How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
12-01-2004
  1
rising star
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 150
Trunk Show Etiquette
Bergdorf is having several trunk shows that I would be interesting in attending. I was wondering if at the trunk show, do they expect you to purchase items right then & there? I know you need to RSVP, but are there some other things I should know before attending?

Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
 
13-01-2004
  2
rising star
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 150
Bump.....

Does anyone know about this ??????

  Reply With Quote
13-01-2004
  3
no tom ford, no thanks.
 
mikeijames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: closer than you think.
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,899
sorry, i am a sample sale kinda girl...good luck.

__________________
everything is never quite enough.
  Reply With Quote
13-01-2004
  4
Melody Nelson
 
chanel_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,875
Quote:
Originally posted by social*butterfly@Jan 12th, 2004 - 10:36 am
Bergdorf is having several trunk shows that I would be interesting in attending. I was wondering if at the trunk show, do they expect you to purchase items right then & there? I know you need to RSVP, but are there some other things I should know before attending?

Thanks!
No nothing has to be prepaid....unless you buy the $$$ stuff you just take a look at the stuf and reserve it in your size

__________________
"Love is patient, love is kind."
  Reply With Quote
13-03-2007
  5
botanizing on the asphalt
 
laika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: nyc
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,566
Bump....

I know we have a lot of pro shoppers at tfs....:p

Can someone here answer the original question above? I've never been to a trunk show before , but am considering going to Dries at Barney's this year.

How does it work? Is it necessary to make an appointment, or can you just show up? Do you get to try stuff on; or do they just have fit models? Do you have to pay a certain percentage if you place an order?

Also, is there any particular advantage to going the trunk show route, as opposed to just waiting for the stock to hit the sales floor?

thanks in advance, all.

edit: just noticed that this is in the Collections forum ....perhaps it should be in shopping?

__________________
....I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable."

Last edited by laika; 13-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
13-03-2007
  6
fashion icon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,260
it depends on the trunk show.

Neimans had a Stella I went to. It was a small invite only. I went and put my name down to reserve pieces NM was only getting in.

I have been to a Derek Lam and this season I will be going to Yigal and Doo ri.....at a small boutique. Those...they bring the entire collection and you can buy whatever you want....but you pay half that day and the rest when it comes.

If there is a problem with your order they refund you. If it comes in and there is a major issue, they refund you.

I am going to a Dries at Barneys next week...there....they have everything the entire company ordered and I can order whatever they want and they will make it for me. I still have to pay 50%.

I believe most trunk shows....you pay 50% down and the rest when it comes...

Neiman Marcus is different. They get in samples of just what they are getting and you reserve your size.

  Reply With Quote
14-03-2007
  7
botanizing on the asphalt
 
laika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: nyc
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,566
thanks, guccigal! That's very informative.

Could one of the mods please move this thread to the shopping forum? I think it may get more responses there.

__________________
....I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable."
  Reply With Quote
15-03-2007
  8
V.I.P.
 
Caffeine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Williamsburg, NY
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,712
in general you can just show up. but I recommend an appointment so that you will be viewing the collection with a guide - your SA and you get more attention.
Most of the trunk shows require 50% deposit. (Balenciaga boutique+barneys). But Barneys doesn't always call the customer when items come in so you have to stay on top of it and call often when the season comes.

Balenciaga trunk shows are always quite nice. You don't have to put downpayment if the store orders the particular item in your size. But you never know if there is a waitlist already during the trunk show (every SA has their own list so say if four people decide to wait in line and they only ordered two, then there is a chance that you won't get it although you are the first on your SA's list - then there will be a fight over the popular items - good luck). But if you pay 50% down then there will be a piece of garment made FOR you so it's guaranteed. -- the way it operates is indeed slightly different from Barneys.

Also at Balenciaga you can order the clothes shown on runway but the store didn't buy (or didn't buy your size). Some times different fabric and colors are also offered, which is really nice. You'll be able to get something that is unique.

I haven't been to a Bergdorf trunk show yet so I'm not sure...

at Marc Jacobs it's more like a wishlist. no downpayment needed. of course it's not guaranteed then. But you have less obligation.

then just dress nicely and show up. enjoy the food and drinks. Have a good time!


