How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2005
Swim Upstream

Its the same in london Purechris although the marni concession in selfridges is better! No wonder there is so much marni on yoox - well I'm glad of that actually because then I have access to it. LOL

14-07-2005
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
It REALLY surprised me , but the HERMES boutique , on King Street in Manchester , UK , has the most pleasant , non-stuck-up , sales assistants that I have ever come across in a truly upmarket luxury shop .
Same thing with the shops in Munich and Milan, very pleasant staff! I guess Hermès values their customers (or future customers...) and it is unfortunately a rare thing...

27-07-2005
front row

I know I'm late to the thread but I've been bored and looking through past threads. Bear with me . . .
I've found that most rude ( or anything but polite/helpful/ friendly) SA's are miserable working retail and probably jealous that they can't spend the money that their customer's can. Also, management doesn't seem to stand behind their employees and from what I hear, they put a lot of pressure on the SA's. I go into a couple of stores and there are lines and lines of customers, clothes pilled up everywhere, dressing rooms overflowing, and cranky customers. It take a strong person not to crack under that kind of pressure, I would imagine. Granted, that's not typical at Saks, Neimans, and whatnot but still.
I just go in, look, purchase and leave. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter anyway. At the end of the day, if they're rude or nice, that's the attitude they have to live with.
Just my long and rambling 2 cents :p

29-07-2005
scenester

I love hearing all your stories. Sometimes, I feel like it's just me who stores hate.

I shop embarassingly a lot and, in my experience, it doesn't matter what I wear. It's the person behind the "SA." If he/she is a cool person, he/she will most likely be a cool SA. I do prefer the smaller boutiques, though. Here in L.A., I get the best service at Patty Faye, Una Mae, X-girl, the Circle and the Kids are Alright. Note that all these stores are on the eastside. As you get more west, the SAs cop more of an attitude.

BUT the worst service I've ever gotten was in the most unexpected of all places: the Giant Robot Store (o.g. & 2) on Sawtelle. Their magazine is so laid back and funny and irreverent. For those of you who aren't familiar with GR, they're all about Asian pop culture. In addition to a great magazine, they sell cute t-shirts, accessories, books, toys, etc... Total geek boy/girl heaven! I've gone into their stores 3 times and every time I feel like I'm not hip enough for them. One time, I was PAYING for a pretty big purchase & I asked about a shirt in a different size. The guy said they had a bunch still in boxes that he was about to open. I said, okay, when should I come back? And the asshat looked at me like I was his mom making him clean his room and said, "I don't know! It's really busy right now." I see his stupid mug on their website all the time and it makes me want to puke. The second time: I smiled at the girl as I was entering and she ignored me and went on talking to her friend. I see her picture all the time, too. **** you, bitch. The 3rd and final time: I felt attitude as I was entering and I just turned right around & left. I'm never going back there again and it's a shame because I love their stuff and I'm in the neighborhood all the time.

End rant.
So, anyway, back on topic - it ain't just the luxury stores that have attitude. The Barney's on Wilshire is always a pretty cool place, though. And I'm not a very posh-looking person.

29-07-2005
scenester

This isn't really fashion related, but everyone's storied remind me of something that happened to my dad like 20 years ago. He had gone out in the morning to run some errands, looking a little dissheveled, and on the way home, he noticed that one of the houses up the street was for sale, and they were having an open house. My dad goes in, to look around (he had done some real estate brokering with my mom at the time), and the agent comes up to him and says, "Are you sure you can afford this neighborhood?" My dad just responded, "Yeah...I live up the street, and I own two other houses on this block." Classic.

29-07-2005
scenester

The best sales assistants that I have come across in a high end store in London is at Liberty in Regent street.They are will ask you if you need help but back right off if you say you are just browsing. I personally hate it when they follow you round trying to chat to you - get out of my personal space! They are so nice when you do need service. I have bought a couple of bags in there and the assistant spent ten minutes talking bags with me and showing me photos of the next seasons collections as she was a fellow bag fanatic. Plus they package up your purchases really well.

I always find the assistants in Selfridges pretty rude and never there when you do need service and Harrods is the absolute pits for rude SA's.

I do agree that if you know your fashion they soon have to drop the attitude 'cos they often dont have the knowledge to keep up.Then who feels superior!! To go into a designer shop like gucci, moschino just give them a big smile as soon as you get in the door and that really throws them - if you ooze confidence from the beginning and done "scurry" in that soon sorts them out i find.

30-07-2005
backstage pass

this is what i've learned from my experiences shopping at the Houston Galleria:
  • it doesn't necessarily matter how you dress, it's the shopping bags you have haha. i was wearing APC Jeans (no one here knows what they are here and they're logoless) , a vintage T and checkered vans -- not exactly my best, but i also had shopping bags from my earlier purchases that day from Neimans, Saks, Ralph Lauren and Coach. you'd be amazed how they come out of the cracks when they see the bags. if i hadn't had them, and i have before, no one even looks at me.
  • if i'm at Neiman's all i have to do is say something to a sales associate like 'is it ok if i have you look up my mother's Incircle Card account? i can have you talk to her on my phone to approve' etc etc -- we actually don't shop there that much; my mom only buys makeup there bc her Trish Mcevoy makeup artist whose she's been going to for years works at that one
  • if i ask questions that show i know way more about the product than they do, they're usually nicer
  • if you walk in with a confident aura about yourself it usually doesn't matter what your wearing bc SA's can sense it and will shutup. show the slightest fear and they turn in to snobs.
  • don't look at the pricetags for godsakes! if you do, do it discreetly, and certainly don't make faces.
  • bring the MOMMY. sometimes i think she's really lame, but i gotta hand it to her, she is a pretty classy lady and can have those bitchy sales associates wrapped around her finger like no one else i know.
if all else fails, i just remind myself that i'm an accounting major and will most likely be making more than everyone of those SA's. yeah, some of them might make close to what i will make, but i will make my money not having to suck up to rich people, working 9-5, and having weekends off.

30-07-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeNatureLove
I know I'm late to the thread but I've been bored and looking through past threads. Bear with me . . .
I've found that most rude ( or anything but polite/helpful/ friendly) SA's are miserable working retail and probably jealous that they can't spend the money that their customer's can. Also, management doesn't seem to stand behind their employees and from what I hear, they put a lot of pressure on the SA's. I go into a couple of stores and there are lines and lines of customers, clothes pilled up everywhere, dressing rooms overflowing, and cranky customers. It take a strong person not to crack under that kind of pressure, I would imagine. Granted, that's not typical at Saks, Neimans, and whatnot but still.
I just go in, look, purchase and leave. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter anyway. At the end of the day, if they're rude or nice, that's the attitude they have to live with.
Just my long and rambling 2 cents :p
I've heard this, but I just don't think it's a very good excuse for a rude SA. Their lack of interest in their work and crappy job performance very well may be what's keeping them down in the position they dislike so much. If they would realize this, I have a feeling that everyone's shopping trips would improve.

30-07-2005
front row

As much as I love fashion, I still dislike going into luxury stores because I think the sticker shock still shows on my face

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
you'd be amazed how they come out of the cracks when they see the bags.
I just imagine SA's hiding around corners and peeping through racks of clothing to look at the label's on the customer's bags

windowshopping

I'm hispanic and plus-sized so I've had my share of experiences with salespeople looking down their noses, or just eyeing me suspiciously. I don't often wear very expensive clothes, but I do tend to buy higher end accessories.

I agree it really has more to do with the individual salesperson and their own snobbiness/judgment of people than the store or the city. I've met many Professional SA's who take pride in customer service.

In London I've had some very nice service at Harvey Nick's, and at Harrod's, though a lady I bought a dress from in Harrod's did make a not so subtle comment about my size.

Where I live now, I have an SA at Neiman's who always remembers me since I bought a bag from her. And at Sak's a sales associate in Salon Z actually researched a designer for me and then called me at home to let me know if the line would be carried by their store.

One really nice experience I had was at Emilio Pucci. I came in carrying a Pucci handbag and they asked me how I liked it and were even excited for me when I told them I'd got it for 60% off in a sale at Neiman's. The male salesperson showed me some scarves and demonstrated all the different ways to wear the largest one. I ended up getting a smaller one, but he still wrapped it up beautifully and made the purchasing experience a pleasure.

31-07-2005
trendsetter

I have countless experiences w/ horrible service from 'so-called' high-end stores. Maybe cause i look like i'm 16 but still, you shouldn't treat people that way. However, my latest experience would have to be when i went to the Marc by Marc Jacobs store in la. It was about a week or 2 since they opened up the store on Melrose Ave. I wasn't planning to go there but i was around the area so i decided to check out the store. i was just wearing normal casual clothes (jeans+t-shirt+sandles w/ just a clutch wallet). So i walked in w/ a friend and we were looking at the clothes for maybe like a half hour and no one came up to greet or help us. I picked up a couple shirts and jacket to try on and still no one offered me the fitting room. Although there was this girl next to me who had an SA following her and she was making him hold all these clothes saying she was gonna buy all of them. It was hilarious cause at the end she didn't end up buying anything! Anyway, I didn't say anything since everyone seemed to be pretty buzy and there were alOT of people there. Then i tried on one of the jacket in front of the mirror and a man approached me. He said, "oh so do you like that jacket?" i said yes. Then he asked, "oh great it's a really nice jacket and the price is pretty high, are you gonna buy that?"(giving me a weird face) and i think i said maybe and then he offered me his card. On the card it said his name and under it said "security" or something like that. Then he had to nerve to say "oh i should hold that for you." And he took everything i was holding!

Oh i was so offended. Did he really think i was going to steal? That is so crap! I was so mad Just cause i wasn't carrying a balenciaga like every other person in the store. Some of those B bag were fake anyways! I gave the guy's card to the cashier person and bought all the stuff that was "on hold". I havn't been back there since.

On the other hand, the Marc Jacobs store across the street has great SAs. They are all very nice and helpful. tsk tsk some people

31-07-2005
scenester

^Oh my God that's probably the worst experience posted in this thread (I just spent half an hour reading every post). You MUST call the manager and complain. What a horrible feeling it must have been for you.

31-07-2005
barcode

Whenever I've been in a luxury boutique (like LV, Gucci, Dior etc.) I have always gotten really good service from the salespeople. They're very courteous, ready to help and most importantly, not at all pushy (which is odd considering they work on comission). It's weird, considering that I'm young and hardly rich you'd think I'd get crappy service, but that hasn't happened to me yet. I think maybe it has something to do with my attitude, I walk in like I could buy the whole place if I wanted to, not in an obnoxious sense, but I carry myself like I belong there, not like I'm out of my element....I really think that's at least part of why I've never had a bad experience in one of those stores.

Of course, I've heard stories of nasty, pompous sales people being terribly rude to customers which is something I absolutely detest. I don't care what the reason is, you respect the customer in any situation. I think it's really their responsibility to represent the company they're working for in the best possible way, and considering the money some people spend in those stores the service better damn well be better than your average department store.

31-07-2005
V.I.P.

Ive never gotten rude service though the woman (security or someone useless) at Dior in NYC, gave me this look when I entered. And when I walked by her to leave (Dior shopping bag in hand, mind you) I said to my friend "I wonder if the people here can actually afford what they sell." Dior in NYC has excellent service, I always go to the same SA when I go there, he is excellent and knows exactly what Id like.

The woman at Hermes in Tysons was SOOOOO nice, she totally handled the dysfunction of my sister and I, and taught us about the ague or whatever and how Hermes is pronounced. She was a really nice. There is this lovely woman with an Italian accent at Chanel in Tysons, she was so helpful and no pressure at all, and actually recommended other stores (shocking).

I work in retail now, I really love it (the customers and selling, but I hate my employer). I want to get a job at Dior, Chanel or somewhere with a reputation for excellent service.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores