How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2004
scenester

hi all shoppers, after reading all they mess about the bags ,the Hilton girls had i wanted to voice one of my pet peeves, it is people that shop in the Salvation Army type stores that can well afford retail, unless if they find a great vintage piece they can also leave a nice donation??? what do you think

23-01-2004
seagreen serenades

Not sure what I think about those with the dosh (I wouldn't know) being 'cheap'. I suppose it all depends on what you're buying and why you're buying it, but of course NANA, if you have a 'find' you should have a heart : $$$$

23-01-2004
Procrastinator.

I can afford retail but I do quite a bit of clothes/accessories shopping at the thrift store, because I have a passion for collecting vintage clothing, costume jewelry, clutches, etc. I don't shop at chain thrifts like Goodwill or Salvation Army (I've just never been to one) but at hospital-affiliated shops in and around my hometown. Thus, every time I purchase something there, I am donating to the hospital (all clothes these places sell are donations and the stores are staffed by volunteers, so all money goes right to the hospital). Of course, when I am shopping in this store, many of my fellow shoppers appear to be shopping there because they cannot afford much else. But are these shoppers buying the same things as me? No. I buy crazy costume jewelry, vintage mini-dresses, gorgeously impractical things.

There are more than enough secondhand goods to go around in this world, so that both the people who need to buy in thrift stores and people who want to buy in thrift stores can both do so.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
01-02-2004
windowshopping

I shop thrift stores quite a bit. I try and think that I'm a smart shopper that is also donating to a worthy cause. I've spent $100 at one store before all on clothes! Why not get more for my dollar?

31-07-2005
windowshopping

well said vegas and HBoogie. i shop in a lot of thrift stores

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
army, salvation