How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

yay for all of us!...

kim- you are so funny about the bag stalking...

and i agree with you guys...
zara's fit is weirdly inconsistent and often wonky...
i just thought i might get a little cheapy thing to fill in a gap in my wardrobe...
but everything was just 'eh'...

i did kind of like this one pair of leggings though...
oh dear!..i might be in trouble...
two days later and still thinking about them...

you know what that means...~~~!!!...

20-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

^^

in my mind that usually means "i'm meant to have them" and i go back and get them...

if you're planning outfits in your head two days later then you know you'll get some use out of them

20-08-2011
front row

Do any of you listen to/read Suze Orman? She said something before that really stuck in my head to reconsider purchases, "You have to learn to love to save as much as you love you to spend."

21-08-2011
tailored

yep that to me is the sign you need them, especially if you're already planning outfits with them...

have you guys heard of the 30x30 remix?
you take 30 items in your closet and remix them into 30 outfits...
i've also seen people do it where it's not necessarily 30 items, but it's anything in your wardrobe...
so instead of shopping in a store, you're shopping your own closet...

i feel like the majority of the time when i was shopping, i would buy something that was either exactly like something i already have or very similar, and i would end up returning it (another hassle)...
even now i find things in my closet i forgot i had, and it's like i've rediscovered it and can't wait to pair it with other pieces (but not new pieces)...

front row

The quote about learning to love to save is excellent. My issue is that my income is sporadic rather than regular (freelance illustrator), so when I receive large payments I literally freeze and can't bring myself to spend. But then I also know that saving is a real hassle in my situation, because I can't predict or plan ahead too much, so there is this anxious desire to spend it whilst I have it - a torment!

I am currently pulling myself apart over two choices: a Mulberry bag or a new set of separates for autumn. I feel that the bag is more important (I currently don't possess a decent bag) and that it would be a much finer investment, yet the urge to add more separates to my wardrobe is winning at the moment. I tell myself that separates can always be purchased throughout the year, but a Mulberry bag only once in a rare blue moon for me - so perhaps the bag is the wisest idea since I can currently afford it.

Luckily, I am not feeling too spendthrift-y these days, and it takes me a long time to accumulate new additions to my wardrobe. Thanks to this attitude I am growing to love the clothes that I already have even more, and the planning for the future feels more exciting.

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 21-08-2011 at 05:37 PM.
29-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

well---
i went into a store today thinking i was going to buy something that i really shouldn't and spend more money on it that i should...

but the people in the store were so stupid and clueless that i got so annoyed and just left with nothing...

so i just want to say -thank you- to the stupid and clueless retail sales staff...
you just saved me about $300...!!!

30-08-2011
Once King

i bought a Number (N)ine tanktop. Also a store that was sold out of a pair of sale boots I wanted, had got a return. Didn't purchase them yet.

otherwise I have been doing pretty good.

30-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
yep that to me is the sign you need them, especially if you're already planning outfits with them...

have you guys heard of the 30x30 remix?
you take 30 items in your closet and remix them into 30 outfits...
i've also seen people do it where it's not necessarily 30 items, but it's anything in your wardrobe...
so instead of shopping in a store, you're shopping your own closet...
as much as i love this idea its way too much work...but on the same par i do tend to "flush" out each season when i change my closet over, and that lends itself to revisiting what i forgot i had.

i do love susie orman's advice, but i have to say youth and retirement are galaxies away when this concept come into practice these days.

30-08-2011
V.I.P.

I have two big problems.

1. I always plan weeks in advance what kind of "expensive item" I'm going to purchase next. I hate it. I already know that my money for October will turn into a Dries van Noten bag and some Burberry scarf. I don't include basic stuff from Zara, COS etc in my "calculations". I really want to stop buying expensive stuff, I'm a 19yo student, I actually can't afford a bag for 1000Ä.

2. I often do not ever wear the stuff I buy...

30-08-2011
Once King

^similar to me because I too plan out my purchases months in advance. But i have to wear what I buy unless it simply does not fit or is some type of "fashion party" item.

31-08-2011
V.I.P.

I'm curious to know why you people want to recover? I'm quite addicted to online shopping but it's too much fun for me to even consider slowing down

I'm actually what you would call a smart shopper, though. I browse through all my favorite online shops when the new season stuff comes in, I receive e-mail on any new arrivals and - no kidding - I keep a handwritten list (that's usually about 6 pages long, haha) of all the things I want to get at the end of the season when the sales are on. I keep looking up the things on my list to see if I still desire it enough or else I'll cross it off. By the end of the season I try to get the things that I still crave and that did go on sale. (I think I might be an OCD shopahlic )
I rarely make any impulse purchases unless I go to outlets where 'stalking' an item usually isn't really an option.
But in spite of this sounding rather sensible I'm still only a student with a limited budget that buys only designer stuff, which still seems crazy to most people. Of course I make sure I don't go into debt but I do have to make a hell lot of sacrifices to be able to buy the things I want, but I'm completely fine by that.

Did being a shopaholic become a serious problem for any of you or do you just think it's not a good thing to spend so much time on money on something as unimportant as clothes and shoes?

31-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^^keep doing what you are doing and talk to me in 15 years or so...
when you have so many clothes that you can't even remember everything that's in your closet...

01-09-2011
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I'm actually what you would call a smart shopper, though. I browse through all my favorite online shops when the new season stuff comes in, I receive e-mail on any new arrivals and - no kidding - I keep a handwritten list (that's usually about 6 pages long, haha) of all the things I want to get at the end of the season when the sales are on. I keep looking up the things on my list to see if I still desire it enough or else I'll cross it off. By the end of the season I try to get the things that I still crave and that did go on sale. (I think I might be an OCD shopahlic )
i actually used to do this before the advent of the interwebs...
i always walk around with a notebook and i would add in a list of everything i wanted to get...i would do this every month, then carry over anything i didn't get to the next month...
sometimes i would realize i didn't need something on the list, and i would drop it, or i would find it in end-of-season sales...

i don't think there's anything wrong with being a "smart" shopper, but there is a different between "smart" and "compulsive"
i found myself buying things i didn't need or something trendy that didn't fit in with my wardrobe...
i've tried to eliminate those purchases, and being able to take photos of things definitely helps...

V.I.P.

^Glad I'm not the only one who's so fussy when it comes to compiling wishlists
Another good thing about online shopping is that when I'd have something on my list for months and then I see it irl and it looks nothing like I'd expected it to look like or I try it on and it look awful on me. It's so relieving to be able to cross off some more things off the list

I've never been one to buy lots of "cheap" things at H&M or Zara, generally don't buy trendy stuff so I'm glad about that. I've bought a few H&M basics in the past that I ended up wearing only once or twice because they shrunk so much or the color faded too much that I didn't bother doing that again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
^^^keep doing what you are doing and talk to me in 15 years or so...
when you have so many clothes that you can't even remember everything that's in your closet...

...which is why this probably won't happen to me I spend a lot of money on clothes but I never end up having much clothes because I buy few but expensive pieces, my closet is in fact pretty empty But I can see what you mean, opening your closet every morning and looking at tons of things you can't help but ask yourself why they're even there and being quite certain that you don't need even half of them, that's probably sort of irksome.

The reason why I asked is because I feel like so many people condemn people who cite fashion and going shopping as one of their hobbies and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Like when less successful people complain about rich daughters and wives who do nothing but go shopping every day. I don't see why people automatically assume they must have some sort of a complex or disorder, if going shopping is something you enjoy and you don't purchase things you can't afford, why not?
I know I will spend a majority of my paycheck on shoes and clothes once I'm working full time and have more money and I'm not sure I'll feel all that guilty about it

But softgrey is probably right, I'll look at it differently in a few years' time

01-09-2011
In Bloom

I hope I won't be buying too much stuff when I go on full time. Because I'll be able to buy A LOT. And really...I like browsing more than shopping. I just don't see the point in owning a massive amount of stuff I guess.

we were in love

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
recovery, shopaholics, thread