How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-02-2004
etre soi-meme

i know its a bit strange, no matter how much i love fashion (and the fact that i've been working in fashion for years) i feel very non-driven towards shopping, everything seems dull and not good enough to buy... i hate trying on things (ending up dissapointed by fit or quality even in lux brands) , shoe& bags shopping is my total nightmare since i have problem finding things I like .

even though i enjoy browsing the chic fashion shop windows -and i need to browse regularly for business reasons- its a different story when i need to buy something.. i almost panic, i cant do casual shopping like so many friends do.

sole exception, is vintage clothing which i buy in massive amounts

i know its not usual, hence the question.. am i the only one here having shop-a-phobia?

16-02-2004
V.I.P.

I get like that when I'm shopping for something I really don't want. Like looking for a boring blouse with my mum...

16-02-2004
V.I.P.

i hate trying things on and i almost never do

yes i hate shopping as such but the fact of having the items finally for myself does satisfy me in some sorts

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
16-02-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Man, you're not the only one at all! I hate shopping with the white-hot intensity of 10,000 burning suns.

I will do various and desperate things to avoid having to go shopping for clothing. I don't mind shopping for the groceries, running general errands, buying gifts, or thrift-shopping/flea-marketing, it is buying new clothes that I loathe with a passion.

To start with, I have a very low clothing budget. Bebe is too expensive for me. Take that as a baseline. So, most things available at my price-range are made horribly and are extremely boring. One reason I almost never buy new clothes is because the clothing tends to follow trends, and therefore everything in the store looks kind of the same, and I go ****-blind and can't differentiate among all of the different goods on offer. I manage to get bored and disoriented at the same time!

Secondly, the lighting in dressing rooms is appalling, so I always look sallow or jaundiced, so even if the outfit is not hideous and fits reasonably well, I am still going to look like something the cat spat up. So I will take a look at my yellow, disgruntled self and say, "Oh, no, no, no, you are NOT going out in public like that," and will quietly slink out of the dress, hang it back up, and abscond from the dressing room in disgrace.

Most of the time it doesn't even get to that stage, however. With sizing being such a crapshoot, I have to take three sizes of any one garment in to the dressing room (which usually has a sign saying 5 garments or fewer). One that is the size I think I am, one bigger, one smaller. Usually each of them will fit me in one spot and none of the others. I have a long torso, wide shoulders, and a high butt. I'm muscular. I'm not actually that tall, torso notwithstanding, as my legs are kind of short, and VERY bulky and muscular. Since I am oddly proportioned, most commercially available clothing looks like hell on me. Bunchy at the waist, scrunched up in the armpits because my shoulders shoot past the armsceye, gapping over my butt, and too tight in the legs.

Theoretically, and on average, I wear a Misses size 4 in the US, 10 in the UK, Euro 38. My measurements are 33-25-34, with a 19" back waist length and 28" inseam. Since I know my measurements and the oddities of my figure, I find that it is much easier to just go ahead and make my own clothes. Then I can be assured of the fabric I want, in a flattering color, and that the fit will be what it should be. The time it takes to make a pair of pants is about the time it would take to find an acceptable pair.

I should hasten to state that I don't dread shopping in the fabric shop at all, outside of the sad fact that I can and often do go overbudget there.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Feb 16th, 2004 - 2:14 pm

yes i hate shopping as such but the fact of having the items finally for myself does satisfy me in some sorts
I totally agree.

16-02-2004
front row

I tell myself I need something and I go to the store looking for what i want. That's shopping for me. And if I can't find it I don't buy anything.

But once in a while I will go shopping and grab everything I like (girly moments) and if I have time to kill I will try it on, but in the end only buy one item or none.

I'd rather spend my money on food and drinks for my friends and I than clothes.

16-02-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Feb 16th, 2004 - 3:57 pm
I don't mind shopping for the groceries, running general errands, buying gifts, or thrift-shopping/flea-marketing, it is buying new clothes that I loathe with a passion.

me neither, i also adore shopping for fabrics or home deco.

girls i'm glad i'm not alone in this

ps, just back from shopping, it took me half an hour trying out things
...its a miracle i got myself just one pale blue skirt and a uber basic rollneck in black..

i'm just pathetic, nothing was good enough. again

16-02-2004
backstage pass

i feel you lena. i can't find anything i like around here and it is just depressing to go shopping because i get frustrated. it doesnt help any that right now i live in a horrible market. thrift stores are my salvation cause i can get tons of stuff to play around with and rework for practically nothing.

16-02-2004
no photos, no photos

I couldn't agree more. I think for me it's the fact that I run a clothing store. After working 50+ hours a week basically shopping for others, it's the last thing I want to do. When I go to market in NY I love to check out the stores in the city, but rarely buy. When I do buy, it's always the same thing: jeans and shoes-but it's a very quick process. If I like it, I buy it, I don't sit around and ponder. I even hate shopping for groceries, then again, that may be food issues. Like you all, I can spend hours in thrift stores and fabric stores though.

flaunt the imperfection..

the only reason i hate shopping are the prices-everything has gone way up-and in an economy that's way down...i don't get it!

it used to be that a very good-high-end designer bag would run 500-600 US$.
Now-you can't touch a decent bag for less than $800-1,000...the Chloe bag I really love is $1200!!!- check it out at www.net-a-porter.com...

a blouse at Prada is $700! and they wonder why no one is shopping and the retail sales are down?!?!?!

16-02-2004
chaos reigns

I feel for you, Le ...
my main problems are THREE:
#1 THERE ARE NO SHOES I LIKE OUT THERE ... at all! I don't know why but buying shoes is torture for me ..when I was in High School I used to drag her shoe-shopping on 4 different cities (each one on a different province) !
#2 THERE ARE NO CLOTHES MY SIZE ... That's the worst ... if I find something I like, there's no chance in hell they'll have it my size
#3 When I go shopping, generally I have something in my mind I'm looking for, so ... must of the times it's hard to find on a store something that's on your mind.

PS Thrift stores are kewl ... those are one of the few places where hours pass by FAST and I shop happily! Maybe it is because you FIND stuff in here, so ever since you come in, you're up for a hunt (and excitement!)

slightly dizzy

I agree with most of the things said here... I do go shopping every now and then, but I usually end up with nothing because I'm hypercritical, or the stuff I find is too expensive.

I love the fact that you can shop on-line nowadays...

trendsetter

I'm with you all, quality, fabrics, fit, design, cost... the list goes on. I want my sewing machine back, then I want a good supply of fabrics...

17-02-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by blumarine@Feb 17th, 2004 - 7:29 am
I feel for you, Le ...
my main problems are THREE:
#1 THERE ARE NO SHOES I LIKE OUT THERE ... at all! I don't know why but buying shoes is torture for me ..when I was in High School I used to drag her shoe-shopping on 4 different cities (each one on a different province) !
#2 THERE ARE NO CLOTHES MY SIZE ... That's the worst ... if I find something I like, there's no chance in hell they'll have it my size
#3 When I go shopping, generally I have something in my mind I'm looking for, so ... must of the times it's hard to find on a store something that's on your mind.

I agree with all of these!

I can never find shoes that fit (I wear a size 35), or any that I seem to like for that matter. Clothes too are hard to find because I'm petite and they never have my size here. Outerwear and trousers are especially difficult. Also like Blu said, I usually know what I want before I go shopping, but of course I can never find it

17-02-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Feb 16th, 2004 - 4:19 am
i know its a bit strange, no matter how much i love fashion (and the fact that i've been working in fashion for years) i feel very non-driven towards shopping, everything seems dull and not good enough to buy... i hate trying on things (ending up dissapointed by fit or quality even in lux brands) , shoe& bags shopping is my total nightmare since i have problem finding things I like .

even though i enjoy browsing the chic fashion shop windows -and i need to browse regularly for business reasons- its a different story when i need to buy something.. i almost panic, i cant do casual shopping like so many friends do.

sole exception, is vintage clothing which i buy in massive amounts

i know its not usual, hence the question.. am i the only one here having shop-a-phobia?
I'll dig deeper in psyche with your permission

Could it be more then just the lack of beautiful, quality items? Could it be the hatred of the obsession with things material that fashion has become, instead of being the temple of esthetics that it was meant to be? Could it be the sickening fake aura in upscale stores, the snooty salespeople, the rubbing of the shoulders with the suffocatingly rich and tasteless? These are all my turn offs.

When I shop (and I don't think of it as shopping, because my closet is full of basics, I think of myself as collecting the beautiful pieces), I go to the few select small stores where I know the salespeople by name, who know me by name, who don't have an attitude, because they don't need to. And beleive me, at best, I buy one or two things on sale per season, I just don't have that kind of money to spend.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
shopaphobic