How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2005
backstage pass

In Cali, there are lots of little boutiques that sell 7's, c.o.h jeans, etc., and I much rather prefer to support a local place that has the same clothing as n.m., or saks. the sa's are sooooo sweet most times, and if they aren't ya gotta make them work. for example: the snooty sa approches me(a 21yo black male with a new platnum VISA in my pocket), and says " MAY I HELP YOU..!?" I say "you can start a dressing room for me", and I hand him/her something random to get them started. Or you can try something on yourself and in a coy mannor ask the sa "do you get commision for your sales?" HEHE!

26-11-2005
front row

The worst experience with SAs at luxurious stores I ever had was at the Barneys Chicago. I was at the men's designers section on the 3rd floor. I knew beforehand that they carried Dries Van Noten so I was curious what their selctions were like. I looked around the entire floor, but didn't find it. Then there was a male SA walking past by me. I walked up to him and asked him very politely where the Dries stuff was. You guys can't imagine what a horrible attitude he had! He didn't stopped and didn't even look at me while just randomly pointing at a corner of the room and screaming "Right over there! Right over there!". I was so shocked and totally confused, and didn't even know how to respond. I asked him where it's again since I had completely no idea where he's pointing at, but he still didn't stop to answer my question, while just screamed out it's on the small rack besides another desginer's stuff. I tried very hard to supress my anger and found by myself several pieces of them which were very poor and boring. I mean if a luxury store buys stuff like those, I can't even see the slightest reason for them to put on any attitude. I thought about complaining to their manager but I was in a hurry for something else that day, so I gave it up in the end.

Generally I discourage any male fashion lover to vistit Barneys Chicago, it's a pretty awful store, their merchandise are boring and provincial, their SAs on the 3rd floor are cold and pretentious (not just that guy I mentioned above). On the other hand, I have always had very positive experience with SAs in Barneys on Madison Ave. Everytime I went to NYC, I went there to check things out. Although I didn't buy things everytime, the SA helping me was always friendly and had some kind of patience, which is such a big contrast to Barneys Chicago.

26-11-2005
tfs star

i love luxury stores, i have been to dior ina japan but the sa there seemed to be a little jealous he was handing me clothes to try on while i was in the change room and guess what he asks me "are you a swimmer, those abs" i took it as a compliment though it was slightly creepy that he asked me that, i LOVE hermes in japan they are the nicest people , same with prada, so kind and fu, it was before i was interested in fashion and they had that really shiny bright patterned collection for prada on some racks, the one where the mens and womens clothes matched that season, i really dont remember and she was explaining all the etails it was totally fascinating and she was cute gucci thought i was a model so there were about three or four people just handing me clothes after clothes for me to try on, i was completely decked out from shoe to belt, in vienna the fendi people were just awesome again with prada and gucci, but versace were ok, the two guys helping me were nice but the one girl was rude after i asked about the rumours about versace in finacial turmoil, i know bad move on my part, i went to a couple boutiques in london while i was there no real stores but here in canada the holt people have there on and off days. i know i have spelling mistakes but i am too lazy to check, sorry.

27-11-2005
scenester

I've got another antidote. And I sent in a complaint to so we'll see how that goes. At the big Banana Republic store in SF, mind you a NON luxury, CHAINSTORE, I was debuffed twice. THe SAs totally ignored me as I entered the store, blatantly welcoming these other caucasian tourists behind me. That's why I stopped shopping at Abercrombie b/c of situations like these. It's absurd, these SAs are only getting paid $7/hour, don't wonder they're such tightwads!!

What WAS funny though was when I entered a Rampage store in the mall, carrying my chanel bag..hahah...I couldn't get them to leave me alone. People are so shallow..

Last edited by zashikibuta_vert; 27-11-2005 at 05:09 PM.
27-11-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zashikibuta_vert

What WAS funny though was when I entered a Rampage store in the mall, carrying my chanel bag..hahah...I couldn't get them to leave me alone. People are so shallow..
i totally agree. that same thing happened to me once too. i borrowed my mom's chanel bag to go shopping, and when i went into arden b, the SAs were kissing my *** the whole time

01-12-2005
bonjour antlers

It's all about appearance. I guess snooty sales associates believe that kind of rudeness is attractive--like customers will want to buy their clothes in an attempt to obtain the same kind of air.

