How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2005
Power to the 99%

My recommendation in really egregious situations like this is to call the store manager directly. I did this once when I took a belt back to Neimans the day after Christmas to exchange sizes. It wasn't a gift, but I'd worn it once, took it off in the car, and ran it back to the store next chance I got. The guy basically accused me of stealing it. *On the day after Christmas.*

When I spoke with the store manager, she asked what the guy looked like, and said grimly, "I know exactly who you mean." She apologized and sent me a nice letter with lunch for two at their restaurant (the good one).

I still experience "attitude" from time to time, and it's always in certain high-end dept stores. The Saks near me moved into a smaller space in the mall, redid the interior (really gorgeous Art Deco), and suddenly the exact same salespeople who'd been smiling and helping me for years got an attitude. So I took my business to other stores in the mall that have a better selection anyhow. That's one way I handle the attitude, but sometimes you want what you want and you have to go to a certain place to get it.

In that case, if I sense attitude, I simply ignore the salespeople--act like they're not even there. This throws 'em. I also make sure to give my business to the one helpful person around, and I will travel around the store or dept to find that person if I'm going to buy something. It's actually quite amusing the looks of dismay on the snotty ones' faces when they understand the walloping amount of cash you are spending--with someone else.

I might add that this problem basically does not exist at Nordstrom, and is one reason I go out of my way to shop there. The only issue I have with them is they carry only 4/6/8 in designer clothes--I scolded them about that & it does seem to be a bit better for Fall. If I wanted to buy something without trying it on, I'd shop online, right?

PS When I worked in retail I treated the people in jeans with every bit of the respect I gave everyone else, and it was certainly to my advantage to do so. (We were on *straight* commission--I was very clear that everyone's money was the same color.) Sometimes they even commented on how unusual it was. The store I worked in sold business clothes--of course people want to dress down on the weekend when they have to be starchy all week.

PPS Another tip--I find that minority salespeople are often the nice ones. They know all about attitude and they don't like being on the receiving end of it either.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 05-08-2005 at 01:39 PM.

07-08-2005
trendsetter

What a wonderful thread! So many horrendous stories!

The funniest story I have, is from six years ago. I was in NY for the third time in my life, and was there for a 4 day shopping spree. On the flight from Norway, I'd seen a blue fur jacket/coat from Iceberg (don't know what I was thinking, lol). So me and a friend went to the store, and asked the SA about the fur jacket. She looked at me like she's hit the jackpot in Vegas, and went to find it. She came back, and deeply apologized that she didn't have it in. I was actually kind of releived, since it was about $9000 more than what I was willing to spend (lol). THEN, she was like; "I think they have it in LA, let me call them for you!" And I was like, "That's not necessary, since I'm going back to Norway on Sunday (this was Friday)". Then she said that that was no problem, they'd have it sent to NY with a jet, and could have it delivered to my hotel (which stupid me gave her the name of).. At this stage I was slightly panicing, but put up my "I'm rich" face, and said "go ahead". (eek!)

So she called LA, and they didn't have it in! Wohoo! I've never been this releived in my life! She was about to start crying though, I think she saw her comission fly away..

I guess my story is kind of opposite of what this thread is about, but it is on subject, isn't it?

:p

08-08-2005
front row

The same thing happened to me in Burberry here in San Francisco. I was looking for a coat and was TOTALLY ignored by the all the SA. Pretty dumb because I as wearing a Burberry scarf (I didnt plan in that way, but it was ficken cold out! ) Needless to say, I have not been back and its been almost three years.

08-08-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
it doesn't necessarily matter how you dress, it's the shopping bags you have haha. .
that is so true

take my experience of zegna on bond street - usually when i went in i wandered around looking and the staff wouldn't even acknowledge me- resulting in frustration and me taking my custom to harrods. but when i went in recently carring two very large bottega carrier bags and a ysl suit carrier - i couldn't shake the SA off..

09-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BergdorfBlonde*

Also, you find VERY nice SAs at Sephora. There was one in Aventural Mall (Miami) who was very sweet to me.
I agree with that. Sephora isn't exactly a luxury boutique, but the SA's at Sephoras are, across the board, the nicest, most friendly, and most helpful SA's I have ever dealt with. They don't get paid on comission though, do they?

09-08-2005
scenester

I think some of the best SA's are at Nordstrom. There was one day that it was downright pouring rain and my mum and I decided that we'd go shopping for a little while. Well the smart one she is wore a black leather trench coat. When it started raining, she couldn't help but be horrified by the idea of leather getting soaked. We called inside the store from the car and they sent out a very VERY polite SA with an umbrella for us. Needless to say he made excellent commission from my mum and from the store.

The worst thing an SA can do is ask "Can I help you find something?" at a store where ALL the clothes they have are already on the rack. When you need a large and it's not on the rack and you ask for one, they won't have it. And that kind of makes them look stupid.

The store with the worst SA's around here is Coach. For a semi-designer store that has more clientel with younger girls carrying logo bags, they shouldn't downplay the other customers. The last time I was in the boutique I was looking for a pair of sunglasses and a nice wallet to take on holiday. Was completely ignored when I was looking for them both and moved on to another store that I was eagerly willing to spend money in.

09-08-2005
Adorable illusion

Its funny how sometimes I get better customer service at designer boutiques than I do at high street shops

09-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme_again005
I think some of the best SA's are at Nordstrom. There was one day that it was downright pouring rain and my mum and I decided that we'd go shopping for a little while. Well the smart one she is wore a black leather trench coat. When it started raining, she couldn't help but be horrified by the idea of leather getting soaked. We called inside the store from the car and they sent out a very VERY polite SA with an umbrella for us. Needless to say he made excellent commission from my mum and from the store.

The worst thing an SA can do is ask "Can I help you find something?" at a store where ALL the clothes they have are already on the rack. When you need a large and it's not on the rack and you ask for one, they won't have it. And that kind of makes them look stupid.

The store with the worst SA's around here is Coach. For a semi-designer store that has more clientel with younger girls carrying logo bags, they shouldn't downplay the other customers. The last time I was in the boutique I was looking for a pair of sunglasses and a nice wallet to take on holiday. Was completely ignored when I was looking for them both and moved on to another store that I was eagerly willing to spend money in.
The Coach stores here have really nice people, but I agree with you about Nordstrom. Once, when I managed to buy more than I could physically carry, the shoe guy helped me carry everything to my car ... which was parked completely at the other end of the mall. OT, he was Jamaican I think and had the most beautiful and unusual golden eyes I've ever seen.

10-08-2005
windowshopping

Does anyone think that we should direct marketing or PR managers of those high end stores mentioned to this thread? It's not the consumer who should be made to feel self concious and then move on and spend $$$ in another boutique location. The SA hiring process should be more carefully thought out, because without the consumer, the store goes. If the SA's motive is to sell to only the billionaires, then by all means, the brand only needs an online store and a few locations, and the SA should be out of a job.

10-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothaG
Come on, most SA's are so stuck up their *** because they work for a designer label. They somehow get the feeling they actually designed all of the clothes and set up the entire brand. The attitude THEY carry should change, not that of normal people.
True. Very well said.

People who judge others based on looks make me so sick and tired.

13-08-2005
scenester

YES about the boutiques.. The majority of the SAs are more friendly than the high street stores.

I've had good encounters at Hermes and Dior. Shockingly...

Banana Republic, Nordstrom, Coach, Neiman Marcus...
Everytime I enter a store, I simply walk in and don't even glance at the SA, not unless they greet me first ...

15-08-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-Blossom
... I was SO upset that I don't think that I'll ever go back to that bloomingdale's in LA ever again... and I have shopped there for YEARS! I mean, over perfume?!?!?!
That never happen to me at LA's bloomys but i can totally see the difference between the LA bloomys and Sherman Oaks bloomys. SO bloomingdales have the nicest and most helpful SAs, while the LA SAs are just not so friendly.

15-08-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

i did a little shopping yesterrday and got excellent service at garrads in harvey nicks and sonia rykiel- but terrible at hermes in harrods and harvey nicks menswear- its all very hit and miss. but if u find a good SA keep returning to them

15-08-2005
backstage pass

Usually when I go to shops someone says at least "hello, how are you". For the most part, I'd rather be left alone until I need help. Perhaps the SA's in NY feel that that is probably how many people feel and don't bother them.

I do however will get annoyed if I walk in and no one says anything and someone else walks in and they jump to that person. At that point, I just walk out because that's just rude. But if I HAVE to get something from there I will ask another SA for help and let them get the sale.

26-11-2005
rising star

i've been to high-end stores in hawaii and they were extremely accomidating. ysl, gucci, louis vuitton, and chanel SAs were practically fawning over my mother and I. maybe its because we looked japanese
it's very true that if you're japanese, the red carpet is practically rolled out for you in honolulu because their tourist industry is mainly comprised of their luxury shopping.

i'm also going to add to the abercrombie bashing: one time i was in the garden state abercrombie, and these two tasteless girls (destroyed micromini demin skirts and uggs) were looking my friend and i up and down. it was SO nasty. i tried to be nice to them and ask them if they had a t-shirt in a particular size, and she just ignored me. then she proceeds to stand next to me and say to her friend "...yeah i know it's like they fold it half-*** to try to impress us" i was thinking, who the hell do you think you are? THIS IS JUST ABERCROMBIE! UGH

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores