How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2008
Margiela's Muse

Rodarte Available Online!
Here:
http://www.lindestore.com/eng/design...arte/clothing/

23-10-2008
fashion insider

^thx for posting!!

23-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

Great....if only I could afford their stuff I would be all set

25-10-2008
vertebrae by vertebrae

^ Yeah, really I'd love to get my paws on some of the cardis and sweaters.

26-10-2008
Stitch:the Hand

^ ditto. those handknitted pieces are stunning but i dunno if i could justify 2k for one though...no matter the composition. i'd have to shop strictly salvation army for a year and forego eating. honestly,they really need to revise their price range. as much as i admire them,their price range is terribly absurd. my only complaint about them. how do they expect to have any real retail success....and i mean people other than fashion editors at vogue,socialites or celebs? it just seems so silly as down to earth as they are to have such hefty tags.

26-10-2008
V.I.P.

I think Browns also has (or at least had) some pieces online

26-10-2008
vertebrae by vertebrae

I tried some of the F/W stuff on at Jeffreys, they're really beautiful. but I agree, Scott... the prices are pretty ridiculous and I don't know... while the work is beautiful indeed and should be expensive - it shouldn't be absurd, which the prices are.

I also wonder who are they aiming at with these costs? I mean their stuff is even more expensive than other long time great designers, who's work is equally if not more amazing.

26-10-2008
Margiela's Muse

Isn't Chanel comparatively priced?

26-10-2008

exactly,inaya! hopefully,as seasons progress further,they will learn that this direction isn't working for them ultimately because if they indeed really do want real people with real personalities to wear their clothes(as they said in i-D)they need to be slightly more accessible. not cheap nor even so affordable you can acquire pieces like cards(they should remain uber special,mind you)....just at a level where you and i and the rest of society on a shopping budget could invest on something relatively attainable. i mean,they are pret-a-porter afterall....and whilst immaculately craft-oriented,it should be more,dare i say,reasonable. hey even boudicca in all their exquisite craftsmanship don't have such a lofty price range.

Last edited by Scott; 26-10-2008 at 07:24 PM.
26-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

It's tough. This has been one of my biggest complaints about them because their whole "story" is that they are these quirky, intellectual girls from California who just love clothes and ideas and making these crazy creations and I would think (hope!) that the person they would want to wear their clothing is girls like them, girls who want to have fun, are quirky, intelligent, love fashion, etc. but instead it's just used for editorials, worn by Vogue-ettes, to events, and by socialites. I guess I also think as women who do not fit the traditional standards of beauty (though I still obviously think they are cool pretty women), that they would want to embrace people like them. Maybe this is absurd or silly, I don't know. So when this clothing is completely inaccessible to those people, and is generally only worn by pretty waif-like socialites, for me, it just dullens the potential of the collection.

That said, I don't think their price points are hurting their earning potential. I'm not sure how their entire set up works, but I'm sure it's a very tiny operation doing a lot of handiwork themselves, so their costs (compared to Givenchy for example) are going to lower than a lot of other people. And I mean, their stuff does sell. It's not sitting on racks, collecting dust. So with the financial backing they receive, I'm sure they are doing okay for the moment though with this recession, things may change....

26-10-2008
Margiela's Muse

I agree with you, Meg, on who their target demographic *should* be. Artsy, downtown types. Their whole punk rock Miss Havisham aesthetic should severely limit their appeal, but for some reason, no brand can maintain cult status these days. Even the most vacuous want to wear the fringe labels. The irony is tragic.
Socialites destroy a label's countercultural cachet. And yet fashion has always had an incestuous relationship with this group of females, since are too lucrative and visible a micro-market to ignore.

I was under the impression that you couldn't even buy Rodarte until very recently. I saw a few dresses in Barney's a year ago, but they seemed to mainly be for show.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how a brand like Rodarte will survive in today's climate.
If you don't get a backer, you don't last. But they are editorial gold at the moment, at least.

Last edited by shirleebee; 26-10-2008 at 10:20 PM.
27-10-2008
shake off your flesh

It's exciting to see some pieces online! I'm always temped to buy something from them, but their prices are exorbitant. I can't justify paying almost $3000 for a knitted dress, even if it is handmade.

27-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

I know. I really really want to see if I can get my grandma to make a similar cardigan or a pair of tights. I think she has the ability to....it's just that she's evil, and whether or not she'd be willing to......

27-10-2008

^ you kill me with that one...i can relate.

i wish i could knit myself otherwise i'd make my own. but i don't think i have the patience for knitting. a needle and thread on a foundation is different,i think. but i always loved those loose ragamuffin-style knits. that's why their pieces are so attractive to me.

29-10-2008
trendsetter

I adore their sutff.
But a) I'm not female and b) I could'nt afford anyway

But def. recommendable for rich women

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
online, rodarte