I recently went retail-job-hunting in Seattle for the Holiday season (I must be crazy, I know) and I encountered a few different breeds of SA's:

Bebe: Wasn't greeted for the first five minutes (I understand if they're busy, but if SA's are just hanging out and see me walk in without so much as shouting a "Hi, how are you?" it's a little offensive. Kind of kills the mood of shopping.) I think these are the most intimidating kind--snooty and scary--it's probably because their 6-inch stilettoes cut off the blood flow to their brains, therefore mistaking customers for mannequins.

Express: Friendly and helpful. I always have a good experience when I go there...

Vicky's: I love VS but for God's sake, don't frickin ask me again to get your damn Angel's Card. I've tried twice already and I keep getting declined--which is probably a totally good thing.

Nordys: Mostly where I shop since I haven't explored too many boutiques here yet. SA's are usually nice--sometimes they're "aloof" and other times they're helpful. Whatev. They work on commission so I don't know what they gain from being A-holes.

BCBG: Male SA (who looked reeeeely sketchy; or maybe it was the cakey foundation he was wearing? Yucky) completely breezed past to fawn over another couple. But a few seconds later another SA smiled and greeted me.

Barneys: Ha! Totally ignored by the two SA's working the junior-type department but it's okay--I was too busy drooling over the Prada heels. But when I went downstairs to the Mens deparment and a woman helped me out--really sweet.

Urban Outfitters: There's a mixture of snobby and not-so-snobby workers. The cashier sported the bitchiest attitude when I returned a few items (which I hadn't even worn and still had the tags attached) and even though everything was in perfect condition, since it was a few days after the oh-so-Holy "30-day-return-policy" I got $300 worth in store credit instead of cash. Pisssssssed. Dumb store.

But yeah... I have a bunch of funny retail stories. This one was so embarrassing--but totally on my part. It was during Christmas break a few years ago and I was with my sister in law. We went into Armani Exchange so I could get my brother a beanie and the sales guy was super hot and suuuper nice. He wouldn't stop flirting with me and went out of his way to help me. Soooo I bought everything I needed and left the store--only to agonize over why I didn't ask for his number. (I was feeling bold that day--it was probably the Escada perfume I had sniffed earlier). Finally she encouraged me to go back and talk to him--which I did after spending, seriously, two hours rehearsing what I'd say (I don't normally ask guys out--okay, I never ask guys out). Annnyways... I ended up making a fool out of myself. lol. I was like, "Hey, you're really sweet. Could I give you my phone number?" or something equally retarded. And he's like, "Oh, uhm... I'd love to, but I have a girlfriend." ERRUHHchrrrsplat. I was scarred for life. I realized he was just flirting with me so I'd purchase more things. The horror! At least I saved myself with, "Oh, well, then take it as a compliment cause you're really cute." And then got the hell out of there. Woo!

My point? Don't hit on salespeople. They're wooing you, not into you. So lame.

Hehe. K. Done.

01-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambicakes
I
But yeah... I have a bunch of funny retail stories. This one was so embarrassing--but totally on my part. It was during Christmas break a few years ago and I was with my sister in law. We went into Armani Exchange so I could get my brother a beanie and the sales guy was super hot and suuuper nice. He wouldn't stop flirting with me and went out of his way to help me. Soooo I bought everything I needed and left the store--only to agonize over why I didn't ask for his number. (I was feeling bold that day--it was probably the Escada perfume I had sniffed earlier). Finally she encouraged me to go back and talk to him--which I did after spending, seriously, two hours rehearsing what I'd say (I don't normally ask guys out--okay, I never ask guys out). Annnyways... I ended up making a fool out of myself. lol. I was like, "Hey, you're really sweet. Could I give you my phone number?" or something equally retarded. And he's like, "Oh, uhm... I'd love to, but I have a girlfriend." ERRUHHchrrrsplat. I was scarred for life. I realized he was just flirting with me so I'd purchase more things. The horror! At least I saved myself with, "Oh, well, then take it as a compliment cause you're really cute." And then got the hell out of there. Woo!

My point? Don't hit on salespeople. They're wooing you, not into you. So lame.

Hehe. K. Done.

Hey.. at least he is wooing you to buy stuff.. some sales think they can get deals done just stand there and model. BLAH.

02-12-2005
army of lovers

Neiman's in San Francisco was bad. The sad, middle-aged SA didn't even acknowledged me but greeted the non minority guests...I don't get it, I was with my white boyfriend

02-12-2005
tfs star

I was visiting NM in miami once and I remember the service wasn't too great at first. we were looking at handbags and when we asked for assistance from an SA he kind of ended up just standing there and waiting rather than putting on his salesman charm.

funny thing is, they only take american express so we had to go upstairs to buy a gift certificate first just to purchase the bag. who happens to be there? joan rivers she heard the SA address my stepdad by his last name when reviewing his cc details and says "oh are you from europe? I just went there, paris and milan, had a fabbbulouss time there darling.. love that place..bla bla". for some reason, after that the SA was much nicer. really don't get that SAs reasoning..

I part-timed as a SA in a semi upscale place once, not like chanel or anything, but seemingly enough to make some of my coworkers a little snotty.. I can tell you the worst thing aren't customers who try a lot and don't buy. If you make them feel special and helped them, they'll probably come back for a repeat visit and its fun to chat with customers. the worst are those who act snobbish and act like they're better than you. we're here to be of service but hey, SAs are people too!

06-12-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambicakes
Bebe: Wasn't greeted for the first five minutes (I understand if they're busy, but if SA's are just hanging out and see me walk in without so much as shouting a "Hi, how are you?" it's a little offensive. Kind of kills the mood of shopping.) I think these are the most intimidating kind--snooty and scary--it's probably because their 6-inch stilettoes cut off the blood flow to their brains, therefore mistaking customers for mannequins.

I'll tell you the very worst customer on earth. When I was in college I worked in retail at a place that sold mostly suits. This rather unattractive woman who said she worked for IBM came in nearly every weekend, and always, always wore the exact same thing. After all these years I can still tell you what it was: a red-purple button front shirt, tight Western type jeans that showed off her saddle bags, brown cowboy boots that appeared to have been well used for their originally intended purpose, and very low self-esteem (her most prominent accessory--that & an unhappy expression). She would come in, look around, talk to us endlessly about the suit she needed, try things on, complain to the manager that she wasn't being treated well enough (and that she would buy something if only she could get the service she wanted), and never, ever, ever bought anything. Looking back, it amazes me how much time she spent doing this! She was my least favorite customer of all time.

06-12-2005
bonjour antlers

hehe.

She sounds amazing, fashionista-ta. I bet you miss her sumpthin fierce.

06-12-2005
Power to the 99%

I see you're familiar with the lingo, bambicakes ... that I do :p

06-12-2005
V.I.P.

I mostly shop online, but sometimes I may pop into saks and and I've noticed I dont get good service at all. Better service would be nice but I guess I cant blame then becuase I am pretty young. I did have a good experience with a very nice gay SA at the chanel stand though

Have any of the member SA's here had any experiences with customers returning everything? I dont think I've ever walked in Sephora to buy something, always return. I buy lots of things online, figure out what I like best, and return the rest. It's almost embaressing coming in there now, I wonder if they remember me?

I feel like I'm completly stalked if I ever go into VS, I get asked if I need help so many times and even if I say no thank you they still kind of follow you and comment on everything you look at.

Last edited by Guessgirl96; 06-12-2005 at 02:36 AM.
06-12-2005
front row

i like a SA to greet me when i walk in and look them straight in the eye with a friendly look on my face.

just a simple "hey!" and a smile will surfice!

if they dont greet me, i leave

if they relentlessly keep asking me things like ''so is it your day off today'', ''what have you got planned today'', "blah blah blah", i leave

i just want to politely look without somebodys voice buzzing in my ear!

i think that all we need to do as customers is set perameters for what we find acceptable. it is simple as hell to walk back out the door and find another shop!

06-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guessgirl96
Have any of the member SA's here had any experiences with customers returning everything? I dont think I've ever walked in Sephora to buy something, always return. I buy lots of things online, figure out what I like best, and return the rest. It's almost embaressing coming in there now, I wonder if they remember me?
i have heard that SAs bitch about serial returners.

giving a refund means that the daily total is lowered (sometimes signifigantly!), and makes the SA look as though she hasnt made much money for the store that day.

all that being said, i return things fairly often! you cant let yourself be bullied, if you need to return something then it is perfectly ok.

Last edited by copper; 06-12-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores