How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-10-2005
rising star

Salt in the wash?
I'm not sure whether this is the right thread to post this, but has anyone ever heard (or actually do) of adding half a cup of salt to the washing machine when cleaning dark denims?

I was told that it helps retain the color.

03-10-2005
front row

You can do this the first time you wash a dark item...it is supposed to help keep the dye from bleeding.

I've also heard of pre-soaking clothes in cold water and/or vinegar before washing the first time, to achieve the same effect.

As far as I know, you shouldn't need to do this after the first wash, since by then the dye should have "set".

You can also use salt to distress your jeans, but for that you use coarse rock salt, and a lot more of it (3 or 4 cups).

04-10-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron
You can do this the first time you wash a dark item...it is supposed to help keep the dye from bleeding.

I've also heard of pre-soaking clothes in cold water and/or vinegar before washing the first time, to achieve the same effect.

As far as I know, you shouldn't need to do this after the first wash, since by then the dye should have "set".

You can also use salt to distress your jeans, but for that you use coarse rock salt, and a lot more of it (3 or 4 cups).
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll consider doing it with my next pair...I'm curious as to whether it will have any adverse affects on the washer....hmm, newayz thanks again.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
salt, wash