How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
Question to fellow canadians:

When you buy something online, do you have to pay extra customs fees?!!!!! And also what happens if your item is seized?!
Ditto to what HotSpot said. With goclothing.com the first purchase I made I had to pay $11CAD for duties but the second purchase I made, I didn't have to pay extra. I just paid the canadian shipping fee that they initially add onto your purchase.

I'm not quite sure about what you mean about an item being seized though

26-01-2005
V.I.P.

i contacted fedex recently cuz i was charged ~$150 USD in customs/duties or whatever... the rep suggested icontact US customs directly (which i will tomorrow) cuz she's based in canada... she told me that whenever you ship something to canada they do charge customs/duties regardless of whether the merchandise is commercial or personal use. they may over look things every now and then though... i hate customs

26-01-2005
V.I.P.

btw i've heard terrible things about shopintuition...

26-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
i contacted fedex recently cuz i was charged ~$150 USD in customs/duties or whatever... the rep suggested icontact US customs directly (which i will tomorrow) cuz she's based in canada... she told me that whenever you ship something to canada they do charge customs/duties regardless of whether the merchandise is commercial or personal use. they may over look things every now and then though... i hate customs
that happened to me as well with something from canada...canadian customs is really strict and can be a pain...

i also had to pay customs fees when i ordered from net-a-porter which is based in london...

26-01-2005
about to fall or fly

i just moved to halifax from san francisco (don't ask...) and i'm so sick of having to pay exorbitant shipping fees...delias tried to charge me like, $40US to ship something that cost less than $20US. ebay is really the only place i've bought from where they don't dick you on shipping...is there anything based in canada that's not too bad?

26-01-2005
V.I.P.

Ok, what I meant is that when you buy something off eBay or Ioffer or sell.com, you obviously have to pay, let's say 30$ of shipping to the seller, but does that 30$ include whatever customs canada fees!? And if not, how much is it? And does that mean I am supposed to receive an extra bill FROM the seller or from Customs Canada? What I mean by seized items are bags that are replicas like say Balenciaga, does the tax applies on the price of the authentic item or of the price you've paid? And does Customs Canada even recognize what Balenciaga bags are!? And I've also heard that if it's for personnal use, you're not *taxed*.... I don't understand, I also heard there are some ''customs brokers' fees'' which you pay to ensure that your items are not opened and that they automatically pass through!!????

26-01-2005
V.I.P.

^^^softgrey, i also had to pay customs on my net order! i also recently found out that my visa+bank charges a total of 3% on all foreign transactions for currency conversion or whatever... what am i PAYING to use their calculator? i can do it myself, thank you very much.
^kim, i'm not entirely sure about how to get them through without them being opened but i'd love to anyway... te best thing for you to do is contact the seller regarding whether or not hte $30 is inclusive of customs and duties. it is the seller/shipper who indicates on the paperwork whether the recipient is going to be responsible for all duties and such. and say they are seized.. what they do is sometimes i believe they WILL tax you on the price of the authentic item because that's how much it's worth (to someone who can't tell the difference). now, how much you will get taxed all depends on how the paperwork is done. if the value is declared by the shipper to be over about $200 USD it will most likely be taxed, regardless if it's personal use or not cuz they say they're concerned about the value of the item. if you have them declare it as a gift then at least for the united states, the cutoff is around $100. in terms of where the cutoff is, that you'll have to call your canadian customs offices and enquire about that... but this is what is the basic procedure across the board. if the shipment is worth over $2000, for the US there is a formal declaration process involved...

Last edited by meowmix; 26-01-2005 at 12:42 PM.

27-01-2005
windowshopping

I just discovered www.chicshops.com last night and I really like it -- They have a directory of really, well, chic shops. And they don't accept payments for stores to be listed, so they're not just advertising in disguise.

27-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
btw i've heard terrible things about shopintuition...
Good thing I never ordered!! It just takes too long to ship. What bad things have you heard?

27-01-2005
V.I.P.

that they either flat out don't deliver the merch or don't deliver them within a reasonable amount of time... that they don't have any customer service to deal with it... usually it's probelms with receiving the merchandise and a lack of communication.

27-01-2005
fashion elite

I can vouch for that info. I ordered something as a gift from them, even called to make sure it would be here in time for ther person's birthday and it didn't come for at least a week or two later. They used to have some hard to find stuff, so it was semi-worth the angst, but now most of what they have you can get at Kitson online and other places.

27-01-2005
V.I.P.

Kitson is just as bad

27-01-2005
fashion elite

oh are they really? I didnt know, the site seems a tad more legit to me, but I'm not shocked to hear that they arent the best with service. I think that a lot of these small boutiques make the leap into internet sales because the know how profitable it can be, but in the end they are not able to run a store and an online store at the same time. I think the issue with the Intuition shipping is that they post pictures of things that they do not have in stock yet, just that they have ordered, since they want to pick up on the hype of whatever a particular celeb is wearing. I wonder if just calling Kitson and having them send you something in stock at the store might be better than online?

27-01-2005
V.I.P.

it might be better to just call kitson and order something, but make sure you're dealing with a sales rep and not anyone on their horrendous "internet dept". the girl i spoke with (cuz i just couldn't get in touch with anyone about my order who had a brain cell) was very very nice and understanding! i'm sure kitson is "legit" but their internet management is TERRIBLE. they have to credit something back to my account and supposedly it's all done by paper by ONE guy, who seems to be MIA... so it hasn't been processed yet. ..much like aloharag

28-01-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvkoshi
i also made this mall of links... http://www.iluvkoshi.com/mall.htm
awesome site. really cute + unique!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
online, shopping