How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2005
rock-chic

Recently got a dress for £4.50 from the Scope shop.
A bit 1920's style in silver lace over black satin, fringed hem & very thin black
straps with silver on them.

09-04-2005
rising star

i got a kick-*** long light brown tweed coat with large round buttons and a rounded collar last week... it's kinda chanel-esque FOR $2.50! love the salvation army!

11-04-2005
no photos, no photos

after 3 Bloody Mary's at brunch a friend and I hit a "vintage" (not thrift) store around the corner from the restaurant.....$50 later

navy gauzey cotton western shirt with gold lurex plaid
light grey Members Only jacket...don't know, but I couldn't pass it up
50s era cocktail stirrers (yeah, like I needed any more)
random pins/buttons
Michael Jackson Thriller era stickers
razor blade necklace (not vintage)

I never spend that much money on vintage, but the shirt was the most expensive at $25 and I couldn't let somebody else buy it. They also had this amazing Revolutionary War style jacket that I tried to squeeze myself into (33 chest....so not gonna work)

11-04-2005
backstage pass

^^^ Love shopping after a few drinks...makes things much more interesting! Sounds like you found some great stuff! Michael Jackson stickers, 50's cocktail stirrers! The kind of things you think are perfectly legitimate buys after a bloody mary!

11-04-2005
no photos, no photos

and much more dangerous.....funny things are easily justifiable.

My friend bought a triple strand chunky resin necklace in pale green that matched the dress she was wearing....it was more than it should have been.

oh, well....

11-04-2005
backstage pass

Oh yes! I bought at least a dozen old dolls I found hysterically funny one day after some margeritas! Woke up the next day and couldn't quite see the appeal

12-04-2005
backstage pass

I found an amazing Christian Dior white leather bag from a fleamarket.

The lady didn't undestand the value, and sold it for 2 euros.. I can't stop using it!

12-04-2005
rising star

i love markets, i went to one today and found this little indian store, and they had the prettiest hand-made shoes and jewellery, i picked up some stunning earrings.

17-04-2005
rising star

I agree with you about Indian stores. Whenever I go to Little India I can't resist picking up something for my friends. I bought sequined slippers there BEFORE they became all the rage. And you can get loads of peacock feathers for practically nothing. I mage earring out of the "eyes" of the feathers for my sister once and everyone who saw them thought they were beautiful, so I ended up making so many of them. Try it, looks like a million bucks.

As for thrift stores I find you can get really good dealson vintage shearling. When i went with my friends once she got a brown shearling coat with a huge chic shawl collar for $40.

25-04-2005
front row

i got a turquoise boucle (sp?) jacket--cropped--in newport last week!

27-04-2005
trendsetter

I bought a cute summer dress and a belt to go with it, I'll post a picture when it's been fixed.

27-04-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPdeux
I have been watching these heartbreaking boots for about a week on ebay. I so want them. And what a bargain. But they are too big. TWO sizes too big. I hope someone with the right size feet snaps them up. I even went and measure my longest shoe just to see if i could create a mitigation in lieu!

Gawd, I am off to bed to mope...I might have to take my silver M.J slingbacks to bed to cuddle.

SJPdeux, I do that too: If I've decided I like something and it doesn't fit, I'll still go back and check...why, I don't know. And then I try to get one of my friends to get it. :p

27-04-2005
trendsetter

I bought a pretty black dress! I'll post it tonight

Always Coming Back Home To You - Atmosphere
28-04-2005
rock-chic

Dress for £3.50 at the Scope shop.
Silver lace over black with fringed hem & thin black straps with silver on.
Have worn it a couple of times & got loads of comliments and people saying 'You bought it where?'

21-05-2005
backstage pass

I went to a flea market where you could buy a big plastic bag for 2 GBP pounds and fill it up with anything from these enormous piles! Great concept!! Amongst handpainted silk scarves, vintage leather belts and gloves, and a vintage woollen cape, i also came across a cotton scarf with the old Gucci flower print - i think they are making bags with this print now...? I'm not usually a fan of Gucci, but this scarf is really sweet!

And once my friend's mother gave me a Jean Patou Couture skirt + jacket walking suit for freeee because i was the only one she knew who could fit into it. I love it, the quality is amazing! I really don't know which decade it's from though. Recently found out that Lagerfeld worked for this couture house in the beginning of his carrier.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scores, thrift