by the hyper-frolicking I kept seeing in their TV ads and catalogues.

02-01-2008
trendsetter

I can't wait to see what they do. It could be good

02-01-2008
tfs star

Buying Fred Flare?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

03-01-2008
breakfast time

Old Navy's been stepping up the last few years and I'm curious to see what's going to happen.

I've also heard rumors about them buying Fred Flare... I wouldn't be happy with that decision too.

03-01-2008
windowshopping

I am glad that Old Navy is finally starting to catch up to the latest trends, but either way, I will never shop there. I have had to many pieces of clothing fall apart in the wash ... I cannot justify buying there. I have had more luck with Forever 21 than Old Navy.

03-01-2008
Fashionably Late

I wonder if they will get rid of their annual Fourth of July T-shirts? One of my close friends and her family, including parents, cousins, sister, aunts, uncles, spouses, and grandparents, get them every year and pose for a picture on the beach while they are ALL wearing them. They'd be heartbroken if they stopped selling them!

I haven't really noticed a change in Old Navy's advertising really. Although, I did think that their Christmas-time commercial for their sweaters was pretty nice and sure as heck beat their old ones with Morgan Fairchild and the Old Navy dog.

Like I said in my first post, I am really curious to see what they have up their sleeves.

Last edited by cosmogrl5; 03-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
03-01-2008
V.I.P.

I'm excited to see what happens. I know the same people behind the launch of Old Navy helped launched Tory Burch...Hmm.

03-01-2008
barack the vote

Noooo!! Fred Flare is awesome...Old Navy isn't!

03-01-2008
Fashionably Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Snob View Post
I'm excited to see what happens. I know the same people behind the launch of Old Navy helped launched Tory Burch...Hmm.
Oh wow, that is interesting. I didn't know that, and I do like Tory Burch, so it would be cool to see how those people would help Old Navy as well.

03-01-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogrl5 View Post
I wonder if they will get rid of their annual Fourth of July T-shirts? One of my close friends and her family, including parents, cousins, sister, aunts, uncles, spouses, and grandparents, get them every year and pose for a picture on the beach while they are ALL wearing them. They'd be heartbroken if they stopped selling them!
I used to buy those shirts every year! I didn't think they even made them anymore, but I guess I was wrong.

front row

I think they could use it, but if they really only specialized more in basics, more like gap (white button ups, plain classics) I'd say no.
I think they fall short almost all the way around right now.

03-01-2008
girl who fell to earth

i haven't been in old navy in a while but one of my coworkers shops there (she has two young daughters) and lately she's gotten some great deals on stuff that actually looks really nice and you would never guess that it came from old navy..

i think they've stepped up their sweaters from what i've seen her wearing, and the tv spots are certainly much better than they used to be..
featuring songs by indie artists and being a lot more subtle..
everything before shouted OLD NAVY!!!!!! but now the commercials are a bit classier and subdued..
they actually made me want to go to old navy..
so i would say that whatever they are trying to do has gotten off to a good start..

front row

i think they're making some positive changes to the store, i'm anxious to see what todd oldham does as the new head designer. as someone above said the commercials have gotten less cheesy and I was in there a few months ago and the pieces looked a little more trendy than usual.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
navy, revamped