How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-05-2004
kabhi alvida

i found a great white and gold woven leather belt at Peekaboo in Portobello which goes great with jeans. im still adapting to the vintage/thrift thing-im going to start with accesories and work my way up. but my mums wardrobe is like a trasure chest, literally. i found a great sheer oversized long sleeved peasant blouse in there which im going to wear with my woven chloe belt on the top and jeans. but my advice to anyone is raid your mum's wardrobes and go to thrift stores in areas like chelsea and knightsbridge-the oxfam on the kings road had a cute YSL fitted jacked last time i was in there, and im going to get a pearl necklance from the one down the road from me tomorrow

15-05-2004
seagreen serenades

Welcome to you impossibleprincess

Last weekend I found the most beautiful 50's dress - dark blue
And a few minutes later the perfect bag to go with - teeny and gold

15-05-2004
backstage pass

Somebody earlier in this thread pointed out the Salvation Army. I must agree i have been goin to the SA
since i was in High School. I actually stopped around 93 but just picked it up again. I get so mad when i go to these high end Thrift/vintage shops in Manhattan and see the same stuff for 4 times the price. I suggest
to anyone that has a SA around the to use it.

15-05-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:41 am
I usually go to Goodwill, Junior League, and D.A.V., and if there is an ASPCA shop, which there isn't in Kansas City. I don't shop from religious-based charity shops, because I don't support missions. Hence, no Salvation Army for me. There's also a local needy-families' charity shop that I shop at a lot, but that is mostly to get work clothes for my husband. Their stuff isn't that great usually, and their women's selection is dire, but for work clothes, the prices can't be beat.
I don't go to Salvation Army because their whole existence is about promoting Missionary work, with which I heartily disagree. I mean, if they were just going to poor countries to do humanitarian work, like provide food, vaccinations, education, ect., I would be wholeheartedly in support, but their thing is to try to convert all those non-Christians to Christianity while they're at it, and I think is incredibly unfair, intrusive, presumptuous, culturally insensitive, and generally Not Cool. More on proselytization.

Quote:
The Salvation Army is, and has always been, first and foremost, a Christian Christian is a religion but this has been lost over the years where it is now only seen to be a thrift shop or a social services charity. This has caused a major rethink within the Salvation Army who are once again placing the Salvation Army on the map of Christian churches
Taken from here. Here's an article discussing how they insist that their employees publicly affirm their status as Christians, and they have a history of discriminating against homosexuals, though they are now offering Domestic Partner benefits.

The best way to find thrift-shops, I think, is to hit the Yellow Pages, and see what is listed, make yourself an itinerary through town and check them out--see what causes their revenue supports, what their goods look like, and how their prices are. That way you can shop your consciousness and get good stuff for your wardrobe. My heartiest recommendation is Goodwill.

Oh, and while I am on my soapbox, here, I want to publically state that I don't hve any beef against Christians or Christianity as a whole, but I do not agree with missionary work, I do not agree with Witnessing, I do not agree with proselytization, and I don't agree with evangelism. I think it is fine and great if you are strong of faith and love your God and it helps you be a good person, but I DO NOT think anyone should go around trying to get everyone else to fall in line with their religious beliefs.

backstage pass

At the Goodwill site, there is a link to online auctions. They sometimes have the greatest stuff like lot of vintage gloves or hats. And sooo soo much fur coats! Check it out.

seagreen serenades

Yesterday:

Small, pale green suitcase – 3 euro
Light brown leather envelope clutch – 20 cents
Whitish pink leather gloves with lovely stitching detail – 10 cent
Lonnng string of the good, real pearls – 50 cent
A frightening load of other jewellery there’s no point in describing

Books/plays :
Playboy of the Western World
The taming of the shrew
A Spaniard in the works (John Lennon)
Oscar remembered
An ancient Wuthering Heights (because 3 other copies just ain’t enough )

16-05-2004
backstage pass

wow SA sounds evil. I do not like what you say they do and have done. I will think about that. Thanks for the
info. I guess I never cared enough either way.

24-05-2004
paint it black

Finally a great find!
Vintage Gucci handbag and cosmetic's bag - grand total of $7
and a red leather Coach wallet $2!

24-05-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@May 16th, 2004 - 11:38 am

An ancient Wuthering Heights (because 3 other copies just ain’t enough )
can never get enough of wuthering heights...

24-05-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by OriginalGucciGirl+May 14th, 2004 - 8:16 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OriginalGucciGirl @ May 14th, 2004 - 8:16 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It@Apr 1st, 2004 - 11:14 pm

Here's that plaid dress I was talking about. I was taking pictures of some of my vintage stuff for an online lookbook I am compiling as part of the "resources" section of my website, and I snapped a couple of this treasure. It is blanket-weight wool flannel, bias cut on the skirt.
AYLI - You are an inspiration. Whenever i look at the things you have posted, i start to like vintage more and more. I love some of the clothes you posted, and would have never considered vintage clothing before. Thanx for that. [/b][/quote]
I agree, the clothes you post are always so classic. You really have a great style, unique and elegant but not too serious, and it's obviously very true to your personality.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by maarit@May 24th, 2004 - 7:42 pm
Finally a great find!
aah, wow

24-05-2004
paint it black

Quote:
Originally posted by Liszs+May 24th, 2004 - 12:20 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Liszs @ May 24th, 2004 - 12:20 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-maarit@May 24th, 2004 - 7:42 pm
Finally a great find!
aah, wow [/b][/quote]
Who would have thought that in Tallin, huh?

24-05-2004
V.I.P.

!Congrats!

25-05-2004
paint it black

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@May 24th, 2004 - 2:19 pm
!Congrats!
Thanks!

28-05-2004
kabhi alvida

Quote:
found a grey fur schiaparelli coat from the 40's for $12!!!!!!! it is amazing! and in mint condition.
i also found a huge cream bottega veneta tote bag- woven- for $1.
Asta, you're finds are amazing!!!
I always see designer shoes in thrift stores in my area-and they are always too small!! always Dior, always size 3!! aaahhh!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scores, thrift