How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2004
front row

I had my first trip to NYC and it was amazing. I loved loved loved it. But, my shopping trip to Saks Fifth Avenue was not that great. I was seriously snubbed by the sales associates. They did not smile at me, ask if I need help or anything. They hardly even looked at me. I watched people after people get assistance, but I was totally ignored. I went in with 3 goals. To by a dress for my birthday, Chanel foundation and Pucci shoes. I bought nothing. By the time I TRIED to find a dress and shoes, I was so turned off by the place that I skipped the make up counter and left. The store was amazing, the clothes were amazing, but the atmoshpere was not. The whole reason I went to the store was because I wanted personal attention, that whole helpful attitude, ect. I thought that was the whole point of shopping at those stores. Otherwise I would have shopped online. I had the money. A couple thousand to spend, actually. Why would other people's money be good enough, but not mine? I watched a rude women in velour sweats come in, try on a million things, throw minor hissy fits and buy nothing. She treated them like crap, yet they swarmed around her. I was actually looking to SPEND money. I mean, it's not like I came in looking like a scruffy homeless woman. I was wearing paperdenimandcloth jeans, ugg boots, a black turtleneck, diamond studs, hair in a ponytail, low key make up.

So what is the deal? How do I go to a place like that and get the great service I deserve, and thought I would be getting? So now I have all this money that I've worked forever saving up, but no dress. Is there some secret I'm missing? I honestly thought of sending them an email about my experience, and explaining my situation (politely, of course), just to see how they respond.

What would you do?

03-11-2004
V.I.P.

if you were snubbed that badly then maybe you should report it...i've never had that experience at the saks in nyc, but you absolutely do deserve the best service and attention... its unfortunate but it happens so often though did you try going to bergdorfs, barneys or henri bendel?

03-11-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by meowmix@Nov 3 2004, 12:15 AM
if you were snubbed that badly then maybe you should report it...i've never had that experience at the saks in nyc, but you absolutely do deserve the best service and attention... its unfortunate but it happens so often though did you try going to bergdorfs, barneys or henri bendel?
[snapback]415947[/snapback]

Yes, I think I'm going to send them an email about it. I didn't have enough time to go anywhere else, since I was only in the city for a short while. I was depending on doing my shopping at Saks, so I didn't plan for enough time to go elsewhere.

03-11-2004
front row

Oh, and I thought I might add something else. I work as a sales associate at Herbergers, a department store OWNED BY SAKS. It is drilled into us that you never judge customers, and are always helpful wether or not they buy things. I don't work on commission, but I am always polite and helpful to our customers. I went into Saks thinking that it would be the same, but even more so since it is a high end department store.

03-11-2004
offline.

I avoid going into higher end stores like that just because of the way the sales associates are...

I always feel very intimidated by them... and they always act snotty. Hello... you don't own Barney's... why are you ACTING like you do? You are WORKING FOR THEM?

but I always appreciate a kind and polite sales associate... they are few and far between.

03-11-2004
front row

Just sent out an email to them. Wonder what the response will be like...

03-11-2004
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Nov 3 2004, 12:39 AM
I avoid going into higher end stores like that just because of the way the sales associates are...

[snapback]415959[/snapback]
I tend to be the same way. It's not every neseccarily the fact that I get ignored, but just that they annoy me.

But I would definitely report this. That is just wrong. I wouldn't hesitate for one sec to send them an e-mail, or even to call personally and speak with a manager. It may be more effective if you send an e-mail to somebody higher-up, however.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and what the reponse is

front row

I know how you feel and it sucks. I don't know why they act so stuck up. How much do they make anyway?! I dress really casually with jeans and a tee, so when I go in there, the don't even look at me.

03-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by lovespell@Nov 2 2004, 11:48 PM
I had my first trip to NYC and it was amazing. I loved loved loved it. But, my shopping trip to Saks Fifth Avenue was not that great. I was seriously snubbed by the sales associates. They did not smile at me, ask if I need help or anything. They hardly even looked at me. I watched people after people get assistance, but I was totally ignored. I went in with 3 goals. To by a dress for my birthday, Chanel foundation and Pucci shoes. I bought nothing. By the time I TRIED to find a dress and shoes, I was so turned off by the place that I skipped the make up counter and left. The store was amazing, the clothes were amazing, but the atmoshpere was not. The whole reason I went to the store was because I wanted personal attention, that whole helpful attitude, ect. I thought that was the whole point of shopping at those stores. Otherwise I would have shopped online. I had the money. A couple thousand to spend, actually. Why would other people's money be good enough, but not mine? I watched a rude women in velour sweats come in, try on a million things, throw minor hissy fits and buy nothing. She treated them like crap, yet they swarmed around her. I was actually looking to SPEND money. I mean, it's not like I came in looking like a scruffy homeless woman. I was wearing paperdenimandcloth jeans, ugg boots, a black turtleneck, diamond studs, hair in a ponytail, low key make up.

So what is the deal? How do I go to a place like that and get the great service I deserve, and thought I would be getting? So now I have all this money that I've worked forever saving up, but no dress. Is there some secret I'm missing? I honestly thought of sending them an email about my experience, and explaining my situation (politely, of course), just to see how they respond.

What would you do?
[snapback]415908[/snapback]
why did you go there in the first place? they are much better options in nyc.

03-11-2004
Adorable illusion

I can understand how you feel. I think you get them everywhere.

03-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i think the sales help in nyc stores is generally appalling except in a few of the smaller boutiques where you get more personal attention...

it's the same everywhere...salespeople don't get paid all that well and don't really care that much about their jobs... i wouldn't really take it so personally...
those people are human too... if they're having a bad day that has nothing to do with you... but you may feel the effects...

except of course when they are on comission...in which case you can't get rid of them..which i find even more annoying...

if you reported it...they might send you a gift certificate...let us know if they respond...

03-11-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 3 2004, 12:20 PM
i think the sales help in nyc stores is generally appalling except in a few of the smaller boutiques where you get more personal attention...

it's the same everywhere...salespeople don't get paid all that well and don't really care that much about their jobs... i wouldn't really take it so personally...
those people are human too... if they're having a bad day that has nothing to do with you... but you may feel the effects...

except of course when they are on comission...in which case you can't get rid of them..which i find even more annoying...

if you reported it...they might send you a gift certificate...let us know if they respond...
[snapback]416418[/snapback]
Even when I went to woodbury commons the sales ***.'s were very snotty... and acted better than me... I was super scared to even go into the Chanel boutique...

Just their looks... c'mon! It's an outlet, I'm not gonna wear my couture ballgown to an outlet!

03-11-2004
V.I.P.

omg I know it's like that at Neiman Marcus or anywhere in the Galleria in Houston. I'm like gosh you don't own the store you just WORK here... They act all high and mighty it gets on my nerves

V.I.P.

Here's a thread for ya. If you get into it a page or two, it's pretty much the same thread as this.

03-11-2004
Storm & Sommer

Some years ago I recieved an invitation to preview YSL's new collection.
I probably got the invite because I had bought a dress the season before, anyways..
dumb as a doorknob..I went there dressed in nothing inparticular..
and there was staff enough for individual attention, champagne, sushi ..the works and two young models modeling the collection.
As soon as I arrived one of the staff personel approached me and informed me (very politely)
that today they were having a special pre-showing of their new collection, and I sensed he told me this
because he thought I was a tourist that had just wandered in from the street..(or too young and poor to be a typical customer)
and didn't have anything to do there..so I just looked at him and said:

"I know, I got the invite" PRICELESS

pinterest : hanneonpin
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
luxury, shopping, stores