How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
lynn yeager wrote a funny story for vogue last year where she talked about how she "stalks" expensive clothes she wants to buy before *maybe* purchasing them.

she would "visit" the clothes she was obsessing over multiple times in the store.

sometimes after a while the obsession would wear off a particular item.

so stop shopping, start "stalking" i guess?
I love this idea except that my biggest vice is online shopping! I'm so lazy that I can't even be bothered with the high street shops. I just browse at home on my trusty laptop .

And even worse, once I've bought something even though it wasn't quite what I wanted, I keep it anyway because it's too much hassle to return (shipping etc).

For the more expensive stuff, I'd definitely stalk but we just don't have everything in DK. Sometimes, I see something I MUST HAVE and I have to search everywhere to find it and once I get it, even though it's not ~quite~ what I wanted, again I can't be bothered to return.

I guess, the first step is to admit that even if you don't get whatever you wanted, there's always something else? Because I have this mentality that I MUST get something, when in reality, no I don't. Oh but saying these things are so much easier than doing it

11-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^oh gosh---that would kill me...
i don't understand how people don't return stuff ...
but i hear this from people more often than one would think!

hmmm...
i have a ups very near me...closer than most stores actually...
so returning online purchases is not a problem and is often easier than going back to a store to return it...
thankfully!...

another trick i use is that i will put something on hold for 24 hours...
if i still really feel like it's something i want/need the next day...then i will go back...
that saves a lot of trips on returns because i often find that i don't really want it so much after all...
and i never go back...
:p

going to return stuff at stores is dangerous, isn't it?!...
you always wind up seeing something else you like and buying that, right?...

Last edited by softgrey; 11-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.
11-08-2011
V.I.P.

i think europeans might have more qualms about making returns. maybe they feel cowed. to them, it might be awkward. for Americans its old hat.

my mom returns half the clothes and accessories she buys.
most of the e-retailers she uses offer free return shipping.

chances are that if you are lusting for an item for a while, then someone else is also. so when an item loses its luster its best to get rid of it and give someone else a chance.

girl who fell to earth

ugh, i'm definitely a HUGE victim of walking in to return something and walking out having spent more than what i got back

that's why i just have to try to avoid going into stores sometimes...

a good trick for that though is to return something when i'm really tired and lack the energy to even look through the store, or to stop in on a busy day when i don't have time to stick around

11-08-2011
fashion insider

LOL, I'm definitely also guilty of going to return something and walking out with all the money spent again!

Regarding returns - another big expenditure for me is beauty products. And unfortunately, they are not refundable while I've read that a lot of people can return in the States?!!

11-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^^you can return any beauty product purchases at sephora...
i know for sure because i bought 7 mascaras to try and then returned all but 3 of them...
i bought with the full intention of returning whatever i didn't like...
the salesgirl told me to...
cause they were all so expensive and i was stressing about which one to choose...
i wanted to try before i invested so much money...
but you can't try mascara, you know?

i was pretty concerned that they wouldn't actually take the stuff back...
but no one even blinked an eye!...
*they write it off as a loss on their taxes, so they don't care...

btw- it's not a regular habit...
i've only done it that one time when i was obsessing about finding the best mascara...
that was about a year ago...
but i found the whole idea really interesting and appealing...
made me like sephora a lot more, actually...
:p...

Last edited by softgrey; 11-08-2011 at 10:52 PM.
11-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i think europeans might have more qualms about making returns. maybe they feel cowed. to them, it might be awkward. for Americans its old hat.
maybe that's true...
i can't say...

but the people i know who never return anything are all in the US...

i can see how returning could feel awkward if the sales people are rude about it...
but i never even try stuff on anymore, i just take it home to try it and then return what doesn't work...
so i have no qualms about it...
it's not like i spent hours in the store with them waiting on me hand and foot...
i just went in, paid and got out...

i know one person....well...maybe more than one actually...
who likes to just go and try stuff on...
without ever intending to buy a thing...
i hate that...
as someone who used to be in retail...
i have a lot of compassion for the sales staff and i don't ask any of them to help me unless i am pretty serious about making a purchase...
it's only fair...imo...

anyway-
trying stuff on is the danger zone...
cause if i don't try it on...
the chances that i can resist the purchase are much greater....
but if i put it on and it looks good...
well...i'm gonna buy it no matter what it costs...
if i don't try it on i can usually convince myself that it really wasn't that great anyway...

Last edited by softgrey; 11-08-2011 at 11:00 PM.
12-08-2011
Once King

I took a few of the recommendations in this thread. Unsubscribed from a lot of mailinglist and selling off a handful of goods I do not really need in my wardrobe. Stalking is kind of impossible for me since I make 100% of my purchases online and the workers at my local post office are meanies.

14-08-2011
trendsetter

I should be in this thread. It is not that I spend that much money (ahem..) or money I do not have, but I can almost always find something that I can not live without - and I MEAN can NOT live without. Somehow, I feel that I will be miserable if a certain item, that I am lusting, does not end up in my wardrobe, and then I "panic". I've been pretty good at returning things, but sometimes I end up wearing things a couple of times before realising that I could live without them.

I've thought about limiting myself; boycotting online shopping AND looking at online shops unless I NEED something, but I'm a style blogger, style and fashion is my hobby, and I love looking a clothes, without actually buying them, and I can spend 5-6 hours at real life shops just looking without being tempted to buy something, since I have developed a sincere want for nice quality, and have become rather picky.

I do not think that I am that bad, but I would like to learn that I CAN live without that gorgeous dress. I have to buy books for my education soon, and actually I feel guilty spending money on shoes and dresses, when I should save them for books.

What helps me is:

- Writing lists of outfits which can be made of things, which are already in my closet. Sometimes I make polyvore outfits as well or play dress up.
- Alterating clothes. Shortening dresses, changing buttons on shirts/cardigans, adding elbow patches to sweaters etc. I love sowing and it feels like getting new clothes.
- Re-organising my clothes. I love a clean, simple wardrobe.
- Selling the clothes I do not use
- Shopping for/with others. I love spending my girlfriends' money
- Making lists of what I want and more importantly NEED and staying focused. I use the 4-5 piece french wardrobe strategy, which have been wuite helpful.

17-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

***i went into zara today....

and........................i didn't buy anything!!!...!!!...!!!...

18-08-2011
tailored

^^^

that's great soft!

i am a big fan of stalking...
i can't tell you how many times i've gone into the barneys here and just did a tour around, briefly stopping to oogle the celine bags...
what's funny is there are only 3 SA's for bags on the main floor, and i know they're thinking "oh it's this crazy woman who comes in here and doesn't buy anything" (even though one of them sold me my ps1)...

i also take photos of things...the iphone is perfect for this...
then i can see if i can find it cheaper or if it will work with my existing wardrobe...

i have stopped getting so many fast-fashion pieces from h&m, zara, urban outfitters, etc. in favor of getting pieces that are better made with a longer lifespan...
i've also been looking at accessories from smaller designers or individual sellers for more unique pieces...
i cannot however, unsubscribe from all my email subscriptions...i get some styling ideas from them...

trendsetter

I actually think I'm doing really good.

Yesterday on my tour around the town I avoided going in to any thrift stores, because I know that thrift shopping is my biggest problem, since there is only one of every item. Also saw a great top at H&M, and even though it was insanely cheap, I told myself that I didn't need it, which is the truth. Feels gooood.

19-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

kimair i'm the same with the email subscriptions...
i've begun deleting A LOT of them without opening but on occasion when i have time i do like to open them up and have a look

and i agree, they sometimes have some great styling that translates well for me.

*I haven't bought anything the last few times i've been to zara...
but that may be because the clothes often fit me weird
i've tried stuff on the last couple times and then left empty handed.
which was fine with me.
just goes to show that i didn't really want or need what i was trying on
and the fact that they didn't look/feel good on obviously makes them much less desirable.

19-08-2011
What fresh hell is this.?

I hate returning things, especially online. But this actually makes me rethink my purchases, and I often walk away empty handed. And if I really want it I will come back after a few days and get it. I actually think I have avoided buying quite a few things that I would never have worn this way.

Chrissy, I haven't bought anything from Zara for a long time either, often the fit is weird on me too, especially on some of the dresses. And I really think that a lot of the pieces have become overpriced.

trendsetter

@Chrissy: I often see great garnments from Zara - on others! When shopping in their stores I never find anything, and if I do, the fit is totally off. The only thing I ever bought at a Zara store is a scarf. Even though it can be a pain, if the clothing makes you love fabulous, I think trying stuff on sometimes can be a good "cure" - cause if it doesn't fit right, which things often do not do on me, because I'm curvy and small, it makes the desire to buy them go away.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
recovery, shopaholics, thread