How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2011
backstage pass

Know the difference between what you want and what you need. And don't spend money you don't have.

Those are the basics for me, especially the second one.

06-10-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

yeah- instead of trying to keep track of what i am buying...
i am just not buying anything...
makes the accounting so much easier!...
:p

30-11-2011

i've been a very good girl......

what about you guys?!?!...

30-11-2011
backstage pass

I don't have the money to misbehave at the moment.
That makes it a whole lot easier

30-11-2011
girl who fell to earth

oh my god... i've been TERRIBLE

really tough time of year to be good. I have two sisters and one just had a birthday the day after thanksgiving and the other has a birthday right after christmas, so I feel like i've been looking for gifts for the past month or so...

between the birthdays and buying christmas gifts for them and the rest of my family i feel like i've been overdoing it buying things for myself

at the same time though, i've been really excited about the purchases i've made and everything i've gotten has been on sale so i don't feel too terrible

and i've been good about shopping in my closet, making use of what i've got. wearing different things etc.

BUT, i'm just going to not have to dwell on my credit card bills being relatively high in the next month or so. i have the money to pay everything off, i just hate to not see the numbers in my savings account not go up.

01-12-2011
Once King

I tried to fall off the wagon when The Corner had its CyberMonday sale but I was at work when the boots I wanted sold out.

01-12-2011
V.I.P.

Today the DHL delivery guy told me had had started to miss me because he hadn't seen me in so long, I take that as a sign that I've been good, lol. I've been ordering lots of cosmetics, hair dye and lingerie this season but haven't got any actual clothes and shoes. I'm saving up and will go on a major spending spree when I'm in London after Christmas

01-12-2011

you know what's kind of annoying though?
watching someone you know buy something that you said you wanted to get but didn't because you are being good...
it's kind of a cruel and unusual thing for a so-called friend to do, isn't it?...

all i can say i they better not wear any of that stuff around me or even talk to me about it or they are going to get a piece of my mind...
'nuff said...

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

talk to them. its best for the friendship and may have been unintentional to have pulled the rug from under you.

02-12-2011
you set the scene

so she/he shouldn't get what you wanted because you can't have it? as long as they didn't do it just to mess with you I don't see what the problem is.

anyway on topic, I have a definite shopaholic tendency but usually I'm too practical to spend any big money... most of my 'luxuries' are really quite cheap though

02-12-2011
V.I.P.

Around 2007-2008 I was buying everything, I had an okay job, zero debts, zero bills to pay.. then I moved to another country where I didn't have access to any of the 'treats' I had gotten so used to, I realised I'd buy if I was happy, buy if I was sad, buy if I was bored, buy in my free time, I was ALWAYS buying stuff, from super cheap books, exotic veggies, fancy takeout to vintage jewelry, it wasn't so much about the price or even about spending money, I just wanted to see new things and the only way for that was acquiring them of course, and in order to acquire something you have to spend some money on it right? , I've never been the type of person that gets addicted to shoes or bags and I never even thought I was too attached to buying stuff.

Anyway, not only I became very broke all of a sudden but the fee for international transactions was crazy so it was cold turkey for me, and it felt harsher because at that time I was very lonely and miserable and I had nothing to 'treat' myself with, nothing that I considered a treat that is!, I was very down for a while (not as a shopaholic that can't get that pair of shoes but as someone that couldn't even shop ), then slowly and quite unconsciously built an entire routine around a 1 dollar coffee in my nearby café, I had been there before but channeling my need to a new "tradition", as ridiculous as it sounds, was a relief, homesickness didn't go away but at least its major side-effect did, I started exploring new cafés, bakeries and then, I got bored, but by that time the impulse of buying things had already disappeared, and it's been some years and even though I still drool over certain items, for some reason, I don't really feel like getting them. I've bought like 4 pairs of shoes this year, and it feels great, I'm actually more pleased with my closet than I was around the time I wanted to have everything in it, you definitely think less about trends or exploration, and just want something that speaks to you and can stay with you for a long time.. for me it definitely was not about being eco-friendly or less capitalist , I hated it when I couldn't buy the things I wanted and it certainly took a real exile for that to happen but I feel a lot 'lighter' now. [*Lifetime music*]

V.I.P.

I just love when sale starts and I don´t love anything, it´s so much easier to not spend
I recently stopped buying so much clothes and shoes cause I´m running out of space so my new mantra is the same as Fewormany "Know the difference between what you want and what you need." Do I want 5 different black flats? yes. Do I need them? nope, move on...

10-01-2012

not buying new clothing is definitely helping me to wear more of my best stuff more often...

i only bought one thing this season...which i love love love...
and it's all good...
:p

Last edited by softgrey; 10-01-2012 at 01:47 PM.
10-01-2012
girl who fell to earth

i went a bit crazy over the holidays when it came to spending, but i feel like i'm back on track

i know it hasn't been too long into the new year, but i haven't bought anything yet (or been tempted to buy anything :p)
BUT... I'm going to paris next week, for a week, with my boss...
i don't know if i'll be able to hold out
we'll see what happens...

I'm definitely determined to shop my closet more though and some of the new things i've bought are helping me wear some of my older purchases.
i have an incredible proenza schouler skirt that i pulled out and wore today because i finally have a pair of shoes (a great pair of brown perforated DVF pumps with a rounded toe, slightly chunky heel and small hidden platform) that work really well with it.
love when that happens

i'm determined to pull out more oldies but goodies, but am also doubly determined to only buy things that i LOVE
i will with any luck have a mortgage payment to budget for in the near future so i want to be really responsible with my spending.

16-01-2012

i fell off the wagon slightly this weekend...
but i was still very specific and very much under control...
made a select few, very considered purchases...

good quality and good design for good prices...
it's all good...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
recovery, shopaholics, thread