How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-12-2005
front row

One place I would avoid in the future is Harrods as in Harrods of London. The SA's there are soo snotty, perhaps because I'm only 18 and asian-american? I do admit I was wearing jeans, and dressed rather casually, but I don't see the point in preening myself head to toe for going shopping. I asked to see some DKNY perfume, and after I tested it, and walked away..she very rudely told me to "put it back on the shelf". I thought SA's were PAID to do stuff like that???

Never shopping at Harrods again, if I feel like splurging now, I always go to Selfridges where the SA's are super-nice.

06-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lick1987
I asked to see some DKNY perfume, and after I tested it, and walked away..she very rudely told me to "put it back on the shelf". I thought SA's were PAID to do stuff like that???
why didnt you put the perfume back?

it is my pet hate to see people pick up things, get bored and then put them back in the completely wrong place in the shop. i see shops with items littered everywhere and this wouldnt happen if it wasnt for lazy customers.
i think it is ridiculous that customers dont put things back where they found them from. they are SA's, not maids.

the only exception is where you come out of a changeroom after trying on clothes and the SA offers to rehang/refold garments and put them away neatly for you.

i still see people just leave things chucked on the floors in changerooms for the SA's to clean up after them. it is SO rude and disrespectful.

Last edited by copper; 06-12-2005 at 08:17 AM.
07-12-2005
front row

Hmm...my rule for that is...if I buy something, I don't always hang up the other clothes I've tried on. If I don't buy anything, then I make sure to hang everything back up neatly.

I suspect most SAs don't mind spending a few minutes folding clothes in exchange for a nice commission.

And if an SA spoke sharply to me and told me to put something back, I'm sure I would be so startled I'd drop it!

On another note:

I'm always a little embarrassed when SA's recognize me. "Oh hi, how are you, you're in here a lot!" It's as if they're hinting that all I do is shop and I have no life (which is true!)

And...

It's always a good idea to dress up when you're shopping, sad as that seems. But if you're dressed fashionably, the SAs then assume you're interested in fashion and might buy something, unlike the 90% of folks who just come in and paw the merchandise.

07-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuvielberen
I'm always a little embarrassed when SA's recognize me. "Oh hi, how are you, you're in here a lot!" It's as if they're hinting that all I do is shop and I have no life (which is true!)
me too! i hate it when they say that

07-12-2005
front row

I would like to speak out for the good SA's who know how to provide special service. There was an SA at Jil Sander in Costa Mesa several years ago who would go into the changing room with me to help me with trying on the clothes. One time while tucking my shirt in the front of the pants for me his hand stayed in my pants for many minutes, if you know what I mean. In talking to friends I've learned this kind of service is not so rare, although this was the only time I've ever been treated so well in a changing room.

07-12-2005
backstage pass

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruki
I would like to speak out for the good SA's who know how to provide special service. There was an SA at Jil Sander in Costa Mesa several years ago who would go into the changing room with me to help me with trying on the clothes. One time while tucking my shirt in the front of the pants for me his hand stayed in my pants for many minutes, if you know what I mean. In talking to friends I've learned this kind of service is not so rare, although this was the only time I've ever been treated so well in a changing room.
this reminds me of an episode of Friends!

07-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothaG
I was thinking the same thing, that story...

Maybe I'm missing something?

07-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guessgirl96
Maybe I'm missing something?
That makes two of us

07-12-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello_yello_jen
That makes two of us
errr..somehow I'm LOL now though :/

anyhow...I HATE HATE going into the LV store unless I was going to buy something. The SA there act like you need to buy something to pay them back for the time that they spent on you..hate it there..thank god im not into LV..but my sister is :/ I LOVE SaksFifth SA in san francisco, all of them are soooo nice, even though some are somewhat "snooty" but snooty in a funny kind of way.

The whole dressing nice and having a confident attitude is true i think....one time i went into nordstrom wearing my sweats and a tank top with my burberry bag to look at some jeans..all of the SA's ignored me..i was like wtf..so i just left. Then i came back again wearing some nicer clothes, and my dior bag, and almost all of the SA's that were free came by and said hi and offered their service. It's weird..i just play along with it and acted snobby. heheh

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChristina
errr..somehow I'm LOL now though :/

anyhow...I HATE HATE going into the LV store unless I was going to buy something. The SA there act like you need to buy something to pay them back for the time that they spent on you..hate it there..thank god im not into LV..but my sister is :/ I LOVE SaksFifth SA in san francisco, all of them are soooo nice, even though some are somewhat "snooty" but snooty in a funny kind of way.

The whole dressing nice and having a confident attitude is true i think....one time i went into nordstrom wearing my sweats and a tank top with my burberry bag to look at some jeans..all of the SA's ignored me..i was like wtf..so i just left. Then i came back again wearing some nicer clothes, and my dior bag, and almost all of the SA's that were free came by and said hi and offered their service. It's weird..i just play along with it and acted snobby. heheh
ohh you're in SF too? Hi!!

07-12-2005
scenester

on a trip to rome last week, i noticed that the sales people at gucci had a total attitude problem. It somehow makes u want to buy something to prove a point... maybe that's their tactic???
I also often find Hermes store staff have a problem with doing their job too.
omg... and i went into the bally store just as this chatty american couple were leaving; anyways, after they left i overheard the sales assistants bitching about the couple! SO NOT ON!
The LV store's staff were actually very friendly and the fendi store staff were by far the nicest, most helpful and without attitude.

so there's my 2 cents worth

07-12-2005
backstage pass

Yeah, some SAs are really snotty ... so just ignore them! I just enter the store and if they welcome me that's fine and if they ignore me, I look for one who's nicer and ask them to help me.

Most SAs at the LV store in my city are quite nice ... except for one who ended up leaving anyway!

07-12-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruki
oh man I wish I could receive this kind of "service" from the Asian girl who works at Balenciaga in new york

07-12-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuvielberen
Hmm...my rule for that is...if I buy something, I don't always hang up the other clothes I've tried on. If I don't buy anything, then I make sure to hang everything back up neatly.

I suspect most SAs don't mind spending a few minutes folding clothes in exchange for a nice commission.

And if an SA spoke sharply to me and told me to put something back, I'm sure I would be so startled I'd drop it!

On another note:

And...

It's always a good idea to dress up when you're shopping, sad as that seems. But if you're dressed fashionably, the SAs then assume you're interested in fashion and might buy something, unlike the 90% of folks who just come in and paw the merchandise.
I'm the same way about hanging things back up ... and it comes directly from my own experience as an SA back in the day.

I don't get embarrassed if I'm recognized when shopping, but I do get embarrassed when they recognize me like that at the library

Shopping is def one of the major things I get dolled up for. It's unfortunate but necessary.

As far as "special service" ... I would certainly regard this as a service flaw. I had a male hairstylist cross the line, and there was no tip and no return visit to the salon. Ick ... But hey, I'm not a guy :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores