How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-05-2004
backstage pass

I came across the name "Sanger-Harris" recently, and so I decided to do a little research on the internet about this department store. However, I was very surprised that there is very little information available, and what records remain (on the internet at least) only tell of the company's brief history and it's fate, but nothing about the department store itself.

My question is, what was Sanger-Harris like as a department store? In other words, what goods/brands did they sell? Would there be a modern-day equivalent?

Thank you in advance, any information would be greatly appreciated

07-06-2004
windowshopping

Sanger-Harris at one time was part of the Federated Stores along with Foley's its Houston cousin. It was a merger of Sanger Bros and A Harris in the late 50's or early 60's. According to an advertisement in a 1986 issue of "Texas Monthly" magazine the downtown store that was constructed shortly after the merger of the two entities was the first new downtown building for any department store in over 25 years. I don't remember if it was Federated or May (Foley's current parent) that consolidated the Sanger-Harris stores into the Foley's name. I want to say this took place in the mid to late 80's and a huge advertising push was made for the transition. Sanger's was located in Dallas-Ft. Worth and if you were a fan of the tv show "Dallas" it was "The Store" where Pamela Barnes-Ewing worked. The Downtown Dallas store was often a backdrop for Pam and Bobby. The downtown store underwent a million dollar plus renovation just prior to being moth-balled. I honestly can't tell you what exact brands were carried there but do remember it was back when Polo Ralph Lauren was an exclusive label and was not available. In Men's they carried Colours by Alexander Julian, Izod and Calvin Klein. I believe the cosmetics area carried Estee Lauder and Clinique, this at time when those lines were limited by exclustivity arrangements. Hope this provides you some information. One last thing I do remember is that when the push was made to change the name from S-H to Foley's, loyal, disgruntled customers of S-H cut up the newly issued Foley's charge cards and mailed them back.

07-06-2004
backstage pass

I can't thank you enough! I thought no one had even heard of it...

I guess under those circumstances (the constant change in ownership), the store probably wouldn't have a modern day equivalent, since it was always in transformation. But from what you say it does seem that they had a pretty loyal clientele! (How very sweet; if I were the manager I would definitely be extremely touched by the support).

How nice it would be to be able to go back in time, to be able to walk around (and shop) in department stores back in the days! They must have been so different. Meanwhile, thank you once again for the information

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
department, sangerharris, store