How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2005
front row

your stories remind me of that lady in "under the Tuscan Sun". hehe. I really like that movie.

19-01-2005
front row

word. not to say i know more about fashion than them necessarily, but i've definitely gotten my *** kissed at the san fran saks by SAs enamored with my python fendi . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
i used to feel like they were looking down on me when i was about 13 or 14

now they kiss my ***
i think when they realise you know 10x more about fashion than they do, they back off totally.

21-01-2005
rising star

i got talked to at the store before. especially at LOUIS VUITTON! i was vacationing with my family in Europe and we stopped at the Venice LV for some shopping. So my mom was checking out a purse and the SA was helping her and then i saw something that caught my eye so i went over and started posing it in my hand and it looked pretty good. and then the bitch came over and was all like, um if you need help we will help you! i was soo offended. my mom was soo pissed she just said, "thanks! but im going to another store" so we left. yep. its not like we couldnt' afford it. we were on vacation anything that we like we will get. thats why we go right?!? so when we got to the LV in Italy (a big mall place) my mom got the purse she wanted and the sales guy was soo nice to us, he let us try almost anything, hehe. he ran up 3 flights of stairs just to get the purse and was quick about it. o yeah i got the bag i was looking at too. bitch!

10-07-2005
backstage pass

I find the older women in luxury stores are more snobbish than the younger ones. I was in Holt's today and i tried on a Burberry poncho. An older SA came over to my mother and i, trying to "help" us. I adoreded the little poncho and the lady is like "it's a lot of money you know." Your point? Just because i dressed casually doesnt mean you can look down upon me. I seriously condsidered purchasing it but the lady put me right off. I'll take my business elsewhere.

front row

Abercrombie and Hollister Luxury Stores!

10-07-2005
tfs star

the strangest experience was boucheron in paris, where they have to buzz you in two sets of gates to get in... the first thing they ask is "do you want champagne or water"-- i would immediately feel indebted so i said no. i was only there to look at sunglasses and i suppose they were used to people dropping serious cash on jewelry, so they were sort of like, "sunglasses, we sell sunglasses?" i described exactly what model i was looking for, which you can't get in the states. they dug it up, i tried them on, loved them, but was guilt ridden by the $500 euro price so i had to extracate myself from three bored hoity toity sales people that i felt were judging me for not buying diamonds. there was no one else in the store for the whole half hour ordeal.

12-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by christilynn
Abercrombie and Hollister Luxury Stores!
i was treated badly at an abercrombie once. i walked in and the sales associate looked up at me and looked down immdediatley and continued folding her jeans, the guy at the register was just spacing off. i don't know why it irritated me so much. i wasn't going to buy anything there, i was just killing time at the mall while i was waiting for my work to start, it's not like they knew that though. i was just really ticked that i was ignored. i just kept thinking to myself "you workers suck! say hi! something! are you alive!?!?"

i think this is funny because i hate getting pestered at stores (i don't mind a hi how are you, but it can go overboard), yet when i get ignored i'm like "whaaaa?"

12-07-2005
Diamond

I will never understand stuck up sales associates. I don't care how high-end the store is - they're still working retail

~Madeleine Albright
13-07-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
I will never understand stuck up sales associates. I don't care how high-end the store is - they're still working retail
EXACTLY!!!!

13-07-2005
kit
tfs star

It REALLY surprised me , but the HERMES boutique , on King Street in Manchester , UK , has the most pleasant , non-stuck-up , sales assistants that I have ever come across in a truly upmarket luxury shop . They put the uppety Louis Vuitton SAs at the Selfridges , Exchange Square branch , to absolute shame .

I expected QUITE the contrary , but I was truly surprised by their eagerness to help , coupled with the ability to leave one to browse , unhindered .

Wish I could go in there more than once every blue moon !!!!!

13-07-2005
Swim Upstream

I would endorse the staff at Dover street and also Pollyanna. They are the only people who I have found try to understand your style. Worst - too many to name. Mui Mui bond street, marni sloane street, cruise in glasgow & edinburgh. The biggest failure of sales staff I find is that they have no interest in or knowledge of their product. Imagine if I knew nothing about what I am supposed to do for a living...not very clever is it?

13-07-2005
no photos, no photos

helena--the Marni store here is no different.....when I bought my pants I had them folded up with the hanger on top of them, sitting on the counter and Soft actually had to tell the girl that I was buying them

13-07-2005
Swim Upstream

the girls in london just stand around looking pretty (which they undoubtedly do) but when it came to actually helping me they just looked bored. i find sa's in London very rude on the whole anyway.

13-07-2005
no photos, no photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten

Not that I feel the need to defend my chosen CAREER.......but there is nothing about retail to roll your eyes at......it is a very lucrative profession

.......stuck up sales associates are usually people that typically don't care about the job in the first place.

13-07-2005
no photos, no photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
the girls in london just stand around looking pretty (which they undoubtedly do) but when it came to actually helping me they just looked bored. i find sa's in London very rude on the whole anyway.

True Marni story:

I took a friend back to get a pair of pants that didn't work for me, but I thought he'd like. While he was trying on another customer came out looked at herself in the mirror, picked up another skirt, came out in it, tried the first one on again....still nobody talking to her....I told her that I liked the first one so much better. We chatted for a bit about the great stuff for Fall and how she loved the line and how my friend Soft bought "this" dress last week....I left before she purchased but in addition to the skirt that I told her I liked, she had one of the big bags, a dress, and a pair of shoes on the counter and was still having to ASK an associate to find her another size

in the mean time one of the girls was telling me about how they don't put everything on the floor because the collection is so large......they still had Summer sale merch in the back. The whole time all I was thinking was, "hello, do you think you could show it to me and my friend, and the girl with the stack of things on the counter?"

Last edited by purechris; 13-07-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores