How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanne@Nov 3 2004, 04:19 PM
Some years ago I recieved an invitation to preview YSL's new collection.
I probably got the invite because I had bought a dress the season before, anyways..
dumb as a doorknob..I went there dressed in nothing inparticular..
and there was staff enough for individual attention, champagne, sushi ..the works and two young models modeling the collection.
As soon as I arrived one of the staff personel approached me and informed me (very politely)
that today they were having a special pre-showing of their new collection, and I sensed he told me this
because he thought I was a tourist that had just wandered in from the street..(or too young and poor to be a typical customer)
and didn't have anything to do there..so I just looked at him and said:

"I know, I got the invite" PRICELESS
[snapback]416776[/snapback]
indeed

03-11-2004
yes

i used to feel like they were looking down on me when i was about 13 or 14

now they kiss my ***
i think when they realise you know 10x more about fashion than they do, they back off totally.

03-11-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanne@Nov 3 2004, 04:19 PM
I probably got the invite because I had bought a dress the season before, anyways..
and there was staff enough for individual attention, champagne, sushi ..the works and two young models modeling the collection.
As soon as I arrived one of the staff personel approached me and informed me (very politely)
that today they were having a special pre-showing of their new collection, and I sensed he told me this
because he thought I was a tourist that had just wandered in from the street..(or too young and poor to be a typical customer)

that's brilliant!

I kinda get intimidated walking into higher-end stores sometimes too, if I'm alone...especially in NYC, for some reason I'm so intimidated by that city and its people...maybe it's because I'm young and still being supported by my parents, I don't have the kind of consumer confidence that comes with being financially independent and sure of getting what you want...it's better when I'm in Hong Kong because at least I'm one of them, I don't have much problems going to high-end stores there even if I'm not buying anything.

04-11-2004
I loved you

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Nov 4 2004, 07:04 AM
i used to feel like they were looking down on me when i was about 13 or 14

now they kiss my ***
i think when they realise you know 10x more about fashion than they do, they back off totally.
[snapback]416861[/snapback]
I hope to do that one day...

04-11-2004
V.I.P.

ahh hanne that's absolutely brilliant...
i used to be rather intimidated...especially after an incident at the versace store in nyc a few years ago ( never going back to that place again). my mom and i went in there after a day of shopping at all the high end boutiques up and down and around 5th but this complete JERK kept coming up to me and harassing me, saying "UMMM...can i HELP you with something?" and i'd politely said no thank you and he would keep coming back and would NOT leave me alone...
i guess now i just pick and choose my 'battles' now...with some of them you just have to be a little more firm...but still, there are those who will be relentless...or just disrespectfully dismissive. i just wonder how salespeople like that would feel if they were given the same treatment? esp since theyr'e the ones SELLING the merchandise, not BUYING it...

04-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by meowmix@Nov 4 2004, 07:08 AM
ahh hanne that's absolutely brilliant...
i used to be rather intimidated...especially after an incident at the versace store in nyc a few years ago ( never going back to that place again). my mom and i went in there after a day of shopping at all the high end boutiques up and down and around 5th but this complete JERK kept coming up to me and harassing me, saying "UMMM...can i HELP you with something?" and i'd politely said no thank you and he would keep coming back and would NOT leave me alone...
i guess now i just pick and choose my 'battles' now...with some of them you just have to be a little more firm...but still, there are those who will be relentless...or just disrespectfully dismissive. i just wonder how salespeople like that would feel if they were given the same treatment? esp since theyr'e the ones SELLING the merchandise, not BUYING it...
[snapback]417526[/snapback]
OT: Are you Russian? (referring to your avatar pic.)

04-11-2004
backstage pass

Don't pay the workers at Bloomies, Saks or Neimans any mind. Surprisingly I have always received excellent service at the Bloomies and Saks in NYC...including phone calls with pre-sale info, etc.

When they catch an attitude, just remind yourself that their punishment is being in a job that they most likely hate to the bone......and are rewarded on average very little. Note: this isn't to say you are looking down upon them, I have lots of respect for retail workers....but some of these folks at shops like Barneys or the boutiques in Soho swear they are working the catwalks of Bryant Park instead of selling clothes.......

04-11-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by lovespell@Nov 3 2004, 12:32 AM
Oh, and I thought I might add something else. I work as a sales associate at Herbergers, a department store OWNED BY SAKS. It is drilled into us that you never judge customers, and are always helpful wether or not they buy things. I don't work on commission, but I am always polite and helpful to our customers. I went into Saks thinking that it would be the same, but even more so since it is a high end department store.
[snapback]415955[/snapback]
Herberger's! Dude, I had no idea they were owned by Saks! I used to buy stuff from Herberger's sometimes when I was in high-school. They have good sales and they sure used to have nice, cute stuff. I'm sure they still do. If they still carry Byer brand, they have cute stuff in the Jr. department. I got my dress for homecoming dance my senior year there.

I like a lot of the middle-market department stores like Herbergers and Jones, as well as the cheaper ones like Kohls and Gordmans. Often shops like those will carry basically the same stuff as the high-end store, just with out the name brand and the high price tag.

front row

I'm sorry you had to have that experiance.....I'm glad you sent the email, and hopefully you will get a gift certificate out of it! I never thought of that, I am going to start complaining more
Anyway, if you don't mind my asking what did you tell them in the email? Let us know what they say, and more important, do you get any free stuff?

V.I.P.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon a new designer boutique within a local department store. Actually, I think it's the first and only place that sells real designer men's clothing in Kansas City, so I'm excited. Anyhow, the salesmen are really, really nice and very helpful. One guy talked with me about designers for about fifteen minutes, found tons of stuff in my size, and even took down and dismantled a manican so I could try on the jacket it was wearing.

Before I found this treasure (somehow spotted "PRADA" on a faraway window display full of Prada), I was browsing around a middle-end department store that sells stuff like Seven jeans and Marc New York. These salespeople were unbelievably snobby for reasons I'll never comprehend. I was the only customer in the store, and there were literally at least ten salespeople standing around near the front of the store. Not one of them said anything to me the entire time. They just stared at me. For ten minutes. My sweater alone cost twice as much as anything there, and they all looked down at me like I wasn't good enough for their store.

05-11-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 5 2004, 12:05 PM
Yesterday, I stumbled upon a new designer boutique within a local department store. Actually, I think it's the first and only place that sells real designer men's clothing in Kansas City, so I'm excited. Anyhow, the salesmen are really, really nice and very helpful. One guy talked with me about designers for about fifteen minutes, found tons of stuff in my size, and even took down and dismantled a manican so I could try on the jacket it was wearing.

Before I found this treasure (somehow spotted "PRADA" on a faraway window display full of Prada), I was browsing around a middle-end department store that sells stuff like Seven jeans and Marc New York. These salespeople were unbelievably snobby for reasons I'll never comprehend. I was the only customer in the store, and there were literally at least ten salespeople standing around near the front of the store. Not one of them said anything to me the entire time. They just stared at me. For ten minutes. My sweater alone cost twice as much as anything there, and they all looked down at me like I wasn't good enough for their store.
[snapback]419023[/snapback]
What shops were these, Alex? Hook a fellow Kansas Citian up!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Nov 5 2004, 09:03 PM
What shops were these, Alex? Hook a fellow Kansas Citian up!
[snapback]419904[/snapback]
Ha! I knew you'd ask. Mark Shale (Country Club Plaza) is the store full of extremely boring, middle-line stuff and snooty sales staff. And Halls (Country Club Plaza) now carries Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Just Cavalli ( ), and a bunch of other stuff. The guy said they were about to expand more and took a note of my suggestions for a bunch of other designers (especially Helmut Lang). So, it oughta be quite nice within the next few months. I'm guessing the women's section is about the same. There's women's Prada for sure, since the Prada window display is right outside the women's part of the store. I'm pretty sure the Halls Crown Center doesn't have anything like this, so I wouldn't bother looking there unless you live really close.

06-11-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanne@Nov 3 2004, 11:19 AM

too funny.

06-11-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 6 2004, 01:21 AM
Ha! I knew you'd ask. Mark Shale (Country Club Plaza) is the store full of extremely boring, middle-line stuff and snooty sales staff. And Halls (Country Club Plaza) now carries Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Just Cavalli ( ), and a bunch of other stuff. The guy said they were about to expand more and took a note of my suggestions for a bunch of other designers (especially Helmut Lang). So, it oughta be quite nice within the next few months. I'm guessing the women's section is about the same. There's women's Prada for sure, since the Prada window display is right outside the women's part of the store. I'm pretty sure the Halls Crown Center doesn't have anything like this, so I wouldn't bother looking there unless you live really close.
[snapback]420145[/snapback]
Yeah, the Plaza is close enough for me. I go down there for people-watching from time to time, but I had never been in Halls. I don't think I have ever been in Mark Shale, either. Mostly I go to the Plaza for people-watching, and for the cheese shop. The Better Cheddar rocks my socks off.

The only thing I ever go to Crown Center for is to Cy Rudnik's fabrics. That place is beyond freakin' awesome.

Actually Crown Center and the Plaza are reasonably close for me. I can bike to Crown Center or the Plaza. I live in the Old Northeast, off of Independence & Hardesty, so anything in the city proper is "close enough" for me. I used to live down in Westport, so pretty much anything north of Brookside and south of Cliff Drive is familiar to me. It's crap like Zona Rosa that is way the hell too far out for me to bother with. I had to go up there last Saturday to deliver a dress to a client and I got so damn lost, I had to call her from a gas-station payphone and tell her to come meet me at the Total off of Barry Rd and I29!

Granted I would only go in looking. I can't afford stuff like Dolce & Gabbana, and Prada, and frankly, I don't like Prada anyhow. Her stuff looks like stuff I could make up using my fine collection of 1960s Simplicity patterns!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Nov 6 2004, 09:10 AM
Granted I would only go in looking. I can't afford stuff like Dolce & Gabbana, and Prada, and frankly, I don't like Prada anyhow. Her stuff looks like stuff I could make up using my fine collection of 1960s Simplicity patterns!
[snapback]420463[/snapback]
Yeah, I know. But at least you could go in and study the clothes up close and personal.

Zona Rosa is just a replica of Town Center Plaza. Kinda like Oak Park Mall is a replica of the Country Club Plaza, shop-wise. Pretty pathetic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores