How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

I've also had an oddly good experience with SA's in London. My one complaint though is that I find British sa's in general (from a small upscale boutique to a candy shop) don't say hello or thanks when you enter/leave the store. Maybe it's just a Canada thing (totally possible) but I'm really used to that.

03-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
clueless, i don't think a RL perfume and a white polo would really be an indicator that you're a long time loyal customer to RL...
i don't think SAs are really necessarily even impressed with what you've got from their store...
i had an unsatisfactory experience at RL when i was there with my mom (although no giggling or sneering, they were simply being rudely unattentive) and this one girl would just stand behind the counter and say "um we don't have any more in stock" until she noticed the bag i was carrying that day and then brightened up perhaps RL service just sucks nationwide
No I guess it doesn't....I don't expect them to be 'impressed', it's just that this was my first snubbing,(a thrilling rite of passage ) I find it weird that it happened when I was wearing something that came from there. I thought they snubbed people who they thought "looked" like they couldn't buy anything, and when someone is wearing something of theirs...I don't know.It was my first snubbing, and I just found it weird. I wear my Ralph perfume everyday because it's my favourite, and I wear my polo a lot cause I love it. As I said, I was treated as wonderfully as I always am in other stores, so I guess they must have just thought I was some try hard label whore....I swear I'm not!

backstage pass

From all the travelling I did Milan has the best service, very friendly and elegant. Singapore comes very close. There's something about it that makes shopping a bit cosy. Paris differs from store to store, although they always greet you. London is so-so, New York same story. I've never had any problems with service at any store, except for a grumpy Prada salesgirl in NYC. Most of the times I see that the less metropolitan a town, the more snobbish the people in the shops haha. Amsterdam is BAD. They must think they are very special, as Edina once said: 'You're just a sales person so drop the attitude.'

Maybe the H&M staff will now become more snobby as well since they sell Lagerfeld .

Last edited by Alura; 03-01-2005 at 07:05 AM.
03-01-2005
V.I.P.

Annals and Yourbestfriend, those are awful stories!!!

03-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
holt renfrew?

my friends mom was looking at a cashmere scarf, then the sales associate said to them

"thats cashmere you know" in the snob/bitch/stick up your *** tone

his mom replied

"does it matter"

she got the bitchiest look back and was refused help
his uncle also got kicked out of the store because they didnt believe he was going to buy anything(he's loaded)
No, not Holts... it was a little place across from Louis Vuitton on Burrard. We left and went to Betsey J around the corner!

Last edited by annals; 03-01-2005 at 08:33 AM.
05-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
of course...
they are just people...with some random job...
they have good days and bad days like anyone...
and they are nice and not so nice...like anyone...

i really wouldn't take anything that happens like that as a sign of the company being a particular way or whatever...it's just that particular person (persons) on that particular day...
I completely agree. It's hard to generalize even if you're comparing the same stores in different cities. I think it really all depends on the individual sales staff, and to some extent, on the store manager, who does influence how the rest of the staff would treat customers.

I agree with the other posters about London customer service. I've found it to be generally good, esp in high end boutiques. But the funny thing is, if you talk to most Brits they would be the first to complain about what they think is really bad service in London!

05-01-2005
V.I.P.

while i was living in FLORENCE, i was getting around on my bycicle; along with 4 more posh girlfriends.
we stopped at all the shops/boutiques on the main shopping street and "parked" right outside their shops. they loved us. we were famous after a few days. "the posh girls with their flip flops and bycicles are coming"..... no joke..
they all realised we were serious shoppers....

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
13-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespell
Just sent out an email to them. Wonder what the response will be like...
Maybe you should write a nice letter, on nice letterhead and paper and mail it to corporate. That has helped me in times past with companies. If they see that you are professional they will have to be also.

Good luck.

13-01-2005
V.I.P.

I've never really had a bad experience at a high end store but its funny my girlfriend and I were shopping one time at the beverly center Lady Footlocker and we walked into the store and were purchasing some socks....the SAs didn't even greet us or anything...they were back in the stock room chatting while the store was left unattended. Then when we brought the items up to the register the SA rang us up didn't even speak and then just gave my friend her change and walked away...didn't say thank you or anything. Both of us are avid shoppers and take customer service into account when spending our money at stores...so we both said something about this and the SA had the nerve to get an attitude with us as if she did nothing wrong. My friend made a comment like "honey you are working at Lady Footlocker....I have better things to do with my life than to argue with a Cashier (utterly funny) at Lady Footlocker, have a nice day).

13-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taitai
I completely agree. It's hard to generalize even if you're comparing the same stores in different cities. I think it really all depends on the individual sales staff, and to some extent, on the store manager, who does influence how the rest of the staff would treat customers.

I agree with the other posters about London customer service. I've found it to be generally good, esp in high end boutiques. But the funny thing is, if you talk to most Brits they would be the first to complain about what they think is really bad service in London!
is it that "Luxury Bags" store?? yea they can be a bit stand-off ish. The sales associates at Holts/LV/Chanel are all really nice to me though. I think it's because they think I'm a Japanese tourist hehe

13-01-2005
backstage pass

I find the associates the bloor st. holt's really snobby and stuck up. The associates at louis vuitton across the street are really helpful despite the fact my mom was tagging along and looked extremely out of place and i appear like i should be shopping at gap kids still

backstage pass

I get intimidated going into high end stores as well, the trick is to not show it...they can smell fear.

I just go in with a high and mighty attitude, I'm polite when they talk to me, but generally I am standoffish.

I usually am very put together when I shop though, which helps, though I really should stop shopping in heels.

15-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara
I get intimidated going into high end stores as well, the trick is to not show it...they can smell fear.
so true!

scenester

I hate shopping in luxury stores. As much as I want to browse in Saks, I walk right past it (that's in my husband's best interest. ) I've never actually encountered a rude SA there, but I just feel awkward. Bloomies (which I don't consider to be luxury/high-end) on the other hand cracks me up. Most of their SAs have major attitudes, but I think that's b/c they're young.

It's sad, but I get dressed up and wear heels if I know I'm going shopping at a luxury store. I don't know why I torture myself so...it's not like I get more for my dollar when I do that.

16-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla m.
while i was living in FLORENCE, i was getting around on my bycicle; along with 4 more posh girlfriends.
we stopped at all the shops/boutiques on the main shopping street and "parked" right outside their shops. they loved us. we were famous after a few days. "the posh girls with their flip flops and bycicles are coming"..... no joke..
they all realised we were serious shoppers....
that's funny! I spent lots of evenings in Gerard and Gerard Loft, and we always saw a woman in fishnets and high heels on her bicycle, she was wonderful! of course, all the Italians called her the "crazy Englishwoman". I thought she was very cool

I find sales assistants all over the world to be the same - I really don't think it's to do with a particular city, more a particular person in a certain mood.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores