How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2013
front row

Thank you for the lovely post, Jinadaze. I really need to put things into perspective. It happens really often that I spend all of my money and don't even have enough for lunch at work... I'm really embarassed admitting this, but it's the truth. I usually don't even have enough for going to dinner, let alone the cinema, or the theatre... It's terrible, and it has really affected my social life. I don't know how I could let it get to this point. I feel really down.

19-02-2013
V.I.P.

I agree with Jinadaze so much. I love beautiful (and expensive) clothes and love spending money on clothes, beauty products and books, too; and I rarely ever have regrets because it's something that I enjoy and I treasure most of my purchases from the last few years. But it also affected my social life for a while because there was not much money left for doing expensive things with my friends or even just going to restaurants or anything, but that didn't actually bother me. But now that I'm about to graduate from University and have other, more important things to focus on, shopping has really descended on my priorities list. I think once you have something you feel like is worth saving up for you won't find it quite as difficult anymore to resist the urge to buy things you don't need because there will be something that you want so much more! I have bought two sweaters in the last 6 months (because I really needed them) and absolutely nothing else and I don't have any shopping withdrawals at all. Proud of myself, I have to say!
I'm sorry you feel down, Juliette, but it looks like you have a strong will to change something about your situation and I'm sure you will be fine.

19-02-2013
V.I.P.

Must admit that I'm not as bad as what I used to be either. I remember studying at art school and heading into town, straight for H&M and buying whatever stood out. Although I did admire the items I bought, it was a case of whether I needed them or not. I didn't need anything.. having two rails and a double wardrobe at home, full.

As time went on, I just started to notice how I never spent as much and never ventured out shopping all that much. I still visit the mall, I don't totally deprive myself, but now when I purchase something it's because I'll wear it. My parents, most of the time, treat me to a few nice things, so I guess that's a bonus.

Personally speaking I think it's a question of time. I also think not being a one for the latest trends or wanting the latest designer item has helped. I'm perfectly satisfied with a sweater from H&M or Zara.

front row

Thank you for the kind words, Psylocke. I feel a bit better now, partially because I was really good on a shopping trip today and only got what I planned or REALLY needed, and partially because the things I bought lately have really been serving me well! I think I'm well on my path to recovery, I've already started to shop in a more organized way and I feel much more content.

25-02-2013
trendsetter

@Juliette: I think that admitting that you want to spend your money on other things as well is one of the first step. Previously I would rather have nice clothes and stay at home instead of going to dinner. It didn't bother me. It would now. You can do it!

26-02-2013
Power to the 99%

i always budget for entertainment, including restaurants. it's an important part of life, and i personally food, there's no way shopping or fashion is coming between me & eating when i get paid--actually, a couple days before i get paid--i pay bills online & write out my budget. there are standard items, including groceries, but entertainment is variable depending on what i have planned. then i know how much 'fun money' i have left to play with. and sometimes i need to adjust my plans so i have more ... maybe an extravagant restaurant isn't in the cards based on what else i want to do.

27-02-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
i always budget for entertainment, including restaurants. it's an important part of life, and i personally food, there's no way shopping or fashion is coming between me & eating when i get paid--actually, a couple days before i get paid--i pay bills online & write out my budget. there are standard items, including groceries, but entertainment is variable depending on what i have planned. then i know how much 'fun money' i have left to play with. and sometimes i need to adjust my plans so i have more ... maybe an extravagant restaurant isn't in the cards based on what else i want to do.
Sounds very similar to what I do. On payday I pay bills, withdraw household funds and then see what is left. What's left of my education support will pay for entertainment (dining out, going to the movies). My salery will go to my savings and if I want clothes or other stuff I will take the money from there.

17-03-2013
backstage pass

i once was quite shopaholic like 5 years ago.
but then i moved on my own and had bills and rent and not such a great earnings so i had to put things in order.
i did sell like 90% from my wardrobe and kept only what i use.
that also helped me, now i only buy what i really need.
also i have don´t like online shopping so that helps too.
i don´t even feel the need to buy anything when it comes to clothes, i wear what i have and take good care of my clothes.
of course sometimes i buy shirt or something but i rather spend the money on going to movies or something like that.
life is so much easier now that i don´t feel the need to buy buy and buy.
i think i was quite shopaholic because i did not feel good inside my head...

