How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2007
flaunt the imperfection..

Be a successful sale shopper
Be a successful sales shopper
Do...
• Set a budget - and stick to it.
• Repeat this mantra before you enter every shop: I will NOT buy anything that does not fit or flatter me.
• Shop in flat shoes - but carry heels in your bag so you can check hem lengths and proportions.
• Ignore the remnants' bin; if nobody else wants it, why should you?
• Avoid anything that's too fussy: elaborate decorations - bows, frills, flounces, trims - will quickly lose their appeal.
• Check labels for complicated care instructions. You don't want to buy a blouse that needs dry-cleaning every time you wear it.
• Always try clothes on - even if you have to queue
- and carry a small mirror, so you can check your rear view. Does it strain over your shoulders, accentuate your "saddle bags", or pucker around your waist?
Don't...
• Waste time. Being a successful sales shopper requires planning, speed and ruthless decision making, so stake out your favourite shops beforehand and ask a friendly assistant what might be reduced that is perfect for you. Find out where it will be hanging so you can head straight for your target.
• Be seduced by huge price reductions; nothing is a bargain if you cannot wear, or don't even like it.
• Sales shop with a friend; you will either have opposite tastes or end up fighting over the last Chloι shift in a size 12.
• Buy anything that needs altering. It will end up - unaltered and unworn - in a charity shop.
• Shop after a girly lunch - your judgment will be impaired. Better to meet your girlfriends later.
• Experiment. Cashmere polo necks, tailored trousers, trench-coats and little black dresses are always good investments - garish knits are not.
• Buy out of desperation. If you can't find anything you want, save your pennies for the spring collections.

telegraph.co.uk

29-12-2007
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Don't...
• Buy anything that needs altering. It will end up - unaltered and unworn - in a charity shop
I don't agree w/ this.
Sometimes an item of clothing is just a small alteration away from being perfect for you.

29-12-2007
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
• Ignore the remnants' bin; if nobody else wants it, why should you?
because everyone is unique, perhaps? :p

Thanks for the list, I disagree about setting a budget though... I'd rather spend more now on many things.

29-12-2007
flaunt the imperfection..

many of us are more diehard fashion fans..
while most of these dos and donts are intended for the general population...

i agree- i have no problem doing some alterations...

though i have a good friend who is the average trendy shopaholic...
and she has more things than i can count just sitting in her closet for years waiting to be altered!

same with the bargain bins...
i found an amazing top on one rack for only $5.99 becuase no one else who was looking at the rack understood how to wear the garment or thought it was damaged because it had raw edges...

:p

still...
sometimes these lists just get you thinking and inspire you so i still think it's interesting...

*can you imagine dragging an EXTRA pair of shoes around with you all day in your bag>?..

maybe if i was specifically shopping for a party dress or something...
but for sale shopping???..
get real!...

29-12-2007
front row

Quote:
still...
sometimes these lists just get you thinking and inspire you so i still think it's interesting...

I agree. Fun thread, as I consider myself to be a diehard bargain shopaholic :p. Probably the only thing I disagree with is, don't waste time and be ruthless. I'm very patient when I shop and take my time and look everywhere. This especially is true in big stores like Macy's, or outlet stores like Off 5th & Nordies Rack. I've found the best things in the most unlikely places. However, if I'm boutique shopping, I can usually tell within the first 30 seconds, whether it's the right place to spend time in, or not.

29-12-2007
tfs star

I am sick of the sales already. Nothing is ever my size.

29-12-2007
I am half-sick of shadows

Don't "Shop after a girly lunch"...does this mean don't shop after several martinis? If so, I disagree...I find myself less affected by sticker shock after a cocktail :p

Seriously though, one of the British newspapers' (I think it was The Guardian) had three articles on "how to shop the sales"...which seemed a little over-the-top.

29-12-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Don't...
Sales shop with a friend; you will either have opposite tastes or end up fighting over the last Chloι shift in a size 12.
She can have it; I'm not a size 12.

My only rule for sales shopping is this: There are no rules! I made the mistake of planning every last detail when I went to Disneyland a few years ago, and we ended up throwing the list away (actually, I just packed it in my bag) and going by how we felt each day.

Planning ahead can be nice in some situations, but for the most part it will actually make your trip more hectic, whether it be to a shopping mall or to Disneyland.

rising star

on the alteration note. i found a studded dress that had a few studs dangling off for £144 down from £200. so i went to the counter and said i wouldn't pay £144 if it was faulty. they gave me £35 off to pay for repairs which took me at the most half an hour in front of hollyoaks. once upon a time i got a £70 skirt for £15 because the button was missing (but there was a replacement on the label...) so keep an eye out for tiny faults because half the staff can't be bothered to argue otherwise at this time of year!

the sales are BAD for my bank balance.

30-12-2007
rising star

also if you're in topshop (a place where i dare not venture near in the sales) they often mess up the sale tagging as it's just done with a gun so 2 of the same skirt can be very different prices...

30-12-2007
Iowa Girl at Heart

Thanks for posting, soft. It was a fun read.

I am a bargain shopoholic. Growing up with frugal parents really taught me well.

And if I spent full price on clothes, well... what would the fun be in that? I get so much more from finding an item at a spectacular price.

30-12-2007
rising star

Eschewing sales and saving up for pieces I really wanted and thought long and hard about marked a major turning point in my wardrobe. I'm much happier with it now. For me, sales shopping is a no-no altogether.

31-12-2007
scenester

Quote:
Be a successful sales shopper
• Repeat this mantra before you enter every shop: I will NOT buy anything that does not fit or flatter me.
Haha, so true! People are a little zany and will buy anything on sale.

02-01-2008
V.I.P.

Thanks so much for the list, it was a great and practial read!!

02-01-2008
Fashionably Late

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Thanks for posting, soft. It was a fun read.

I am a bargain shopoholic. Growing up with frugal parents really taught me well.

And if I spent full price on clothes, well... what would the fun be in that? I get so much more from finding an item at a spectacular price.
My thoughts exactly. I get so much satisfaction out of finding bargains. It is like a fun challenge that I have just won. Anybody can pay full price, but not everybody can sniff out a major discount!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sale, shopper, successful