How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-11-2007
backstage pass

TFS prom committee
This thread is dedicated to ensuring that my sister looks fantastic at her prom.So, she's going to her senior prom this year and she's thinking of where to find her dress and what it should look like. She's thinking maybe vintage or anything interesting. I know you TFS'ers could give some good tips on where to shop or ideas. We live in Boston ,(BTW) so all you Bostonians can chime in here.

here's some info on what she might like...
-does not have to be floor length gown
-going for a classic approach with definate room for pizzaz
-she is 5"7, thin and can work with alot in terms of shapes and silhouettes.
Here is some inspiration we found

Thanks in advance

24-11-2007
backstage pass

anyone?

oh! darling

No taffeta anything. We don't live in the 50s anymore!

That dress look form-fitting.
Make sure she can dance all night long in something that doesn't hold her legs back from moving.

front row

Sigh... if I had the chance to go back in time and do prom all over again, I'd change so many things. The dress, the hair, the shoes.... Is there anyone who feels the same way?

The #1 thing I learned was that it's not worth spending an arm and a leg on a dress you'll likely only wear once. I thought I made enough time to think about a dress (February), but I panicked at not finding the "perfect dress" and that's how I ended up getting a dress made. I feel so guilty now about the fact that my parents paid for it.

Your sister is very lucky to have someone like you help her look good at prom! I have a younger sister. I will try to instill some of my "wisdom" on her prom experience (next year!!) She actually wants to wear my prom dress to her prom (which coincidentally hasn't been worn since my prom), but I'm worried someone's going to realize that two sisters wore the same prom dress :p

24-11-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

I actually found having a dress made the cheaper option. In Canada, some schools have specific proms but many treat their graduation as a prom. I paid like 120 including materials and labour to have my dress made. I still like the shape of it, just wish I had chosen a different fabric. oh well.

24-11-2007
front row

Wow lucky! haha I'm too embarassed to even say how much my dress cost. Although I think it also had to do with the fact that I had it made at a bridal store. I had SWORN that I wouldn't get one made and in the end I did.
Yeahh for our highschool, our graduation ceremony was the day after prom weekend. Nobody really cares what we wear under those gowns But at least I wore the same shoes :p

24-11-2007
rising star

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ming-4919.html

front row

Definetly go to the stores, that you know others won't be likely to go to. Therefore, avoid the main anchor stores like Macy's, JcPenny's, etc,that a lot of other girls will be getting their crazy poofed tulle organza ridiculed sparkly wierdly beaded ballgowns from. Prom should be fun, and she should get a dress that she can wear in other occasions and still feel great in. If your going for vintage, I would say go for it, and you can always get it altered if the fit isn't right.

28-11-2007
Procrastinator.

I would advise against a strapless dress. It's impossible to be comfortable and dance all night when you're constantly trying to tug the top of your dress up to prevent a wardrobe malfunction. Seriously, just try lifting your arms to do the YMCA while wearing one. I speak from experience, since I went strapless for my junior prom (my dress also had a matching shrug -- hello, late '90s).

I think your sister is smart to avoid the floor-length formal gown. A shorter dress is so much more versatile and you don't have to worry about it dragging on the ground. Since your sister is 5'7", I bet she could wear tea-length, knee-length or a minidress equally well. Plus if her dress isn't overly glitzy or pageant-like, she could wear it again -- to a wedding or out to dinner, for instance.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
committee, prom, tfs