23-03-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i had about 8 items altered---finally!
feels like having new clothes...
yay!

also- been exchanging/trading clothes with friends...
things that we don't wear or have never worn that would look good on each other...
more new stuff...
no $$ spent...

still a shopaholic though...
i am always looking about...

30-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

ugh---
been on a binge...
which is fine---i like everything i got and it's all good...

the problem is stopping...
no sooner do i get one or two great things than i spot something else that i've been looking for...

i guess part of the issue, for me anyway, is availabilty...
because there are times when i hate everything i see...
and there are times when everything is awesome...

so i feel like i have to grab the stuff when i see it because it's usually something i have had on my mind for awhile but have just been unable to find...

ie:
-need to replace my handkerchief cotton black pirate/poet shirt which is fading from many years of wearing and hand washing...

-need to replace my linen vanessa bruno cropped pirate pants which are literally falling apart at the seams after many years of loving use and multiple repairs...

-need to replace my adidas white MEI sneakers which are actually peeling and cracking from so much wear...

-need to replace my CDG motorcycle boots which are also peeling and cracking and no longer weatherproof...

-i wear my YY cutaway blazer so so often that it makes sense for me to have something else that is similar to alternate with it, in order to prolong the life of my beloved YY blzr and also just to have more similar options...

-always looking for the perfect red dress...

stuff like that...
so when i spot one of these things...
it's almost impossible for me to resist really...

so- i think that i found something to replace the adidas MEIs...
and i got that great comme comme blzer at the archive sale...
and i got a pretty great pirate-y shirt from pas des calais...

great!
and now i may have spotted some pants!...
*when is it going to stop, i wonder?!?

28-06-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i've got a problem...

i got another pair of shoes......

they are wedge sandals- not so high and more substantial than anything i have without being clunky...
a cross between casual and dressy...
basically- they're cool...
and my first purchase from Rachel Comey...

I had decided to give up looking for wedges because i didn't like anything i saw...
and then i came across these and i just caved...
too good to pass up...

*sigh*...

must. stop. now.

totokaelo.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30_193_blk_3_1.jpg (12.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 28-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
28-06-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i might as well confess to this also---
got these- but they were practically free...
and, come on...
how often does one see chambray baby striped culottes?!?...
i ask you???

i HAD to get them...right?!?

(i do not plan on wearing them with polka dot shoes and they are much wider in real life--they are pinned back in the photo. they are also longer on me...lol...)
i showed the rear photo because culottes rarely look good from the back, but these really and truly do---
another reason i had to get them~!

anthropologie.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26534099_049_c.jpg (45.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 28-06-2013 at 01:35 PM.
29-06-2013
you set the scene

This thread defeats its purpose, it's more like the 'What Did You Buy Today?' than a discussion of overspending... good luck to any real shopaholics who come to this thread hoping to be inspired to shop less...

01-07-2013
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestmagique View Post
This thread defeats its purpose, it's more like the 'What Did You Buy Today?' than a discussion of overspending... good luck to any real shopaholics who come to this thread hoping to be inspired to shop less...
I don't know about anyone else...
but I am definitely shopping less...

just because I still shop, doesn't mean I'm not shopping less...
and i am much more thoughtful and less impulsive...

plus-
it has encouraged me to wear what i already have more and buy less...

so---
it's working for me...

if you think this is what a shopaholic looks like, i could introduce you to some people who would really scare you!

03-07-2013
front row

Actually, this thread and the encouraging words from other members really helped me a lot. softgrey Looks like you made some great purchases, don't worry - I know that my main problem was buying stuff I didn't end up wearing, so if you're wearing yours, it's not bad at all. Plus, it's hard to resist pretty things during the sales. I'm looking for the perfect red dress too, by the way!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
recovery, shopaholics, thread