How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2004
windowshopping

hi,
I'm new to the board, but I was hoping someone would still help me. I'm Mara, I'm 17, and I've just moved to Canada (Ottawa to be exact) from Stolkholm - I really need to get some new clothes, but I have no idea which stores are good.

Can anyone please name some good places, or some online stores which ship to Canada?

Thankyou so much!

09-09-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mara_777@Sep 8 2004, 10:25 PM
hi,
I'm new to the board, but I was hoping someone would still help me. I'm Mara, I'm 17, and I've just moved to Canada (Ottawa to be exact) from Stolkholm - I really need to get some new clothes, but I have no idea which stores are good.

Can anyone please name some good places, or some online stores which ship to Canada?

Thankyou so much!
[snapback]360249[/snapback]
Oh, oh. You are toast. Better move back to Europe .
Seriously, I'm not sure. I know the big chain store is Holt Renfrew (or whatever it's name is). I would think you'd find more good store in Toronto than Ottawa. We have some Canadian members here and they are always complaining about the lack of retail in Canada.

BTW, it wouldn't hurt if you posted your style, price range, etc. So we are sure whether to refer you to Prada or H&M .

09-09-2004
windowshopping

thanks for replying, faust

since I'm 17 and still in school, my price range is pretty low - but I am willing to spend more on major items, like coats, etc. (well, $200-$300, lol, even though it doesn't sound like a lot)

I'm usually into straight forward clothes - low rise jeans, ankle boots, trench coats, tshirts - not exactly preppy, but a bit edgy.

I really like mixing vintage clothes with newer ones, like a velvet jacket with jeans and a simple tshirt or something like that.

I don't really know what else to say - I'm 5'4, size 0-2, so if anyone could give me some help I'd be really thankful

10-09-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mara_777@Sep 9 2004, 07:29 PM
thanks for replying, faust

since I'm 17 and still in school, my price range is pretty low - but I am willing to spend more on major items, like coats, etc. (well, $200-$300, lol, even though it doesn't sound like a lot)

I'm usually into straight forward clothes - low rise jeans, ankle boots, trench coats, tshirts - not exactly preppy, but a bit edgy.

I really like mixing vintage clothes with newer ones, like a velvet jacket with jeans and a simple tshirt or something like that.

I don't really know what else to say - I'm 5'4, size 0-2, so if anyone could give me some help I'd be really thankful
[snapback]361385[/snapback]

Well, Canadian members, would help this young lady out please?

10-09-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

Yeah Holt Renfew is the CDN equivalent of Neiman's I suppose. I was actually just in ottawa yesterday. how odd. Anyway I would suggest a combination of vintage (Salvation Army, Value Village and local second hand shops) mixed with mall stuff like Below the Belt for jeans and then look around ottawa for local boutiques. The best mall in Ottawa is supposed to be the one on Rideau Canal. Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas.....Ontarians?

13-09-2004
windowshopping

thanks so much - I'll be sure to check out the mall at Rideau Canal. Although I'm having trouble finding Below the Belt here, do they have a website?
once more, thankyou

14-09-2004
backstage pass

Below the Belt is really mass produced cheap stuff, like parasuco, buffalo, etc. Do a search on google for a website, but it's not a Holt Renfrew, I'll tell ya that.

15-09-2004
V.I.P.

Despite the fact that I lived in Ottawa for two years, I'm afraid I can't really help you out... I wasn't very interested in fashion or shopping or fashion at the time, so I don't remember much. Seriously, if you ever have the chance to get into Toronto, I would take it.
Ottawa does have the Byward market though, which is kind of tourist-y and imitation bohemian. They have a lot of tie-die dresses and silver jewelry there. Good vegetables though... However, there is a mall (the Eaton Center, I think?) right in the area. It's across from the art school with the totem pole. Oh! And very practical, but they have the most amazing bridal store there, Justina McCaffrey's. What else... umm, a beading store which is addictive. I remember going to buy loads and never actually making anything.
Honestly, though, Ottawa's mostly made up of strip malls and identical box stores. I remember going into the Jacob when I was there, and that was about it.
Good luck to you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
canada, stores