How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2004
V.I.P.

alright, with all of the exciting spring/summer items coming out now, do you alll have any tips on how you talk yourself out of purchases or restrain yourself..?

27-02-2004
seagreen serenades

I say that for every unnecessary item I buy, I must go for one day without chocolate. Opportunity cost, it's a shocking idea.

27-02-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Budget and stick to it.

Say you're going to spend X amount only. Pick only the things you love the best out of what is available. Weigh the useability of anything you buy. Sure that cute, fluffy red sweater is great in the Betsy Johnson shop, but will you be able to wear it with anything besides that one pair of black trousers? If you don't think you'll be able to integrate it with your existing wardrobe, then you might want to edit it out of your budgeted clothing.

V.I.P.

gaaah it's so hard! I need a little 'shopping patch' or something

27-02-2004
backstage pass

Agree with As You Like It, budgeting and sticking with it is key.
i usually target specific stores for various items. Trying to fiure out what i can buy at
discount designer stores like Century 21 or Loehman's or at a sample sale. Some trendy items can be bought at chain stores like Zara and H& M. I tend to invest more into accessories and more basic items, like pants, coats & jackets, jeans.
Also, if you want a tip on how to to restrain yourself from overspending, this is what someone suggested to me once. Whne you walk into a store, imagine that all your urges & cravings are not really YOURS, they're sort of SOMEONE ELSE'S. I know it sounds insane, but it works! It's like you're looking at your own wishes from the side, and kind of pushing them away. Picture a "plate" with all your desires to buy to make it easier.

27-02-2004
Procrastinator.

Pretend you're Catholic (if you're not) and say you've given up shopping for Lent. That way other people won't bug you to go shopping with them.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
27-02-2004
V.I.P.

Put things on hold for 24 hours and THINK about it!!!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady@Feb 27th, 2004 - 9:01 pm
Put things on hold for 24 hours and THINK about it!!!
good idea!

28-02-2004
front row

While these are all great tips and everything, nothing I try works! I go into a store, buy whatever I want (not what I need), and then leave feeling sooo happy. But when I get home, I look at most of the stuff I bought and I'm like, "wtf?"! I still have yet to buy solid color tank tops and regular shirts because I never allow myself to buy what I need, only what I want. I know it sounds ridiculous, and that someone who shops as much as I do should have the basic solid color shirts, but I don't! Wow, I need help. Is there Shopaholics Anonymous or something equivalent?

28-02-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Actually, if you're really concerned about your "shopaholic" ways, you might want to visit with a counsellor. Some people are actually addicted to shopping, just like some people are addicted to gambling or overwork, or other non-drug/alcohol pursuits.

backstage pass

yes, there is actually Shopaholics Anonymous or soemthing like that. It seems that the cause of any addiction comes from deeper underlaying issues.

29-02-2004
front row

I never go shopping randomly. All my shopping is planned out, so I have all day, and can save up for the event. And it's split into TWO days.

The first day I don't bring ANY money with. I try on a million things, mix and match outfits, make sure everything fits right, ect. Then I go home and THINK ABOUT IT. And look through my wardrobe to make sure everything I want to buy would have something to go with. What's the point of buying it if you don't have an outfit to wear it with?

Then the next day I go buy everything. In and out quick so I don't get sidetracked by other clothes that I DON'T.

And each season, I write out a NEED list and a WANT list. I buy everything off the need list before first, so there are no holes in my wardrobe. Like MurakamiPrincess said she has no solid colored shirts, even though she shops alot. Before I had no white button ups and no trench coat. But I made them my priorities this time, and then went shopping for the fun stuff after. And when you buy the fun stuff last, you don't have as much money (because you should be sticking to a budget!) , so your sure to buy what you really really want.

29-02-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by lovespell@Feb 29th, 2004 - 1:54 am
I never go shopping randomly. All my shopping is planned out, so I have all day, and can save up for the event. And it's split into TWO days.

The first day I don't bring ANY money with. I try on a million things, mix and match outfits, make sure everything fits right, ect. Then I go home and THINK ABOUT IT. And look through my wardrobe to make sure everything I want to buy would have something to go with. What's the point of buying it if you don't have an outfit to wear it with?

Then the next day I go buy everything. In and out quick so I don't get sidetracked by other clothes that I DON'T.

And each season, I write out a NEED list and a WANT list. I buy everything off the need list before first, so there are no holes in my wardrobe. Like MurakamiPrincess said she has no solid colored shirts, even though she shops alot. Before I had no white button ups and no trench coat. But I made them my priorities this time, and then went shopping for the fun stuff after. And when you buy the fun stuff last, you don't have as much money (because you should be sticking to a budget!) , so your sure to buy what you really really want.
good for you!

29-02-2004
front row

i don't have a credit card.. works very well for me

29-02-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by lovespell@Feb 29th, 2004 - 1:54 am

You are one smart cookie! Good for you!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
remedy, shopaholics