How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

Recovery : the Former Shopaholics Thread
how to beat the addiction...
what steps to take in order to stop the madness...

one thing i have recently done is to unsubcribe to all the daily emails from all the various shopping sites i frequent...

:p...

what about you?!?!...

Last edited by softgrey; 25-07-2011 at 09:41 PM.

26-07-2011
backstage pass

softgrey - I LOVE the idea of this thread, and the timing is perfect, as I've recently decided that I have to slow down my shopping. I added up how much I spent the past few months, and it depresses me what else I could have done with that money (paint my house? college fund for the kid??). My weakness is definitely online shopping, and I did the same thing as you, I unsubscribed myself from a bunch of mailing lists. You know, getting rid of those coupon codes that only make you buy things for 20% final sale. I also deleted favorites, cleared my history, etc, trying to deter myself from idle online window shopping. I was thinking that I should avoid all fashion related sites in general, but there has to be more to fashion than consumption for the non-fashion insider, right?

It's been surprisingly hard to kick the idle browsing. I seriously think there are symptoms of addiction related to all the online shopping and obsessing over items. I basically need to rewire my relationship with clothes and shopping, I think. I started journaling to see if I could identify what might be triggering my shopaholic tendencies, especially when I feel the urge to buy something. Definitely happens most often during my downtime in the evenings. But the best thing is to just get offline and do something else that I enjoy, like read a book.

I hope this thread gets some activity!

26-07-2011
front row

Argh, I hear you guys completely. My new year's resolution was actually to cut down my shopping to only once every couple of months, and I've managed pretty well when it comes to high street shopping but not so much on the online world I've basically stopped buying clothes, but now I've become a beauty product addict, spending my moneys on organic shampoo and grapefruit lipstick instead of scalloped shorts of whatever it is bloggers are wearing

It really is all about consumption, though! And it's a hard habit to kick because you always manage to find something useless to spend your money on. And it feels good! But I always carry this associated guilt with the act of mindlessly shopping because I'm aware that most of my friends and family cannot afford to do the same thing, and I take it for granted that I'll always have the money to do so when maybe someday I'll regret buying that 20euro feathered scarf that I didn't need when I don't have enough to buy my own food or something :p

Anyway, great idea for a thread! Support groups - yay!

In Bloom

I've started cooking instead. Whenever I feel like buying something I bake a cake

I'm a huge beauty junkie as well, that habit is so hard to kick because there are SO many awesome beauty blogs that I read pretty much daily.

Since my dog passed away last week (I think it was) I've been buying so much stuff, I've just been so sad. But I knew that would happen, and I don't really mind.

we were in love

26-07-2011
V.I.P.

ida, i am sorry to hear about your loss. if shopping brings some joy right now, perhaps its not the right time to stop shopping. i do the same thing, just make sure you can return it if need be.

or...go to the pet rescue sites and shop for a dog.

or...get away from the computer. go outside, garden, ride a horse ;-). i guess if you are in nyc though, you are still surrounded by temptation, so that only works if you live in shopping siberia. but the first step it seems to me would be to alter the pattern and replace it with something else.

remember when layaway was an option. that was great, you could pay a little bit on it as often as possible and eventually it was yours.

Last edited by luckyme; 26-07-2011 at 01:44 PM.
26-07-2011
Blood On The Leaves

I made a list of clothes I need to buy for this fall/winter. I went through my wardrobe and put on the list things I REALY REALLY need and decided to only buy clothes I have on that list.
I still visit online shops and look at clothes but I don't save or buy anything if it's not on my list. I also try to find some discount codes (that way I save some more money).
2 weeks ago when summer sales started, I went shopping for some clothes. But I only bought sweaters, shoes and stuff for fall and winter. No summer clothes.
So far having a list and stick to it works for me.

28-07-2011
tfs star

i also have started unsubscribing to email lists.

couldn't part with the Outnet though, hmmm...

it just started to be so much spam, so much distraction.

online shopping is so effing addictive, scouring shopstyle, checking for things on ebay, argh...

28-07-2011
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
ida, i am sorry to hear about your loss. if shopping brings some joy right now, perhaps its not the right time to stop shopping. i do the same thing, just make sure you can return it if need be.

or...go to the pet rescue sites and shop for a dog.

or...get away from the computer. go outside, garden, ride a horse ;-). i guess if you are in nyc though, you are still surrounded by temptation, so that only works if you live in shopping siberia. but the first step it seems to me would be to alter the pattern and replace it with something else.

remember when layaway was an option. that was great, you could pay a little bit on it as often as possible and eventually it was yours.
Thanks I must admit that I'm quite happy with the things I've purchased, and I've been taking extra shifts so that I don't have to return anything.

I wish I could have a dog in my apartment, unfortunately my landlord doesn't allow it. But my parents are getting a new dog that I'm very much looking forward to meet when she arrives this autumn

I've been riding my bike a lot lately, usually around the lakes (a 19 km ride), that does make me happy. There's nothing like apple trees and singing birds to lift your spirits

we were in love

31-07-2011
front row

I have come to an abrupt halt recently, too. I wasn't particularly addicted to shopping, but I have suffered a series of endless purchase disappointments recently and somehow lost faith. This thread is such a marvelous idea, and a perfect antidote.
Online shopping is so horribly easy!
One small solution would also be to remove the stores from your bookmark folder - perhaps the time taken to google the store might allow a little more thought for how strong the urge is....

V.I.P.

lynn yeager wrote a funny story for vogue last year where she talked about how she "stalks" expensive clothes she wants to buy before *maybe* purchasing them.

she would "visit" the clothes she was obsessing over multiple times in the store.

sometimes after a while the obsession would wear off a particular item.

so stop shopping, start "stalking" i guess?

Last edited by lucy92; 02-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.
03-08-2011
backstage pass

^
Do you possibly have a link or scan of that article, it sounds really interesting!

04-08-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
lynn yeager wrote a funny story for vogue last year where she talked about how she "stalks" expensive clothes she wants to buy before *maybe* purchasing them.

she would "visit" the clothes she was obsessing over multiple times in the store.

sometimes after a while the obsession would wear off a particular item.

so stop shopping, start "stalking" i guess?
Ahh, that's a really good idea. I've been trying to do that, set my sight on something I really like and take a few days to reflect on whether I truly need/want it! Sometimes I plain forget about it, which is great Otherwise I "visit" the garment to see if it suits me, and then take a few more days to think about it. Usually the item is sold out or discontinued before I actually get around to buying it, and I've survived anyway so in the end I've learned that I can do without any new stuff. Let's see if it lasts when I start making money next month

girl who fell to earth

^^i think the whole "stalking" thing is great...

i'm usually good at resisting the temptation to buy something online because even though i don't shop online often i've been disappointed enough times (and annoyed with the process of returning) that i tend to just buy stuff in person for the most part..

BUT for more expensive items especially i definitely try to do the stalking thing... and for items i don't necessarily NEED

i recently did this with a pair of steven for steve madden leopard print loafers (not that they were super expensive)
but i looked at them once in the store and walked away without trying on, then tried them on the next time i was there and left them behind, then i went back a third time to look at them again and ended up purchasing them on the last day of nordstrom's anniversary sale... so at least i got them $40 off...

there have definitely been other items that i've just moved past and gotten...
and other times things end up getting reduced in price

i still definitely have a shopping problem though...
i just try not to step foot in a store if i can avoid it for the most part because it's tough for me to resist the temptation when something looks good on

09-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

stalking works...
i stalked a comme des garcons trench coat this spring...
took three trips to the store before i actually broke down and got it...
but i am super pleased with the purchase...
:p

and for awhile i was happy with just that...

but then there were the sales...

09-08-2011
V.I.P.

i think one step to alleviate this problem is to take everything out of your closet or storage space and re-evaluate everything (ie mend, tailor, donate, sell or dry clean items)

i am in the process or "tailoring" now. i just dumped off 6 things to be tailored to my size.

when i have more time, i am going to get rid of more stuff. a lot of my items are worth more to other folks than to me.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
recovery, shopaholics, thread