Last edited by Caffeine; 15-03-2007 at 08:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
15-03-2007
  9
fashion icon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,260
yeah trunk shows can be really fun! just go to see all the clothes, etc sometimes the designer is even there!

I have met Derek Lam, Stella McCartney, Alberta Ferreti, and next week Yigal A.....and in April Doo Ri!

  Reply With Quote
16-03-2007
  10
V.I.P.
 
Guessgirl96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cleveland
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
in general you can just show up. but I recommend an appointment so that you will be viewing the collection with a guide - your SA and you get more attention.
Most of the trunk shows require 50% deposit. (Balenciaga boutique+barneys). But Barneys doesn't always call the customer when items come in so you have to stay on top of it and call often when the season comes.

Balenciaga trunk shows are always quite nice. You don't have to put downpayment if the store orders the particular item in your size. But you never know if there is a waitlist already during the trunk show (every SA has their own list so say if four people decide to wait in line and they only ordered two, then there is a chance that you won't get it although you are the first on your SA's list - then there will be a fight over the popular items - good luck). But if you pay 50% down then there will be a piece of garment made FOR you so it's guaranteed. -- the way it operates is indeed slightly different from Barneys.

Also at Balenciaga you can order the clothes shown on runway but the store didn't buy (or didn't buy your size). Some times different fabric and colors are also offered, which is really nice. You'll be able to get something that is unique.

I haven't been to a Bergdorf trunk show yet so I'm not sure...

at Marc Jacobs it's more like a wishlist. no downpayment needed. of course it's not guaranteed then. But you have less obligation.

then just dress nicely and show up. enjoy the food and drinks. Have a good time!
Barneys doesnt call you when your item comes in even if you put a deposit down? Is your deposit lost then if you dont stay on top of it? It seems to irrisponsible on their end.

I should've prabably asked at balenciaga yesterday, but is the return policy at balenciaga the same for pre orders? Store credit within 7 days?

  Reply With Quote
18-03-2007
  11
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,930
the deposit is fully refunded at barney's if the item comes in and you don't like it/want it...

but i had bad experiences there- so i don't bother going anymore...
i ordered some items from dries at a trunk show once- and never got them...
one time they got hte shirt in green when i ordered it in white...and another item simply never showed up---seems they didn't order enough or dries didn't ship enough---whatever....
either way- they never called me, i had to call them...
they apologised and very kindly returned my deposit, but now i feel like it's just better to have a salesperson who knows your taste who puts things aside for you...

but you definitely do not need an appt -
and to answer your quest laika- what they have at most trunk shows are the actual samples---so they are all one size/sample size...
you just sort of have to guesstimate your size and try it when it comes in if you are ordering...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
21-03-2007
  12
botanizing on the asphalt
 
laika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: nyc
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,566
thanks ladies! That was very helpful.
Very sorry to hear about your bad experience, softgrey. I'm amazed that barney's is so irresponsible.

__________________
....I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable."
  Reply With Quote
21-03-2007
  13
fashion icon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
the deposit is fully refunded at barney's if the item comes in and you don't like it/want it...

but i had bad experiences there- so i don't bother going anymore...
i ordered some items from dries at a trunk show once- and never got them...
that is good to know. i get called to go all the time. Yes you get the deposit back but its annoying because you already paid half and paid for it on your bill months ago. so what is the point!

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2007
  14
backstage pass
 
unplugged66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: homme
Posts: 817
This was helpful! I've been invited to several Holt Renfrew private trunk shows. However I've never gone since I didn't get the concept of it. Heck sounds like fun I must go. Although just for being there I feel I might be pressured to get something. Are you pressured when attending this shows?

  Reply With Quote
24-05-2007
  15
V.I.P.
 
luckyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,769
Marni's trunk show is at Barneys on May 29 and 30. does anyone know what's the best time to go to avoid the "crowds"? is it worth going for the experience or should I just buy online? more choices at the trunk show, maybe?

should I wear marni to the show or is that overdoing it?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
etiquette, trunk
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.