How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2007
the crying of humanity

I visited Barneys New York today and was appalled at the service I received (or lack thereof). I don't expect the royal treatment, since I'm sure my appearance turns most off, but a simple "hello" and/or "do you need help with anything?" would have been nice. I felt like I was being watched the entire time I perused the store.

MaxMara, on the other hand, was great, and as a result made me feel awful because I knew I couldn't afford anything.

03-09-2007
rising star

I'm sure some of you have seen Absolutely Fabulous? You know the episode where Edina goes into the gallery and get a very cold response from the woman at the front desk? and when Edina is finally greeted properly by the art dealer she says to the woman...

"You only work in a shop y'know, you can drop the attitiude".

Go for that line...

Or ask the SA's if they had a hand in designing any of the clothes on sale or is all they do is sell? and THEN ask why the attitude....

i could imagine a designer having an attitiude but the sales staff of a shop? why?!?!

21-09-2007
front row

Neiman Marcus San Francisco

I donít have any real horror stories like some of you, but overall, their customer service sucks. You walk in, they are extremely snooty and love to turn their noses up at you, especially at the skin care counters. Not so much the younger female or male SAs (many of them are very sweet), its the women who are 40>.

Their shoe department seems pretty plentiful, but when you try to find your size, they donít have it; even if itís a new shoe or recent shipment. I wanted to try 6 pairs of shoes and only one had my size. No one offered to check the other stores either. I was coming from a job interview and had to go back to work soon, so it wasnt like I had all-day to go to the boutiques.

21-09-2007
Power to the 99%

^ The Neiman's shoe people can be snotty here too. There is one good SA in the shoe dept I go to, so I make sure she's going to be there when I need something from NM. They're on commission, and I certainly don't want to give it to any of the catty men. Now that we have primo Nordstrom's & Barneys I haven't needed anything from there in awhile

Try staring right back at the skin care ladies & ask how they're doing today. Either that, or I can do a mighty fine ignore as I make a beeline to what I came for. They are probably dying of jealousy over your skin I have noticed that the women at the smallest NM outpost I have been to are by far the snottiest. They have nothing else to do At the bigger stores they are actually selling things to people and don't have time to "evaluate" everyone who walks in the door. All that judging, mighty bad karma--they are very likely to reincarnate on the other end of that stare if you ask me

21-09-2007
front row

^^

That’s so funny! The NM here is plenty busy most of the time (one of the highest sales volume on the west coast, I heard) and they are still snotty! The couple working the Jo Malone counter was super sweet and helpful though. I cant wait until we get Barneys here. For now on its Saks, Nordstrom’s and Bloomingdales (I still have gift cards I need to use)

ETA: I think Barneys's is already here according to this
http://www.barneys.com/b/staticPage..../&fName=stores

No one told me! LOL

Last edited by baRose; 21-09-2007 at 05:49 PM.
29-09-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
When I got into the YSL store, there were 3 SA's who stared me and my mom down. I even said "hi" and smiled to them, but they didn't move a muscle in their whole body. (I'm a SA myself and my mom is a buyer, and where we live we always greet people when they enter the store.) We walked through the store and the SA's just stood there staring and didn't say a thing. I didn't even feel like taking another look at the bags and we just left.
Sorry to hear that, everyone in YSL Bond Street gives great service from my experience, very polite and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
So they lost a sale, but what do they care? I went to Prada instead and bought a great bag there. Hah.
Last time I went into Prada service wasn't exactly exceptional, yes there were quite a few customers but all the SAs seemed like they were making themselves far too busy to help so I just left.

Bottega Veneta definitely the worst I've experienced, walked in to the sound of the two SAs snickering, asked if they had any umbrellas which I thought was a reasonable question since they do carry rubbish like leather dog bowls (!) and the SA just smiled pityingly and shook his head before looking back over at the other SA to giggle. Ok, so I wasn't dressed amazingly smartly, but didn't exactly look as if I had no intention of buying anything. Didn't even bother to browse for a new bag, will happily take my business to Mulberry instead where service is good :p.

And although other people seem to have found Gucci dissapointing I find them to be very helpful

(These are all experiences in Bond Street shops)

30-09-2007
front row

Experienced awful customer service at the Hermes boutique on Madison Ave yesterday...I came in to request a sample of the new Kelly Caleche perfume and waited too long for service. Sure, it was a busy time in the store, but I was left standing next to the perfume for several minutes without even a greeting from any SA. There were 2 junior SAs that were talking with each other and not doing anything else standing at the belt rack. They kept giving me looks (I was carrying my Birkin) and it was obvious they thought it was fake. I looked over at them for 2 minutes and finally one of them asked if I needed some help. I nodded my head and replied "um, yeah". I asked for a sample of the Kelly caleche perfume and she only gave me one. She was awful...she had no product knowledge, nor did she seem genuinely interested in helping me learn about the perfume itself. If she wasn't the perfume expert, she could have at least referred me to another SA who was.

I've never had luck with good CS at the Madison Ave store...I'm going to try the Wall St. location next time...

30-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allius View Post
I had found a pair of shoes that I liked and tried it on. The worker at bloomingdales had asked, "how do you like them?" so I replied and stated that I didn't like quality of the shoe. The worker said with a snobby tone; "uuuhhh? These shoes are better quality than your outfit"

:furiou s:
wow.... I have not been in any major situations yet but I will say that the people at burberry are very confused.....their working at a store that isnt saks or barneys so why they have the worst attitudes is beyond me.

30-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaou View Post
Experienced awful customer service at the Hermes boutique on Madison Ave yesterday...I came in to request a sample of the new Kelly Caleche perfume and waited too long for service. Sure, it was a busy time in the store, but I was left standing next to the perfume for several minutes without even a greeting from any SA. T...
I recieved the same type of service at Hermes, San Francisco. I was wearing a suit, stockings, pumps, etc coming from an interview and didn't get any attention (except from security ) for about 5 minutes and I was in a hurry. God, I hate to see what type of service I would get wearing jeans a T and my Dansko shoes. Whatever I can buy online, Ill just make my purchases using that method for now on.

Last edited by baRose; 30-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.
04-10-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by baRose View Post
I recieved the same type of service at Hermes, San Francisco. I was wearing a suit, stockings, pumps, etc coming from an interview and didn't get any attention (except from security ) for about 5 minutes and I was in a hurry. God, I hate to see what type of service I would get wearing jeans a T and my Dansko shoes. Whatever I can buy online, Ill just make my purchases using that method for now on.
Oh no, i'm so sorry that you also experienced bad CS at Hermes! I was always under the impression that they were beyond the snotty attitude, but apparently not. Take heart though, because I find this to be the case only in the US. I've received exceptional service at Hermes boutiques in France...the SA's were super professional and actually friendly despite the fact I was a tourist.

04-10-2007
tfs star

EXACTLY! I was there on tuesday and after milling around a while I had to go up to a snooty older sales assoc. to ask for help on a bracelet. She was huffy and unhelpful, so i left without even thinking about buying it! there was NO one in that area of the store...
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaou View Post
Experienced awful customer service at the Hermes boutique on Madison Ave yesterday...I came in to request a sample of the new Kelly Caleche perfume and waited too long for service. Sure, it was a busy time in the store, but I was left standing next to the perfume for several minutes without even a greeting from any SA. There were 2 junior SAs that were talking with each other and not doing anything else standing at the belt rack. They kept giving me looks (I was carrying my Birkin) and it was obvious they thought it was fake. I looked over at them for 2 minutes and finally one of them asked if I needed some help. I nodded my head and replied "um, yeah". I asked for a sample of the Kelly caleche perfume and she only gave me one. She was awful...she had no product knowledge, nor did she seem genuinely interested in helping me learn about the perfume itself. If she wasn't the perfume expert, she could have at least referred me to another SA who was.

I've never had luck with good CS at the Madison Ave store...I'm going to try the Wall St. location next time...

20-10-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETROsexualJ View Post
I've never had poor customer service. You spend the money and enough time in the store and soon the manager will know you on a first name basis and come out just to say "Hi." Even after a mere year in NY I already have a loyal relationships with my sales associates and even then the other ones in the store know not to approach me unless it is to tell me that my associate is off/out at lunch and when they'll be back. At Barneys the associates on the 3rd floor will even hold stuff for me knowing that I'll come back and buy it from my regular guy.
You sound almost as bad as some of these stories on here. A sales associate's job is not to be nice to people who they think will buy something. You can't always judge a book by its cover. Your post comes off very pretentious and I almost get the feeling that you don't really understand quality customer service.

05-08-2008
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
I visited Barneys New York today and was appalled at the service I received (or lack thereof). I don't expect the royal treatment, since I'm sure my appearance turns most off, but a simple "hello" and/or "do you need help with anything?" would have been nice. I felt like I was being watched the entire time I perused the store.

I also had a horrible experience with Barneys but in LA. This was just in their jewelry department, I have heard nothing but good things about their shoe department.

Anyway, I was there with my mom shopping for my birthday present and we had to actively try to get the sale girls attention to open the cases. And then they weren't even helpful once we got their attention. Whatever though, Neimans got the sale because they were too busy chatting about their weekend plans.

05-08-2008
fashion icon

In Australia we have a major department store called David Jones. Well, it's one of the two big department stores and we really on have two. [thank you internet lords for online shopping]. Whenever I go to the city store shoe section, which i must admit is not often, the ladies are complete tools [one physically removed a shoe i had in my hand and placed it back on the table] and the security guard stalks me in an Obvious way. I've now noticed that it's the nice boutiques and luxury stores that are nice and particularly so if you take charge telling them what you're after and want to see.

Last edited by justlooking; 05-08-2008 at 11:40 PM.
08-08-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
I also had a horrible experience with Barneys but in LA. This was just in their jewelry department, I have heard nothing but good things about their shoe department.

Anyway, I was there with my mom shopping for my birthday present and we had to actively try to get the sale girls attention to open the cases. And then they weren't even helpful once we got their attention. Whatever though, Neimans got the sale because they were too busy chatting about their weekend plans.
I just reread my original post and realized it sounded like I visited the Barneys in New York, which I didn't - I was just using the full name of the store. Really, the location I was talking about was in Seattle. I've never heard about the quality of customer service at the store I went to, but it certainly wasn't very good for me.

That's too bad about your trip to Barneys - I completely understand what you said about the employees not being helpful even when you got their attention; it's something that (unfortunately) seems to happen often to me. Anyway, I haven't visited that store since my last post. :p

Tags
customer, service, stores, websites, worst